Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

yellow top optima battery, help

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005 | 11:53 AM

yellow top optima battery, help

tried to buy a yellow top optima battery and they couldnt seem to get it to fit, we cut off the wire ties and took it out of the holders, and even pulled the wire out from under the air filter thingy but it just won't fit the terminals are too close to the middle of the battery

so i went to pep boys and they had the skinny yellow top optima battery, that would definetly fit, but it was a lot smaller

i asked some guy about it and he told me it was really for a secondary battery and he didnt recommend it, told me to upgrade my alternator, he had a mullet so i dunno if i should listen to him

the reason i want a yellow top is because im afraid my lights will dim every time the subwoofer hits

is the skinny yellow top optima battery just as good, or is there a better solution

did anyone get the fatter battery to fit?
Old 02-05-2005 | 01:43 PM
2-Wheelin it...

if you can, get the dual post yellow tops. they'll fit and you can do some dressing up of the terminals. i did this and was able to keep my audio seperate from the rest of the car. pic below...

Old 02-05-2005 | 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by PoLo
if you can, get the dual post yellow tops. they'll fit and you can do some dressing up of the terminals. i did this and was able to keep my audio seperate from the rest of the car. pic below...

thats phat, where is the negative wire? i dont see it plugged into the front

how much was that battery

do you know the model #?
Old 02-05-2005 | 05:28 PM
2-Wheelin it...

if you look at the TOP right chrome terminal, the 0/1 gauge wire is for hte system and the 8awg black wire is the stock ground wire. on the TOP left that's power to the audio and lower is stock power. the yellow top is model D34/78, information about it here on the optima site...

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...cal_specs.html

fyi, the side terminals can be purchased at any INTERSTATE BATTERY store. go to http://www.ibsa.com/estore/default.asp to find the store near you. all you need is the side terminal posts. you DO NOT want to buy GM side terminal posts. you want regular side terminal posts. the GM ones are hexagon shaped and the OEM will not fit. if you look at my picture again, the right side ground is the GM one since i purchased it by accident but i left it there cause it was shiney and looked nice. the other one (lower power terminal) is a regular dull round side terminal post.

this should be enough info to get you going.