Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

I need an answer...Quick!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2001, 10:38 PM

I found some Memphis 6.5" component speakers brand new for $120+ shipping. I checked on the internet and I saw the set going for $225-$250. The only problem is he didn't give a model number so I'm not sure if the one I found is the right one. The model I found was MS6.75 if you want to look it up. Also, he doesn't give much info on it(power, freq, etc.).

What is the quality of Memphis? Better than MB Quart DSD components? I don't have more than $150 to spend on my front set of components, so if you have nay other suggestions, please let me know.
Old 05-07-2001, 07:18 AM

I'm not familiar with Memphis but i do know that the MB DSD line is their "introduction line" to components. I personally use the DSD 216 and they are plenty fine. I have been really happy with them.
Old 05-07-2001, 10:16 AM

Memphis speakers are quite good overall. They were sold under the name Aria before Memphis bough them. Their quality and sound is very similar to Oz Audio components.
As long as these are in decent shape you shouldn't go wrong.

These are component coaxial speakers with separate crossovers. The tweeter is a concentric design and this speaker is very well known as a good performer in the Autosound competition circuit. Perfect for kickpanels.

http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/image..._15-MS6.75.jpg
http://www.memcaraudio.com/P4&5_Studio_Components.htm
Old 05-07-2001, 09:50 PM

He is selling them brand new in the box. I'm not very familiar with audio past crutchfield type products. Would these perform close to MB Quarts or Infinity's? Do you have any idea how low they play in freq.?
Old 05-07-2001, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by Daddy Fat Sacks
He is selling them brand new in the box. I'm not very familiar with audio past crutchfield type products. Would these perform close to MB Quarts or Infinity's? Do you have any idea how low they play in freq.?
They should perform similarily to MB Quart as they use a hard dome tweeter as well. In relation to Infinity they should be somewhat brighter sounding.

The 2000 Car Stereo Review buyers guid indicate their frequency response as 70 Hz - 22 kHz, so they wouldn't be the best bass performer out there but seeing that they use a high crossover point at 5.5 kHz they should have a very nice flat midrange that is not colored by any crossover anomalies that could be picked up by your ears.

For the price they are a steal. Plus the tweeters can be removed and used as standard components.
Old 05-08-2001, 01:34 AM

would you go with these over focal 165h that cost $159?? why would the better one sound better?
Old 05-09-2001, 09:38 AM

That's a tough choice as Focal's are very nice speakers. The difference you will get with the Memphis is the option to have them as coaxials or components.
Old 05-09-2001, 10:21 PM

So, will the memphis speakers sound the same in both coaxial and component form? If i were to leave them as coaxial, how would it be different than focal components.
(I think I prefer coaxial to avoid paying for customization)
Thanks for all your help.
Old 05-10-2001, 11:36 AM

Well if the tweeter is placed near the midbass in component form it should sound very close to coaxial form. The sound will only change say if you mount the tweeters high on the door or the dashboard and the mids in the normal opening of the door. What happens when the tweeter is placed far apart from the midbass is that the time alignment between both devices get's changed. In coaxial form time alignment changes are thus nil.

Hard do say how these would directly compare with the Focal's you've mentioned as I've not heard them an an A/B comparison. Both will tend to be fairly bright or lively speakers as compared to a speaker with a silk dome tweeter...