Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

how do you install a component set?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 04:04 PM

how do you install a component set?

i want to buy a set of components for the front speakers....is there a write up for it anywhere or could someone give me a quick lesson..thanks
Old 09-18-2004, 04:36 PM

Installing a set of components is really easy to do. The hardest part is gonna be mounting the tweeter. But even that is a fairly simple procedure. The factory tweeter has a metal mounting bracket attached to the back of it. All you have to do is get that bracket off of the stock tweeter without bending it all to hell & then use a hot glue gun to attach it to the new tweeter. It's really really easy, just make sure to buy good glue sticks. Then the mid should screw right in place of the factory speaker. Some speakers have different hole patterns drilled in them for easy fitment. I know first hand that Jl Audio 6-1/2' components bolt right in with no problems. http://jlaudio.com/evolution/ZR650CS.html
Once you have the speakers mounted then you can wire up the crossovers per the instructions. Thats it, reassemble & enjoy.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:54 AM

simple: mount the tweeter, the speaker

connect the cd player pos and neg to the "input"
connect the woofer pos and neg to the "woofer"
connect the tweeter pos and neg to the "tweeter"
Old 09-20-2004, 11:41 AM

sounds good..thanks guys...where do you normally mount the crossovers...just screw them to the door i guess?
Old 09-20-2004, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by joeyd
sounds good..thanks guys...where do you normally mount the crossovers...just screw them to the door i guess?
They aren't waterproof so don't put them in the door. I would actually recommend tucking them up under the dash somewhere and securing them with tie wraps so they don't rattle.

I just noticed that you are in a 5th gen. Couple of suggestions:
1. Try and aim the tweeters a bit. I noticed that if I mounted mine flat against the A pillar in the stock location it was pointing into the top of the dash. Try and aim them up and away from the windshield.

2. There is a good spot for your crossovers right near the kick panels, on the drivers side it will be under the hood release. You have to unscrew a few things but they fit in there nice and snug.