Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Would those grounding kits (Blemco, etc...) benefit for those of us alternator whine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 09:31 AM

Would those grounding kits (Blemco, etc...) benefit for those of us alternator whine?

Well, I'm not at all sure if this has been discussed before, but would those grounding kits, for example the Blemco kits, made particularly to keep the car idle smoothly, somehow aid in prevention of alternator whine? I was wondering this, because if it does, then I would purchase the kit, install and quite possibly eliminate two problems with one stone.

So what's the verdict with going with the grounding kit to eliminate alternator whine?
Old 05-12-2005, 10:11 AM
Suspension Yoda

alternator whine is because of a bad ground. make sure the paint is sanded off the grounding point, the ground point is less than 3 feet from the amp, and is the same gauge as your power wire.

grounding kits help, but isolate the problem, then get the grounding kit...the alternator whine is quite possibly a FREE fix
Old 05-13-2005, 08:32 PM

A lot of people jump straight to the ground as the culprit for alternator whine, and perhaps experience has taught them this lesson, but I try to isolate where the noise is coming from first, then deal with the situation. I recently found this pdf on the subject by memphis car audio, and think it does a pretty good job of explaining things:

memphis noise troubleshooting link

Hope this helps.

dh
Old 05-13-2005, 10:20 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by snair2
Well, I'm not at all sure if this has been discussed before, but would those grounding kits, for example the Blemco kits, made particularly to keep the car idle smoothly, somehow aid in prevention of alternator whine? I was wondering this, because if it does, then I would purchase the kit, install and quite possibly eliminate two problems with one stone.

So what's the verdict with going with the grounding kit to eliminate alternator whine?
I had terrible alternator whine after I got an aftermarket head unit installed with a converter for the Bose speakers. It was very annoying, sounded like I had a supercharger or a bad bearing.

When I had the car apart this winter I removed the engine ground cable and cleaned it up, I did this to the alternator ground cable as well. Remove the grounds and sand down the ring terminals, then install new bolts and washers. You can also add some electrical protective grease so the newly cleaned connections won't corrode as fast.