Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Need Stereo Help, My Infinity Sub Blew

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 04:07 PM
The Computer Guy

Need Stereo Help, My Infinity Sub Blew

Hi,

My Infinity sub recently stopped working so I took it to were i bought it (Circuit City) and they said it only under warrentry under Infinity so I have to ship it out to them. But I am thinkin of buyin new subs or sub. I have 10 box right now. Any one know some good stereo sites besides ebay and crutchfield?

Thanks
Old 04-27-2005, 05:11 PM

Aww Comeon man you know you got to put this stuff in the electronics Forum!!
Old 04-27-2005, 05:13 PM
No turbo, no care!

Old 04-27-2005, 05:15 PM
The Computer Guy

lol i did thanks
Old 04-27-2005, 11:30 PM

i dunno if i'd call crutchfield a "good" stereo site if you're a customer...high prices. but it is a good place you can go to and browse. when you find something you want, give nextag (or like) a hit and enter the model of whatever it is. chances are you'll find it for a lot cheaper from another site.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:56 PM
Seperated at Birth?

Originally Posted by nForce
Hi,

My Infinity sub recently stopped working so I took it to were i bought it (Circuit City) and they said it only under warrentry under Infinity so I have to ship it out to them. But I am thinkin of buyin new subs or sub. I have 10 box right now. Any one know some good stereo sites besides ebay and crutchfield?

Thanks
you didn't get the City Advantage plan? had you done that, you could have replaced it right there.

/me works at CC
Old 04-28-2005, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Hectic
i dunno if i'd call crutchfield a "good" stereo site if you're a customer...high prices. but it is a good place you can go to and browse. when you find something you want, give nextag (or like) a hit and enter the model of whatever it is. chances are you'll find it for a lot cheaper from another site.
The only reason their so expensive is because they're a authorized dealer for everything they sale. They hold a corner of the market that other online companies can't compare against. So they can set their prices.

Already left a post in the audio forum for you nforce.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:12 AM
Seperated at Birth?

Originally Posted by kcidmil
The only reason their so expensive is because they're a authorized dealer for everything they sale. They hold a corner of the market that other online companies can't compare against. So they can set their prices.

Already left a post in the audio forum for you nforce.
incorrect.

infinity prices are set by the manufacturer. any sales/price adjustements MUST be authorized by Infinity themselves.

you are correct about the dealer part though. a good lot of the companies out there are authorized resellers, but not dealers (aka, they can sell used equipment, but not new)
Old 04-28-2005, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by antonthegrey
incorrect.

infinity prices are set by the manufacturer. any sales/price adjustements MUST be authorized by Infinity themselves.

you are correct about the dealer part though. a good lot of the companies out there are authorized resellers, but not dealers (aka, they can sell used equipment, but not new)
Take a little stroll down into the audio forum sometime. You'll see a list of a manufacturers that DO NOT honor online sales... PERIOD.

This is where crutchfield makes it's money. There are a few online resellers... and even fewer online dealers that have a lot of equipment like they do. Sound domain has quite a few items... but pales compared to crutchfield's listing.

Go to ebay and buy something... then try using the "warranty" on it...

Oh... and I can get infiniti products a lot cheaper than MSRP through an authorized dealer They can set prices all they want... and claim that any price adjustments must be authorized through them. It's up to the dealer how much he is willing to part with... cash goes a long way.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:20 AM

If your willing to buy onling I would strongly look into Ikesound.com or thezeb.com. Both of these places offer a year warranty. However, im not sure if the warranty is from them or the manufacture. If you give us your budget and what kinda amp you have maybe we can make some better suggestions on what you may like. Since you had a Infinity sub before, Im gonna say your more after SQ than SPL and I would maybe look into a single 10" Type R,(05) model. I've personally heard them and they are very good subs and very clean also, at least for the price.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:13 AM

Alpine????? Alpine only has their H/Us' going for them. All their other products for car audio are in the medium range. Still not low end stuff, but you can definitley find better

You want something that is versatile... Check out Memphis Car Audio. Their M-Class subs and amps are nicely priced.. get a M-Class 12" with their 500 D amp... and that's all you'll need. You can even throw that sub into a vented box and get great SQ

Or Adire audio. A lot of people use them on here.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:27 AM

Its not the best but not the worst. I figured if he purchased the Infinity, he would want something in that price range again unless he's looking to upgrade. But if you got the money go with the Memphis or you maybe even a Shiva.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:59 AM

An M-Class 12" is around $130... and besides... you can still get a lot of life out of a low end. Look at my RF punch z's... I have had them for 3 years now, and they still hit just as good as the day I got them.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:03 PM
The Computer Guy

This is wat I have been lookin at. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-xl6X4cG...ew&i=028V103BP

It about 109 on ebay with free shipping. Who should I buy from.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What kink of sound are you after from your subs? Bandpas seutps tend to be very boomy.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:13 AM

Alpine????? Alpine only has their H/Us' going for them. All their other products for car audio are in the medium range. Still not low end stuff, but you can definitley find better

I myself would not consider one of their HU's anymore. You can get better for about the same amount of money, as far as SQ. I believe that the best SQ setups (head units) from Alpine passed a few years back. If you want verstility and ease of use then they are nice.

As for their subs. Their Type-X subs actually receive high marks on a magazine review and were called very musical subs, but I personally do not know about ther Type-R stuff.

I am very happy with the purchase of my Alpine MRD-M501 amplifier (this also received good marks on a magazine review). I bought the M501 from Cruthchfield for $299 shipped, one of the reasons I am happy with it . I plan on using this on my wifes car when I purchase a sub. I had it in my car for a while.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by 1996blackmax
What kink of sound are you after from your subs? Bandpas seutps tend to be very boomy.

That's because all a bandpass is designed for is boom. There is not SQ out of them. And 99% are designed for a certain freq range, found mostly in Rap.

Vented is usually the best middle range. Gives you boom and pressure, and allows for decent SQ.

Also, what was the Alpine compared against in the magazines? It's easy to get high marks when compared against Sony and Pioneer.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:24 AM

Most bandpass enclosures are very boomy [I don't think I've ever heard a good pre-fab one], but if built right, bandpass boxes can sound very good, too. Each person has their own preferences as to what kind of boxes they like, I prefer sealed enclosures myself.

dh
Old 05-01-2005, 02:07 PM

That's because all a bandpass is designed for is boom. There is not SQ out of them. And 99% are designed for a certain freq range, found mostly in Rap.

Yes, that is known, but I brought it up because I did not know if he knew or not.

Also, what was the Alpine compared against in the magazines? It's easy to get high marks when compared against Sony and Pioneer.
Actually it was a review of the product itself, it took up 4 pages of the magazine. The review was headed by Vance ****ason (author of The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook, I believe it is now on its 6th edition) and Eric Holdaway of Car Audio and Electronics. FYI both of these guys are respected in their field. The sub reviewed was the Alpine SWX-1242D (their Type-X 12" subwoofer).