Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Head Unit shut down

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2001, 09:48 PM

Today my head unit shut off. It's a Clarion 7575, and all of a sudden, the sound cut and when I looked down, the screen read "GOODBYE" like I was turning it off. Then it went blank. Usually, when I turn it off, there's still a clock on the display, but now there's nothing. It's like I unplugged it, but I'm not sure how that could have happened. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 04-30-2001, 11:44 PM

Hmmm,...did you solder the connection when you installed the head unit? It is possible that a connection has come loose or disconnected.

Can you turn it on and off now? Or is your problem that the clock doesnt show up anymore when you shut the unit off?
Old 04-30-2001, 11:56 PM

Everything was soldered when installed. The problem isn't the display, it's that everything shut down. The head unit itself turned off and now won't turn back on. I was just saying that usually when the head unit is turned off, the clock is stil there. So now, it's like there is no power to the head unit. The amps are no longer turning on either since no signal is coming out of the head unit.

Originally posted by DCmax
Hmmm,...did you solder the connection when you installed the head unit? It is possible that a connection has come loose or disconnected.

Can you turn it on and off now? Or is your problem that the clock doesnt show up anymore when you shut the unit off?
Old 05-01-2001, 12:01 AM

99% possibility that your 12v power lead came undone. Check the connections, if they are intact, it could be a short, but I seriously doubt it.
Old 05-01-2001, 07:16 PM

Very possible you're battery is about to die. I'd get it checked out.
Old 05-01-2001, 07:21 PM

Shadow: are you having problems starting your engine? A head unit wouldnt just shut off if the battery were about to die, it takes very little power to run a head unit.
Old 05-01-2001, 07:26 PM

No, the car isn't having problems starting. I think the battery is a little weak and I'm replacing it soon, but everything was going fine. Then it shut down all of a sudden with no warning.
Originally posted by DCmax
Shadow: are you having problems starting your engine? A head unit wouldnt just shut off if the battery were about to die, it takes very little power to run a head unit.
Old 05-01-2001, 07:34 PM

Most of the stress put on a battery is from the actual "starting up" of the engine. Even if the battery were on its death bed and you were to switch the ingnition into accessory mode, it would be able to turn the head unit on.

Pull out the deck from the dash, Im convinced a simple re-connection will remedy your problem.
Old 05-01-2001, 08:28 PM

I'm positive the connections are all nicely soldered in on his car b/c I had problems before when I did a ghetto install on his car at first but I went back and redid everything. You might want to check out the alternator Jeff. Pushing 2 amps on the car can't be helping its lifespan and isn't that a problem w/ Maximas?

The signs of impending alternator failure(at least what happened on my Accord):
1. Random things start shutting off while the car is running ie. stereo, cruise control, windows get sluggish
2. Car stumbles on acceleration
3. Car will start fine but gradually loses power to accessories.

If you want, you can pull the head unit and try installing it onto my Prelude, I'm pretty sure my wiring harness for my 7375 is the same. Its gonna be damned near impossible to get your stereo out though considering the kit is riveted in. You could always just wait for me to get home, or stop buying damn things off Ebay.
Old 05-01-2001, 08:47 PM

Justin, I know the alternator is going, it's whining like a *****. I'm going to the shop tomorrow to see what they say, oh, the kit isn't riveted in, the old one was, but not this one. If they have to pull the kit, that's fine, I have a spare piece Dean made in brushed out of a newer thinner material so it will conform better. I bought it off a shop on Ebay, not just some random guy. Well, if this is shot, CVA-1005 here I come.

Originally posted by Mishap
I'm positive the connections are all nicely soldered in on his car b/c I had problems before when I did a ghetto install on his car at first but I went back and redid everything. You might want to check out the alternator Jeff. Pushing 2 amps on the car can't be helping its lifespan and isn't that a problem w/ Maximas?

The signs of impending alternator failure(at least what happened on my Accord):
1. Random things start shutting off while the car is running ie. stereo, cruise control, windows get sluggish
2. Car stumbles on acceleration
3. Car will start fine but gradually loses power to accessories.

If you want, you can pull the head unit and try installing it onto my Prelude, I'm pretty sure my wiring harness for my 7375 is the same. Its gonna be damned near impossible to get your stereo out though considering the kit is riveted in. You could always just wait for me to get home, or stop buying damn things off Ebay.