Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

ghetto system, going to blow quick?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 10:53 AM

ghetto system, going to blow quick?

hey all, i have this small amp that's 300w bridgable running off my rear deck speakers into a hi/lo input. i have a crunch 12 in a box bridged in.
it sounds great for what i want and its actualy surprising to me that this stuff hits pretty good, not amazing though. i dont know the wattage of the subs. theyre heavy around 20lbs, old models, i think maybe 400w each.

so with the amp running one 12, i have an identical 12 that i thought i would just try to hook up. i guess if im looking for more thump, i should have just bought it but oh well..

i just wired this 2nd 12 up to the 1st subs box at the posts and it gave me a bit more hit, with more low end 'wooomp" too.
my question is;
is this the worst method youve ever heard of?
is this going to blow my amp quick? not that i realy care, it was cheap!
if i wire the 2nd 12 right up to the amp terminals, will it draw too much power and thus blow my amp?

i hope somebody else has ghetto system experience
thanks

btw the 2 subs came out of a massive box, i dont even think it will fit in my trunk and if it does i would sag like a bi*ch. its got to weigh like 100lbs. it probably sounds DOPE tho. i might try anyways ^^
Old 05-31-2005, 11:33 AM

No, the wiring is fine. In fact that's how my subs used to be wired in my box. Nothing is wrong with that as long as you have your wires at the amp in bridge mode.

Double check the specs for the subs. You could be over pushing your amp. Maybe not How far is the gain up on the amp?
Old 05-31-2005, 12:19 PM

the gain is all the way up, it has been for a while and no problems so far, with just 1 12. yeah its bridged it goes ; AMP bridged-->12-->12.
im sure the speakers can handle more wattage than the amp can put out, theyre atleast 300. but proably more. but i dont know anything about running too much off of an amp that isnt enough.
a buddy told me whatever amp you have, to get subs that are a higher wattage than the amp.
thanks for the info man
Old 05-31-2005, 12:50 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

is this the worst method youve ever heard of?
Nope, but it isnt the best

is this going to blow my amp quick? not that i realy care, it was cheap!
In no way form or fashion unless your amp isnt stable to the presented ohm load

if i wire the 2nd 12 right up to the amp terminals, will it draw too much power and thus blow my amp? No more than at the terminal cup although you more than likely had to cram the wires in.

To properly do this i would (but this is just me )

wire the speakers in a parrallel to the amplifier for a two ohm load. wire them as a single speaker and always run one wire to each side this distributes the power evenly to both speakers not one and the other gets bleedover.

AMP
+ to left speaker +
AMP
- to right speaker -

L Speaker - to right speaker -
R SPeaker + to l speaker +
This gives you a two ohm load if the items are svc 4 ohm subs.

As well you want an amplifier with a higher rating than the subs. The THD (Total harmonic distortion) is what kills speakers. Its better to have the ability to vreate a clean signal and not amplify the trash that the higher gain settings will give you.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:08 PM

excelent man! thanks...looks interesting when i draw it on this paper im going to go and try it out