Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

so,... smoke coming out of the Amp means....

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 07:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

so,... smoke coming out of the Amp means....

well, as some of you prob. red my last post, I was trying to wire new rear speakers, (replace my broken bose) with a small amp (240w) into two 140w cheap speakers.

well, I had all wired up today, the only problem was, the amp was just on the trunk's floor. (sliding around while driving) so today i decided to tie the amp to the cealing of the trunck. well for some reason the sound had stoped working when i did that.
so i try to find out what was wrong (run cables see if they didn't disconnect) change ground cable location. test remote....

finaly my last test. remove the power cord and put it back again.
well when I did that. (with my power drill) sparks started coming off the area, then I start smelling this burned plastic, I look at the amp, and I see the smoking coming out.

well at least the amp was free (giving from a friend of mine, guess I should give it back to him now.)

well for some resson, I plugged the amps from the bose into the speaker and they are working, fine (there is a Fair sound on it)
is this bad; to have the speakers wired to the bose amps.

the speakers are 4ohm, the bose is, (1 or 2 ohm right)
is the only difference: less quality sound. (and bad high volume sound)
Old 10-07-2004, 12:48 PM

ALWAYS disconnect the fuse near the battery before you go connecting and disconnecting that power wire. Always hook up your ground wire first and disconnect it last.
You live and learn though. Nobody taught me either and I burned up an amp when I was young so don't feel bad. Remember, always disconnect the fuse near the battery before you do anything to that amp.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:01 PM

i burnt out my first amp after 2days. i lifted it at an angle while it was on and shaking it so i could see the neon light flicker lol it looked cool but, dam i blew that fawker up