Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Question on tweeters...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 09:37 AM

Question on tweeters...

On the recommendation of another member I'm posting in this forum as well...

Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that the tweeters may be the weakest part of the Bose system. I took care of the sub problem for the most part by putting sound deadening material in the rear deck, but the tweeters are WEAK (and the left one often goes out for no reason). I would like to replace them with some quality ones (though not outrageously priced) and was wondering if anyone could make some recommendations and possibly know of a how-to anywhere? Thanks in advance.

BTW, I have a 2002 SE w/ the Bose (of course)
Old 11-21-2004, 04:13 PM

I don't think it would be a good replacement. Bose has very weird resistance in their speakers. I think that if you only replace the tweeters, they're gonna get burned eventually.

BTW, what did you use for deadening of the rear deck? What size of material did you put on?
Old 11-21-2004, 04:24 PM

Are there any tweeters that would match the resistance of the Bose system? I know they are Clarion so perhaps there are some better quality Clarions?

For the rear deck I bought the Dynamat wedge pack (1.5x2 ft) for $35 at Best Buy. It's a general sound deadener that you can stick on any surface. I followed the instructions here: http://www.innerbean.com/housecor. It's not perfect but a vast improvement in bass quality with greatly reduced rattling. About a 4-5 hour job by yourself and a very good investment IMO.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:15 AM

I've replaced mine with some 'alright' JBL's I had lying around and the sound did improve But in the quest of constantly upgrading, Im looking to replace those with some better tweets and an inline crossover. Hoping the crossover makes the difference. Peace_

Originally Posted by Andronicus1
On the recommendation of another member I'm posting in this forum as well...

Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that the tweeters may be the weakest part of the Bose system. I took care of the sub problem for the most part by putting sound deadening material in the rear deck, but the tweeters are WEAK (and the left one often goes out for no reason). I would like to replace them with some quality ones (though not outrageously priced) and was wondering if anyone could make some recommendations and possibly know of a how-to anywhere? Thanks in advance.

BTW, I have a 2002 SE w/ the Bose (of course)
Old 11-22-2004, 11:47 AM

^^Could you tell me what size/resistence I would need? And is an inline crossover necessary? I'm new to audio stuff so I'm not sure what that is...thanks!
Old 11-22-2004, 12:13 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Actually with the Bose the only thing not affected by the lower impedance is the tweeters. You can replace them with any regular 4Ohm tweets of your choice.

--Don
Old 11-22-2004, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
Actually with the Bose the only thing not affected by the lower impedance is the tweeters. You can replace them with any regular 4Ohm tweets of your choice.

--Don
Great...thanks for the advice!
Old 11-22-2004, 12:56 PM

Don,

Do you think a 3,500hz cut-off crossover would improve the sound over the stock input on the Bose tweeters?

Thanks

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max

--Don
Old 12-06-2004, 11:27 AM

Sorry to bring an old thread back to the top but I am now seriously shopping and I am having trouble finding what I think I need. For example, these are only 4 ohms and I was told I need 40...http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...etailComponent. Also I'm not sure what size or if I need domed...I'm really new to this stuff so any product recommendations would be greatly appreciated!