Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Any experience with the new Kenwood DDX7015 yet? (All in one DVD/Nav/6.5" TV, 2x-din)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 09:46 PM
TL5

ok so I'm also becoming interested in one of these toys...

from the information i've gathered, it seems the kenwood doesnt come with navigation?

so thats 1500 for the screen, player etc... and another 1500 for the navi?

but the eclipse comes with everything for 1500ish?

also where did you 5th gen'rs install yours at?

one more thing... i wouldn't need an amp for these?
sorry, fairly new to car audio
Old 04-06-2005, 09:49 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by TL5
ok so I'm also becoming interested in one of these toys...

from the information i've gathered, it seems the kenwood doesnt come with navigation?

so thats 1500 for the screen, player etc... and another 1500 for the navi?

but the eclipse comes with everything for 1500ish?

also where did you 5th gen'rs install yours at?
No the Kenwood is about $900+ depending where you buy it from. FLEaBay is usually around there if thats the kind of shopper you are. The navi is about another grand +/-

The Eclipse is substantially more than $1500 but still less than the Kenwood. The Eclipse is also all in one, no 'brains' or seperate units. Superior quality,3 year warranty as opposed to one, and a year of theft replacement coverage.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:55 PM
TL5

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
No the Kenwood is about $900+ depending where you buy it from. FLEaBay is usually around there if thats the kind of shopper you are. The navi is about another grand +/-

The Eclipse is substantially more than $1500 but still less than the Kenwood. The Eclipse is also all in one, no 'brains' or seperate units. Superior quality,3 year warranty as opposed to one, and a year of theft replacement coverage.

yeah after checking out the eclipse website, im definately leaning towards it more and more

but is an amp required with this or not?
Old 04-06-2005, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by TL5
but is an amp required with this or not?
Not at all needed, It does have a built in amp like most HUs. Although the 3 sets 5Volt/55Ohm preouts compliment amps nicely.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:11 PM

As far as buying/finding them. Check with your local shops or you can take the drive to me in Jersey. I recommend strongly against online sales, as Eclipse prohibits them in Every way shape or form. Also if bought online you lose ALL of the warranty and recieve no theft protection.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:14 PM
Infiniti 35 Double G's

have one question about the DDX7015, and maybe someone can answer it because there are no answers to be found at Kenwood's site nor other sources:

i have the previous generation Kenwood double-din flip-down HU (no DVD, but CD & cassette ), and it works beautifully; the main reason i got it was because it controls 2 10-disc CD changers in the trunk (via a small separate control box in the trunk also). is there anything in the owner's manual for the newer Kenwood that indicates whether that sumbish can handle multiple CD changers? i refuse to give up that much music choice just to watch a movie now & then...

pix:

Old 04-06-2005, 10:14 PM
TL5

As far as buying/finding them. Check with your local shops or you can take the drive to me in Jersey. I recommend strongly against online sales, as Eclipse prohibits them in Every way shape or form. Also if bought online you lose ALL of the warranty and recieve no theft protection.
so you have a shop and sell tha eclipses?

hell, im willing to come down to edison and buy it from you... i'll eat some indian food (they call edison little india) while you install
just send me a pm with your price and labor charge... i have a 2k1 max se btw
Old 04-06-2005, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by SuperChris
have one question about the DDX7015, and maybe someone can answer it because there are no answers to be found at Kenwood's site nor other sources:

i have the previous generation Kenwood double-din flip-down HU (no DVD, but CD & cassette ), and it works beautifully; the main reason i got it was because it controls 2 10-disc CD changers in the trunk (via a small separate control box in the trunk also). is there anything in the owner's manual for the newer Kenwood that indicates whether that sumbish can handle multiple CD changers? i refuse to give up that much music choice just to watch a movie now & then...

pix:

From what I was told from my rep, yes it will still support them.

Thats why Eclipse has the AVN 5495...30Gig HD,Navi,DVD,etc... As well as the ability to have multiple changers daisy chained via the E-LAN. No "modules" needed.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:28 AM

Oh man I'm going to have to get that for my truck... that is tight. I was just looking around now and found that... then it hit me I could have sworn I saw this exact same model asked about on the forum. Sure enough here it is... all the reviews I need... now to just get the money.

The forum has come through for me again.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:50 AM

If your looking for "flashyness" then go for the Pioneer, if your more focused on overall SQ, then the Eclipse wins all hands down.
That's easily fixed with equalizers and signal processors...
Old 04-07-2005, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by kcidmil
That's easily fixed with equalizers and signal processors...

But why spend the money when its not needed? Every piece that you add to a system gives more potential for problems. Aside from that any processors/EQs actually worth getting are quite pricey.

To add a bit more to that, the Eclipse simply contains better quality components rather than generics...
Old 04-07-2005, 08:09 AM

I guess I'm just old school then... I love having something to control at every range. I was thinking of getting a single din, and putting the Clarion DVC920 in... but ever since I saw the Kenwood DDX7015... I've got to have it. Guess I'll have to get a hideaway unit then.

More potential problems... more money... MORE CONTROL. There's always cost for something... you don't get anything for free.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:20 AM
Licensed to Spell

:o(

If only the Eclipse was all-black.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:22 AM
Infiniti 35 Double G's

From what I was told from my rep, yes it will still support them.

Thats why Eclipse has the AVN 5495...30Gig HD,Navi,DVD,etc... As well as the ability to have multiple changers daisy chained via the E-LAN. No "modules" needed.
thx for the info....now, can somebody toss $2k my way?
Old 04-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Infiniti 35 Double G's

as far as the "hand-brake" protection circuit, everyone is saying it's easily defeatable....i'm assuming u wire that circuit to a power source different from the hand-brake wire?
Old 04-07-2005, 07:23 PM

I guess I'm just old school then... I love having something to control at every range. I was thinking of getting a single din, and putting the Clarion DVC920 in... but ever since I saw the Kenwood DDX7015... I've got to have it. Guess I'll have to get a hideaway unit then.

More potential problems... more money... MORE CONTROL. There's always cost for something... you don't get anything for free.

My only point was that the Eclipse has everything and more than that of the Kenwood. Aside from superior reputation alone.

You dont need to convince me of processing control, I run an Arc DXE personally with everything fully active in my car. I was speaking for the general consumer as far as more money,potential problems,etc...
Old 04-07-2005, 11:42 PM

Good point, I guess we're just not the average consumer are we?... I just love how the kenwood fills the whole d/din... plus it'll match the console designs of my frontier perfectly.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by SuperChris
as far as the "hand-brake" protection circuit, everyone is saying it's easily defeatable....i'm assuming u wire that circuit to a power source different from the hand-brake wire?
The DDX7015 is activated by connecting it to the ground side of the parking brake indicator light. So if you ground the wire it will activate the DVD screen.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:48 AM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Originally Posted by HarleyJoel
The DDX7015 is activated by connecting it to the ground side of the parking brake indicator light. So if you ground the wire it will activate the DVD screen.

Just like the Pio. N1.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:49 AM
Licensed to Spell

Good point, I guess we're just not the average consumer are we?... I just love how the kenwood fills the whole d/din... plus it'll match the console designs of my frontier perfectly.

The Eclipse won't fit the whole 2x din? The Kenwood matches better than the Eclipse?
Old 04-11-2005, 08:00 AM

No the eclipse will fit the whole din. I love how there seems to be more screen showing than the eclipse has. And it's the kenwood's body design that just seems to match the dash lines of my Truck.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:17 AM

I've been using mine for a little over a week now and it is now easier for me to change functions and inputs on my DDX-7015. It took a little to get used to but the sound quality is excellent. It would be nice to have some customizable wallpaper screens but it really is a nice unit. The picture above doesn't show the black "frame" finishing piece that comes with the unit to cover the small gap between the unit and the dashboard.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:20 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by HarleyJoel
I've been using mine for a little over a week now and it is now easier for me to change functions and inputs on my DDX-7015. It took a little to get used to but the sound quality is excellent. It would be nice to have some customizable wallpaper screens but it really is a nice unit. The picture above doesn't show the black "frame" finishing piece that comes with the unit to cover the small gap between the unit and the dashboard.

Very nice Joel.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:51 AM

I'm leaning towards the DDX7015 as well.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:53 PM

I actually just bought a DDX7015 and I'm trying to gather up the remaining things I need to install it. I have a 2003 SE. Can anybody suggest a good dash kit? (Pictures would be awesome.) I tried the finishing piece from a 2003 SE with the factory nav, but it doesn't fit right with the climate controls in the lower slot.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by cgrubert
I actually just bought a DDX7015 and I'm trying to gather up the remaining things I need to install it. I have a 2003 SE. Can anybody suggest a good dash kit? (Pictures would be awesome.) I tried the finishing piece from a 2003 SE with the factory nav, but it doesn't fit right with the climate controls in the lower slot.
If you want to have this look factory you need the dash kit from a GXE 2000 max. I got mines from DAVEB for like 88 plus shipping
Old 05-02-2005, 04:11 PM

Ok, I'll talk to DAVEB. Out of curiousity, did you get the NAV package as well? If so, where did you find was the best place to mount the NAV drive?
Old 05-02-2005, 08:08 PM

Nope I didn't get the navi but it can be had for like 500 on ebay. But I don't use this car to travel in so it would be useless to me.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:45 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by imxelite
Nope I didn't get the navi but it can be had for like 500 on ebay. But I don't use this car to travel in so it would be useless to me.

There is no such thing as a useless bell and wistle.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:31 PM

Ok, so what's the best way to get in touch with DAVEB? I sent him an email, but I didn't get an answer.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:45 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by cgrubert
Ok, so what's the best way to get in touch with DAVEB? I sent him an email, but I didn't get an answer.

I order from Dave Petro at Garrands Nissan all the time. 25% off list and he is a really cool guy. Tell him Josh Frohman sent you. Good luck.

http://www.garrands-nissan.com/New%20Website/parts.htm
Old 05-03-2005, 06:57 PM

Thanks, I'll give him a try.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:07 AM
Licensed to Spell

Well, after months of thinking about it, I have decided 100% on the 7015 replacement, the upcoming 8017. The shop said it should be out mid July.

Aside from some new bells and whistles like 5V output and built in DD (I think?), it is all-black baby.

It will run me about $2500 installed including the unit, the navigation, the needed Bose adaptor, CD changer (10 disk, I think?), and an auxillary A/V and AC power port (probably in glove box).
Old 07-06-2005, 06:27 AM

I was looking auctions for the AVN5435 on ebay and other online sites. So do you have to have an authorized retailer receipt to get the warranty? Or do you just have to send in the card?

I'm seriously debating buying this unit, so obviously I am going to shop around, but if I have to get it from a retailer, that might cost more.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by MaxDom03
I was looking auctions for the AVN5435 on ebay and other online sites. So do you have to have an authorized retailer receipt to get the warranty? Or do you just have to send in the card?

I'm seriously debating buying this unit, so obviously I am going to shop around, but if I have to get it from a retailer, that might cost more.
Bought from a dealer...One year warranty

Bought And installed from a dealer...3 year warranty and a year of theft coverage.

Bought online..No Warranty at all.
When the card is filled out, the retailers name as well as the installer must be listed on it.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:19 AM

That seems odd, but I suppose makes a certain amount of sense for Eclipse to protect themselves.

The cheapest I found it online, non-ebay, was 1800, about how much are they installed at a retailer? It's probably worth spending the extra $$ to make sure you get the warranty and such.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:41 AM
Licensed to Spell

That seems odd, but I suppose makes a certain amount of sense for Eclipse to protect themselves.

The cheapest I found it online, non-ebay, was 1800, about how much are they installed at a retailer? It's probably worth spending the extra $$ to make sure you get the warranty and such.

I got just one price of $2000 installed at Al & Ed's (a chain here in So. Cal. - used to be called Mobile Works). This was for the Eclipse. I'm sure if I shopped around more, I could have found a better price. But, like I said, I have since decided to get the new Kenwood 8017 due out this month.

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/PDF/Car_Excelon_2005.pdf
Old 07-06-2005, 11:24 AM

That Kenwood looks pretty decent, I really like the Navigation system of the Eclipse though. Now I just gotta decide which first, the Eclipse, or headers....
Old 07-06-2005, 11:45 AM
Licensed to Spell

That Kenwood looks pretty decent, I really like the Navigation system of the Eclipse though. Now I just gotta decide which first, the Eclipse, or headers....

Well, I don't know that one has better nav. than the other. My guess is it's whichever one you learn first you like. I'm sure both are fine.

My reasons for going Kenwood are: all-black (priceless), much better remote control (I love remotes ) (The Kenwood has many more features on their remote over the simple remote of the Eclipse, not to mention the Kenwood comes with a remote whereas the Eclipse is extra. I HATE touching my screen (fingerprints) so I try to use hard buttons as much as I can), and lastly since the nav. unit is seperate, you place it out of site with the Nav. disk in at all times. You don't need to pull the nav. disk in and out when you want to play a DVD. With the Kenwood, you can have the nav. disk and a DVD in at the same time.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by ptatohed
Well, I don't know that one has better nav. than the other. My guess is it's whichever one you learn first you like. I'm sure both are fine.

My reasons for going Kenwood are: all-black (priceless), much better remote control (I love remotes ) (The Kenwood has many more features on their remote over the simple remote of the Eclipse, not to mention the Kenwood comes with a remote whereas the Eclipse is extra. I HATE touching my screen (fingerprints) so I try to use hard buttons as much as I can), and lastly since the nav. unit is seperate, you place it out of site with the Nav. disk in at all times. You don't need to pull the nav. disk in and out when you want to play a DVD. With the Kenwood, you can have the nav. disk and a DVD in at the same time.

Hmm, where would you put the nav unit? Glove box? I didnt realize the Eclipse had to have a disk in it for Navigation.

I assume the Kenwood also stops playing the DVD while you drive. The prices seem to be just about the same for the two.

I really want something like this in my car, so I want to make sure I dont spend too much on something I wont like!

Quick Reply: Any experience with the new Kenwood DDX7015 yet? (All in one DVD/Nav/6.5" TV, 2x-din)