Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Thoughts on these component sets

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2001 | 10:42 AM

Hey guys, I need your thoughts on these component sets. A friend of mine had recently redone his system and he has 2 sets of components for me to try in the Max. The first set is the JL Audio Evolutions. The XR series. The other set is the Kicker Resolutions. Both sets are the 6.5" components with a 1" tweeter. He is going to cut me a great deal on them and I am wondering if anyone has listened to them extensively. I have heard both of them in his car but it's been a while since I heard the Kickers. Let me know what you all think. I would greatly appreciate it. If you need to know how much power I plan to give the set, I have a Kicker ZR360, which is 90x2. So that's it. Thanks again.
Old 05-10-2001 | 01:41 PM

I am not a big fan of the kickers myself, and I have never heard the jl's before.....how much are you getting them for????? If you want a great sounding set of components, go w/the Alpine DDDrive's......(but there pricey) but most importantly get whatever you like best....
Old 05-10-2001 | 01:50 PM

Thanks pawn

I was beginning to think that no one would reply. Both sets are about 400 new and he's giving them to me for a 200. I'm kinda doing a theme thing in my car and these two sets go with the theme. I plan on getting JL subs, so JL speakers seemed like a good idea. Also my amps are Kicker, so I thought that Kicker speakers could work as well. Thanks for your ideas and thoughts!!
Old 05-10-2001 | 02:14 PM
OG and counting...

Yo Dusty

I took a test listen at the JL components before deciding on the a/d/s (now Focals). They are a pretty nice component set that you will not regret listening to. They are pretty smooth and have a remarkable clarity for the price.

Since you are doing the theme, why don't you go all the way with a JL amp? I am testing the 300.4 as soon as Music in Motion puts one on the board. So far, the reviews have been very positive. But I have to hear it for myself.
Old 05-10-2001 | 04:05 PM

Thanks for the comments Prinz. The only problem with running the JL amps is I have my amps already. I mean they are sitting in my basement. I went to Sound Experience today and I think I found my head unit. It's the Eclipse CD5441. I think is going to be exactly what I need. I can run the rears off the deck and the fronts off my ZR360. Then the subs off the DX700 and I am all set. My friend just raves about his JL's and I do like them, so I will probably go with those for now and keep my eyes open for the next ones. Thanks for you input guys, I do appreciate it!!
Old 05-10-2001 | 09:52 PM

Originally posted by Dustyroads
Thanks for the comments Prinz. The only problem with running the JL amps is I have my amps already. I mean they are sitting in my basement. I went to Sound Experience today and I think I found my head unit. It's the Eclipse CD5441. I think is going to be exactly what I need. I can run the rears off the deck and the fronts off my ZR360. Then the subs off the DX700 and I am all set. My friend just raves about his JL's and I do like them, so I will probably go with those for now and keep my eyes open for the next ones. Thanks for you input guys, I do appreciate it!!
I have the same speakers! I love the JL's component set. Just beware of saying that they're $400 new. I bought mine (from the most expensive place in town mind you) for $320 brand new. But anyway, $200 for a set of used and not abused JL evolution's is great. I think the clarity is great and I had MBQ's before the PSC line so no slouches in their own right. I would personally go with the JL's but listen to them both first and make your own decision. Remember none of us have to listen to them day after day, but YOU do!

Good luck
Old 05-11-2001 | 06:01 AM

Thanks otter. I appreciate the comment, yeah I know the prices can vary on the components. I can buy a brand new set for about 280 or so from another friend in the business. He's the assistant manager at a local stereo shop.
Actually I think that I have changed my mind about the head unit. I was planning on the CD5441 and now I'm leaning more towards the CD8051. The HU has no power out, only RCA's, and it also has an input for a possible mp3 player later on. It's $100 more than the 5441, but that is for the aux input, no power and beefed RCA outs, 8V vs. 5V. There are some more goodies, but I can't remember them all.
Anyway, thanks for all your help guys. It's all coming together and with a little luck in about a month it will all be sitting in my car!!
Old 05-11-2001 | 08:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hmm...

For $200 sets to consider
CD Technologies CL series
Focal-Polyglass series
Diamond Audio Technologies-M5 series
A/D/S-Coaxial ???

Those are probably your best bets.
Old 05-12-2001 | 04:39 AM

i have the vr series components

and they sound great....the clarity surprised me...
the xr series is top of hte line jl....so i figure u wont regret getting them