Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

RCA to Speaker Wire adapter, please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 08:01 PM

RCA to Speaker Wire adapter, please help

I have finally gotten my subs and amp. 2 MTX twelves, they should hit very nice. I do have a problem though (there's always something, right?) - I read the FAQs and all and know that it is possible to hook the subs up to the rear speakers. However, there are a couple problems that I have.

The first of the problems I run into is the actual connection of the subs to the rear speakers. Is it possible to wire up my own Speaker-wire to RCA adapter out of an old RCA cable and some speaker wire? If so, I assume that the inside prong of the RCA is positive and the outside ring is negative, is this correct?

Also, if I create this adapter, I am confused about the exact wiring of the amp. In other cars I have hooked the amp up to the deck with one white and one black RCA cable, how do I wire both a white and black RCA to one speaker wire?
Old 02-16-2005, 08:02 PM

By the Way, thanks for any help - I am sure that I will need it.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:40 PM

I wouldn't suggest doing this. I've never heard of it. You can buy what you need at any electronics/ audio store, I can't remember what its called, but it cost about 20 bucks. Don't try to make one yourself, unless you really know what you are doing.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:57 PM

After rereading your post, I think you are a little more confused than I thought. First of all, you need to let us know if you have a Bose system or not, if you have a bose system, you already have amps hooked up to your speakers, and hooking up another amp to these speakers would really "be bad". If you don't have Bose, you will have to hook up the speaker wires from the head unit to a device that changes them to RCA jacks so you can hook up your amp. From there, you hook up your subs to your amp. You will have to give alot more info for us to help you. Unless I'm confused, you don't know much about installing amps and speakers, if this is the case, you should get someone to help you with it. You can really screw up if you don't know what you are doing.

If, I'm confused, and you do know what you are doing, I apologize, I just don't want anyone getting hurt or hurting their vehicle, amp, or speakers. Good luck
Old 02-16-2005, 09:01 PM

I have a 1995 Maxima GLE with the BOSE System. I read the FAQs and they seem to say that you CAN hook a subwoofer system to the existent BOSE System... is that not true?

I have no experience with installs, however a friend of mine will be helping with the install as soon as we figure out how to do it... can you help?
Old 02-16-2005, 09:46 PM

if i read your post correctly, you can't just hook up some subs directly onto your existing system. you'll need a seperate amplifier to power your subs.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:55 AM

Well, yes, I know that I can't hook up the subs without an additional amplifier - I am asking HOW to hook up another amplifier for my subs into my existing BOSE system. Since the stock deck doesn't have RCA outputs, I need to know where to tap into the system for my amplifier inputs.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:04 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

easiest way is to get an line level converter, then wire it up spicing into the + and - of the bose speakers, then run that with rca's to the amp and there you have you're signal, go to wal mart they have line level converters for cheap good luck
Old 02-17-2005, 10:20 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

You can connect the female RCA ends directly to the speaker wire behind the HU. Wire positive (center) to the positive lead of a speaker wire and negative(shielding) to negative,etc... Run your RCA set to the amp and your done.

Parag...you know this !
Old 02-17-2005, 10:54 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

ya, but seeing as this guy doesnt know as much as he should about even a line out converter, i dont expect him to be able to do it with ease like us lol
Old 02-17-2005, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by nismos14
ya, but seeing as this guy doesnt know as much as he should about even a line out converter, i dont expect him to be able to do it with ease like us lol

Definately got a point there Sir.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:04 PM

Well, one of my friends is letting me have his old in-line converter, but I have only one more question. Will I actually hook this converter up to the speaker? (I ask because the speaker itself is already amplified by its individual BOSE amp and earlier somebody said that that would be a bad thing) - Everything else is ready for the subs. Please answer this last question. Thanks.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:53 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

all the line converter needs is signal, you can tap that signal from the speaker wires going into the bose speaker
Old 02-18-2005, 09:14 PM

Thank you all very much. I'm sorry that it was hard teaching me, this is my first system that I've owned and installed.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:15 PM

Thats what we are here for.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:12 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

and some of us are here to laugh and point jk
Old 08-26-2006, 11:57 AM

what are the wire colors for the +/- for the rear speakers for a 04 max? i looked at the12volt but no luck
Old 08-27-2006, 02:08 PM

Notes: The BOSE speaker amp is under the rear deck. The speaker wiring at the amplifier is:
LF blue/white - blue/black
RF white/black - green/black
LR green/yellow - blue/yellow
RR blue - red

which one is + and - ?
Old 09-03-2006, 03:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Quick help -

I installed this afternoon into my 04 with the bose system.

Used a line level converter, and tapped into the harness that plugged into the bose amp. I couldn't find the wire pairs that were mentioned anywhere.

I found online a different wiring code, and tapped into the inputs to the bose amp.

Brown - Rear Left +
Black/Red - Rear Left -

Blue - Rear Right +
Black/White - Rear Right -

I'm not getting any signal into the amp.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-03-2006, 04:14 PM
Suspension Yoda

My suggestion: you didn't use the right colors. Should've just tapped behind the HU.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

There's no way to splice in the trunk?

I have an extra plug back there - is that for sat radio, or an optional Bose Sub? Can I splice into that?
Old 09-07-2006, 03:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have this set up in my car i just cut into the speaker wires and it worked just fine, and u can put ur remote turn on wire that goes to ur sub amp on the power wire that goes to the rear speaker amp that way everytime you turn the stereo off the speakers shut off turning off your amp
Old 09-07-2006, 06:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

OK, there is a zillion posts, but I cannot find anyone who has described EXACTLY how to wire an upgraded line converter/amp/sub from the factory system.

I have a 2003 Maxima SE with factory Bose audio.

I have an Line Converter, Amp, and Sub.

I have unplugged the Wire that goes to the Factory Subwoofer.

My line converter has 4 connections (L- L+ / R- R+)

Where EXACTLY do I attach the 4 wires that exit the Line Converter.

- Best Location to splice wires
- Wire Colors (Important!)
- Any other details
Old 09-08-2006, 04:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by CanadaMaxima03
OK, there is a zillion posts, but I cannot find anyone who has described EXACTLY how to wire an upgraded line converter/amp/sub from the factory system.

I have a 2003 Maxima SE with factory Bose audio.

I have an Line Converter, Amp, and Sub.

I have unplugged the Wire that goes to the Factory Subwoofer.

My line converter has 4 connections (L- L+ / R- R+)

Where EXACTLY do I attach the 4 wires that exit the Line Converter.

- Best Location to splice wires
- Wire Colors (Important!)
- Any other details
http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/audiowiring.asp
Use that chart.

You can even use some female rca's and splice them if you want to save some $$ but if you have the LOC already....you can use it.

Rear Driver Side (+) Brown
Rear Driver Side (-) Black with Red Stripe
Rear Passenger Side (+) Blue
Rear Passenger Side (-) Black with White Stripe

REmote wire for your amp..... Green with White Stripe

Side note: At first I used the ignition on wire (yellow) for the remote....the amp would stay on even when the car was off...
I personally installed it in an 03 maxima with navi
Old 09-08-2006, 12:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I gather from other posts that there is a small (puney!) amp UNDER the factory Bose subwoofer in that plastic housing.

Has anyone tried wiring an aftermarket amp directly to the factory sub input wires?

The wire harness that goes to from the factory amp is to the factory Bose Subwoofer...

Audio (+) - White
Audio (-) - Black
Amp/On Off - Green with White Strips
Power (12+) - NA (Aftermarket Amp to Fuse to Battery)
Ground - NA (Aftermarket Amp to Ground/Frame)

Does the Audio (+) (-) provide enough signal to feed the RCA input of a Aftermaket Amp?

(BTW Super extra thanks burnurass!)

CanadaMaxima03
Ottawa, Canada
Old 09-08-2006, 02:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by CanadaMaxima03
I gather from other posts that there is a small (puney!) amp UNDER the factory Bose subwoofer in that plastic housing.

Has anyone tried wiring an aftermarket amp directly to the factory sub input wires?

The wire harness that goes to from the factory amp is to the factory Bose Subwoofer...

Audio (+) - White
Audio (-) - Black
Amp/On Off - Green with White Strips
Power (12+) - NA (Aftermarket Amp to Fuse to Battery)
Ground - NA (Aftermarket Amp to Ground/Frame)

Does the Audio (+) (-) provide enough signal to feed the RCA input of a Aftermaket Amp?

(BTW Super extra thanks burnurass!)

CanadaMaxima03
Ottawa, Canada
like many have said before in other threads....probably easier to access it out behind the headunit for one reason:
WHEN you're done with the stock headunit and want to go aftermarket..the wires are already ran behind the stock radio! If you need help wiht that it's in the stickies or someone can try to explain it