Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Weird Speaker Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 07:53 PM

Weird Speaker Problem

I'm having a weird problem with my left side speakers that I'm hoping one of the audio experts around here might be able to help diagnose before taking it to the dealership.

I have the 6th generation Max w/ the Bose Audio System and I've hooked up a 12"inch MTX subwoofer with an Alpine MRP-T220 amp. I tapped into the rear Driver side 8" speaker with a line out converter. Not sure if this is the correct name for it, but it has the wires to tap into the speaker and then the RCA output on the other end. I twisted the right and left positive ends of the line out converter and the right and left negative ends of it to only have one set of positive and negative wires. I tapped these into the rear left bose speaker. This was back in April and it worked without a problem. Or so I believe, the problem may have been happening and I never noticed.

The problem I'm having is when I am playing CD's. The left speakers in the car play garbled and VERY low. I can have the volume all the way up, and you'll barely hear the left speakers. If I have the radio turned on all the speakers play normal and the volume is equal between the left and right speakers. ONLY HAPPENS WITH CD's!! However, it doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes the CD will play normal in all the speakers and then all of a sudden it will cut out in the left speakers. Sometimes it happens immediately, sometimes it takes a few minutes, sometimes it doesn't happen at all. It NEVER happens when I'm listening to the radio. Sometimes changing the cd (6 disc changer) it will play normal after the change, sometimes it won't. It's completely random!

I've tried cutting the power to the amp and it still does it. I'm not sure if this just started recently, or if it did it from day one, but the first time I heard it was about a month ago. I want to say it's doing it more often now than it was a month ago, but it might be only because I am paying closer attention to it now.

Would tapping into the back bose wire cause behavior like this where the tapped wire side of the car would play SIGNIFICANTLY lower than the other side of the car? And why would it only do it for CD's and not the radio?

I know there is a risk with tapping into the wire of reducing sound quality, but I thought that would be most impacted in the 12" subwoofer (which sounds good). But turning off power to the amp should stop the strain on the Bose speaker tapped into, right?

Knowing the service dept at my dealership, I can see them saying that the subwoofer messed up the system and them not wanting to fix anything. The thing that makes no sense to me is why it will only play garbled with the CD player while the radio plays just fine. And why it would only be garbled some of the time. Seems to be an issue with the CD player.

Has anyone ever seen or heard of these types of symptoms or have any idea of what I could try to help narrow down the problem?

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Lemme know if you got this fixed man. I have the same problem!