Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

thoughts please on my upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2001, 06:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Ok guys i want to put a subwoofer in the trunk. I could mount it where the factory one is but it's like a 6" hole.. so perhaps putting one in the trunk on the floor in an enclosure.

I could get the Sony XPlod 10 or 12" -- would I get one or two? And put them in a small box in my trunk.

Then for an Amp I've found these two:

MTX Thunder 6304 or Sony Xplod 4-channel

Or should I get an integrated amp/subwoofer like the Infinity Basslink?

I also want to get tweeters to replace my stock ones. And eventually replace my door speakers too. Recommendations????

For an idea on my listening style -- I listen to rock, pop, and trance house stuff. I like some bass, but ultra-crisp loud high-end is much nicer to me.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-17-2001, 06:39 PM
Disco Biscuit

I would go ahead and get a good set of components. maybe DA or CDT? Do both the woofers and tweets at the same time. try to stay away from Sony. I would say PPI, MTX or Alpine since thats your HU.
Subs, one will do fine, and I'd get a good one, JL, Focal, Alumipro. All work well in a small enclosure. With as nice as the rest of the car is, try to stay with nicer stuff. And that aint Sony IMO
Old 04-17-2001, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by Whitemax
I would go ahead and get a good set of components. maybe DA or CDT? Do both the woofers and tweets at the same time. try to stay away from Sony. I would say PPI, MTX or Alpine since thats your HU.
Subs, one will do fine, and I'd get a good one, JL, Focal, Alumipro. All work well in a small enclosure. With as nice as the rest of the car is, try to stay with nicer stuff. And that aint Sony IMO
Ok. Thanks. Also what are some other good speakers? Pioneer? JBL?

Should I be putting 2-way speakers in the doors?

SO you'd say ONE 12" subwoofer, in an enclosure in the trunk?

I guess I'll go with the MTX amp.
Old 04-17-2001, 07:32 PM
Disco Biscuit

I don't care for Pioneer much, I have heard good things about JBL.
Ya, 1 12" in the trunk I think would do fine. Maybe have the port exit into the cabin though the hole for the factory sub.
Old 04-17-2001, 07:39 PM

Maybe have the port exit into the cabin though the hole for the factory sub.
Can you explain this a little? I don't know what it means.

BTW, it's a 6" hole

thanks,
/aac
Old 04-17-2001, 07:49 PM
Disco Biscuit

OK, if you build a box for the sub with a port in it instead of sealed, run the port to exit into the cabin through the hole. have a trim ring built to fill up the hole and the port opeing in the middle of it, with the factory grill over it.
Old 04-17-2001, 07:57 PM

OK, if you build a box for the sub with a port in it instead of sealed, run the port to exit into the cabin through the hole. have a trim ring built to fill up the hole and the port opeing in the middle of it, with the factory grill over it.
I was hoping not to have to build a box. I want to just buy a box to put the thing in, and put it in the trunk. I don't know if I should do sealed or not... and still not sure how I'm going to get the box hard-mounted in my trunk.
Old 04-17-2001, 08:01 PM
Disco Biscuit

I would suggest a custom box. A simple one against the back of the seat wouldn't cost you much more than an off the shelf, and you can mount it to the back of the seat easily....
Old 04-17-2001, 09:21 PM

Someone mention port?
Old 04-17-2001, 10:33 PM

hmm.. personaly i wouldnt go with ported box. they make the bass so to say, sloppier and like blumpier. sealed boxes are much crisper and puch like firmer so to say. sealed is like bump bump bump and ported is like biiioump bbbbiiuomp biiiuomp. it distorts it a lil to make it louder. i (had) one 12 in my trunk and it lit up the car just fine, until my amp decided to croak. actually it was the fuse. if you get the MTX amp, replece the fuse with a better quality one, since thats what ended up ruining my amp. hope this helps.

look at my sig for my audio pic.
Old 04-18-2001, 06:35 AM
OG and counting...

Originally posted by acitrano

Ok. Thanks. Also what are some other good speakers? Pioneer? JBL?

Should I be putting 2-way speakers in the doors?

SO you'd say ONE 12" subwoofer, in an enclosure in the trunk?

I guess I'll go with the MTX amp.
JBL is good. I am with Whitemax on Pioneers because of their reliability. Bostons are a good choice. Polks are good. a/d/s is simply . That is why I chose their components for my 3rd Gen.
Old 04-18-2001, 06:58 AM
Disco Biscuit

IMO, a well tuned ported box, tuned to the right frequency, will sound great. Tight response, and higher output, especially considering the kind of music he listens to. I have nothing at all against sealed boxes, and love them, but a ported box, if built tot he specs of the wooer and not an off the shelf one will do great.

Originally posted by Brandon90gxe
hmm.. personaly i wouldnt go with ported box. they make the bass so to say, sloppier and like blumpier. sealed boxes are much crisper and puch like firmer so to say. sealed is like bump bump bump and ported is like biiioump bbbbiiuomp biiiuomp. it distorts it a lil to make it louder. i (had) one 12 in my trunk and it lit up the car just fine, until my amp decided to croak. actually it was the fuse. if you get the MTX amp, replece the fuse with a better quality one, since thats what ended up ruining my amp. hope this helps.

look at my sig for my audio pic.
Old 04-18-2001, 05:43 PM

box materials

Ok guys .. if I'm going to spec and make this box myself (computer, amp, subwoofer) I need some help.

What kind of wood?

What kind of glue?

What kind of carpeting to put over it will match the charcoal-colored trunk?

What else do I need?

thanks
Old 04-18-2001, 05:45 PM

also

Any suggestions the best way to get speaker wires out to the speakers in the doors?
Old 04-18-2001, 06:58 PM
Disco Biscuit

I would use 3\4" mdf that can be bought from Home Depot for around $3 for a 2'x4' sheet. I would also recommend using polyurethane glue instrad of regular wood glue. It is stronger, and it is gap filling , unlike wood glue, which saves having to use silicon caulk. As far as routing speaker wires to the front, I just run them under the carpet along the sides of the car.Run it up behind the kick panel, and then through the factory rubber boot into the door. This may take a little work, but well worth it when done. Actually took me about 45 min to get the wire through. but not hard at all. Go to the local car audio shops and look at the enclosure carpet they have and pick the one that matches best. Let me know the parameters of the woofer and I can give you the basic dimentions for the box. Also do you want sealed or ported. Sealed is easiest, but ported isn't hard either.
Old 04-19-2001, 02:23 PM

IMO, a well tuned ported box, tuned to the right frequency, will sound great. Tight response, and higher output, especially considering the kind of music he listens to. I have nothing at all against sealed boxes, and love them, but a ported box, if built tot he specs of the wooer and not an off the shelf one will do great.

One more thing though --- I already HAVE that hole in the rear deck. If I remove the stock subwoofer, and mount the new one right under, I'm ok right?
Old 04-19-2001, 02:34 PM
Disco Biscuit

Ya that would work.........
Old 04-19-2001, 02:39 PM

Ya that would work.........

The hole is 6" and the new sub is 12". I was thinking a custom box that held the new sub a few inches underneath... ?
Old 04-19-2001, 02:51 PM

no, instead you can build the box (im not completely sure how ported look on the inside) but build it so the sub is on the inside of the box and then make the hole in the box out the top so thats where all the bass waves come out of. IM kind of thinkin a bose sub. for home theater you konw they have the big ol box, the speaker is on the inside and theres just a hole on the outside of the box where all the bass comes through. and that whole is the 6" hole you got in your deck. check out that xtantmax guys audio install, basically what he did is like what your gonna do.

heres his site, check it out its pretty cool stuff http://members.cardomain.com/xtantmaxima
Old 04-19-2001, 04:25 PM
Disco Biscuit

That's like a bandpass. You could put the face of the sub up close, but I would build the box so that the sub faces through the trunk access hole, and have the port on the top of the box, under the 6" hole where the factory used to be. Just a thought. You would get the most acurate sound from the sub that way.