Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Opinions on Infinity Speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 12:38 PM

Opinions on Infinity Speakers?

I'm just wondering what you guys' opinion is on Infinity speakers. I work for Best Buy so I can get a good deal with my discount and I heard they were pretty good. I'm thinking of getting those, then maybe a Pioneer HU. Right now I just have my stock (non BOSE) CD/Cassette player. I don't plan on getting subs cause I need the extra trunk space.

Opinions? I don't know much about car audio...
Old 05-31-2005, 12:51 PM

infinitys speakers and amps are very good, but most of the ones that best buy carries arnt the best choices of speakers.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Avoid using Infinity speakers in areas of direct sunlight- their cones crackle like egg shells...

Shop around- there are many comparably priced, better performing speakers out there. Infinity's forte is in HT, their caraudio stuff has never impressed me much.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:19 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

The Kappa Perfect comps have VERY harsh tweets, don't expect a warm mellow sound as you would with a better balanced speaker.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:33 PM
99 SE-L

I have Infinity refrence components and infinity coax and only the comps are amped they sound ok im not impressed for 115$ for the comps... go with CDT or Polk

Old 05-31-2005, 01:45 PM

If you are limiting yourself to Best Buy products, and your buddy works there- make use of that soundboard and the 'inside' help and audition all their speakers OFF amplifiers that put out the range of power you plan on running to them.

Do they happen to sell Boston? I'll also look into Polk over infinity models- both the EF and DB series
Old 05-31-2005, 01:55 PM
MaximaFreak

Generally speaking ... hard dome tweeters (titanium and the like) will produce more harsh highs. Soft dome tweets (i.e. silk dome) will produce a more smooth high end.

Infinity Reference speakers are a great value. I think they sound perfectly fine for 90% of the population. The other 10% consists of snobs who don't know what they're hearing and those who are actual audiophiles with a sharp ear. I consider myself part of the latter, and I still think I would be pretty happy with them! Are they the best? No! Will they sound good for the $100 you spend, YES!

Remember ... almost anything is better than stock (even if you have Bose).

I say this in thread after thread after thread ... GO LISTEN! Go to 15 different places with CD's in hand and see if you can audition their stuff using YOUR music. Even if you don't buy it there, you will have an idea what it sounds like.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:19 PM

Thanks for the info! I'm only looking at what my store sells. The only reason I'd invest in a new sound system is because I can get such a good deal. I don't want to spend a ton of money. I'm not really that picky, I'd just like something better than stock. We don't sell Polk and I haven't seen Boston. Mostly Panasonic, Pioneer, Infinity, Sony, JVC...not a huge selection. The soft dome tweets are probably what I want to get.

I was thinking of something like this

The store I work at is actually called Future Shop, just a Canadian owned Best Buy franchise.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Northern Maxima
Thanks for the info! I'm only looking at what my store sells. The only reason I'd invest in a new sound system is because I can get such a good deal. I don't want to spend a ton of money. I'm not really that picky, I'd just like something better than stock. We don't sell Polk and I haven't seen Boston. Mostly Panasonic, Pioneer, Infinity, Sony, JVC...not a huge selection. The soft dome tweets are probably what I want to get.

I was thinking of something like this

The store I work at is actually called Future Shop, just a Canadian owned Best Buy franchise.
The Reference cones are particularly brittle, as I stated above- being you drive a 4th gen I'd imagine you want to replace the rear deck speaks. I had a pair of 5x7 References in my rear deck of my Mazda MX-6, tinted, mind you and they didnt survive one summer- the surrounds were heat bashed and porous and the cones in pieces. Just a heads up.

Pioneer REV series are actually pretty nice for the money.
I much rather look into MBQuart out of what they sell and attenuate the shyt out of them .
Old 05-31-2005, 02:38 PM

Should the MBQuarts last better than the Infinity's? I see they have some UV resistant material...not that it gets really hot here but I don't really want to risk getting speakers that are going to break. I'll have to check if the warranty would cover that. The MBQuarts a lot more than I wanted to spend...I'll have to see what I could get em for.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:10 PM

MBQuarts will definatly sound better than the Infinity's. Infinity needs to stick to home audio, which r awesome speakers.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:30 PM

i just put in infinity kappas in my 4th gen powered by a weak pioneer deck (p6400). i really want my speakers preamped and i was not happy without subs. if you have bose you will lose a lot of the bass it gives. if you're not into spending money and not really into audio, then stick with the bose if you have it. if you dont have bose i say just change out the deck. the nonbose system is shiit. adn since when does best buy sell infinity? mine has never carried infinity. i bought mine online at sound domain
Old 06-01-2005, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max
The Reference cones are particularly brittle, as I stated above- being you drive a 4th gen I'd imagine you want to replace the rear deck speaks. I had a pair of 5x7 References in my rear deck of my Mazda MX-6, tinted, mind you and they didnt survive one summer- the surrounds were heat bashed and porous and the cones in pieces. Just a heads up.

Pioneer REV series are actually pretty nice for the money.
I much rather look into MBQuart out of what they sell and attenuate the shyt out of them .
I've had my Reference 6x9's for over 3 years and all 3 of those years have been in direct sunlight and they look, sound and feel like the day I bought them. I've installed them on numerous friends cars and have never heard of this problem.

IMHO they are some of the best speakers for the price and almost make it hard to step up to the high end stuff.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:32 AM
MaximaFreak

Mr. Gone, I'm with you.

I STILL have my Infinty Reference RS602II's (look that model number up to see how old they are) from circa 1995. They were installed in the read deck of my first car - 1990 Honda Accord - and still pull duty today on my outside lanai in little boxes I built for them. They still sound great too.

Unless quality has gone to complete as.s in the last few years, I'll stand behind Infinity Reference series all day.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by RicoSuave98
adn since when does best buy sell infinity? mine has never carried infinity. i bought mine online at sound domain
I actually work at Future Shop, which is a Canadian franchise owned by Best Buy. We're pretty much exactly the same, so maybe the Canadian stores just carry some products from different manufacturers?

My manager put Infinity's in his 4th gen and he seems to like them so I'm thinking I'll probably just go with them. I don't have the BOSE system in my car. My old Maxima had it and I was pretty satisfied, but the system I have now isn't very good at all. I just want clearer sound and a little more bass.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Big_Ham
Mr. Gone, I'm with you.

I STILL have my Infinty Reference RS602II's (look that model number up to see how old they are) from circa 1995. They were installed in the read deck of my first car - 1990 Honda Accord - and still pull duty today on my outside lanai in little boxes I built for them. They still sound great too.

Unless quality has gone to complete as.s in the last few years, I'll stand behind Infinity Reference series all day.
Those are the ones with the black paper cones? right?

The ones I had probs with were the white, plasticky cones-the first batch of their 90rms/180max series references
Old 06-01-2005, 09:57 AM
MaximaFreak

Ahhhh ... no, these are not paper cones ... they may date my entrance into car stereo (1993). They had an IMG cone, black with foam surround. Never used the white coned ones ...
Old 06-01-2005, 11:13 AM

Infinity

****DANGER******Danger****
Old 06-01-2005, 11:18 AM
MaximaFreak

Another immature, unqualified response.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:40 PM
tastey wheat

i have infinity kappas amped, they sound great amped i think.. decent enough for what you'd pay for them.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:08 PM

Perfect 6.1 up front, 6.25I in rear doors backed way off. Only brittle if you underpower them; went from Alpine 5-channel to Rockford T5002. World of difference in smoothness.

My advice is to not run them off the head unit. Don't make the typical mistake of purchasing speakers "cause they look cool", or "they hold the most watts" (my favorite).
Old 06-01-2005, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by machinehead
Infinity

****DANGER******Danger****
once again...your talking privelages have been revoked until i hear opinions on the ava 15!
Old 06-01-2005, 10:50 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by slickrick
once again...your talking privelages have been revoked until i hear opinions on the ava 15!

Hmmm privileges revoked? You can do that?
Old 06-01-2005, 10:52 PM

nope but i know how it feels to have them revoked.
edit: Don you beat my edit about my spelling.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:53 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by slickrick
nope but i know how it feels to have them revoked.

Buahahahahahahaha Its all good I gave em right back.

Although Ill have to teach ya how to spell privileges.....
Old 06-01-2005, 10:54 PM

see above.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:08 AM

My response is qualified. I've heard every infinity comp set made in the past 8 years. For the $$$, you can do better. Don't shop at best buy or crotchfield.

oh, and my av isn't even assembled yet
Old 06-02-2005, 12:59 PM
MaximaFreak

I misspoke ... what I meant to say was "unjustified". You say you've listened to every component set that infinity has made in the last 8 years but you quantify it with nothing. By the way ... that puts you square at 14 years old when you started listening to all these speakers ... what car did you listen to them in? Your big wheel?

For the $$$ you can do better ... I agree with this. If you want to buy used or buy with no warranty. However, no speaker will sound substantially better brand new with warranty for that low of a price.

Ever heard Infinity Beta sets? I assure you that you have not, or you never would have made your generalized comment about Infinity.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Northern Maxima
I actually work at Future Shop, which is a Canadian franchise owned by Best Buy. We're pretty much exactly the same, so maybe the Canadian stores just carry some products from different manufacturers?

My manager put Infinity's in his 4th gen and he seems to like them so I'm thinking I'll probably just go with them. I don't have the BOSE system in my car. My old Maxima had it and I was pretty satisfied, but the system I have now isn't very good at all. I just want clearer sound and a little more bass.
You should be able to get Infinity Products at almost half price through the benefits program. With those prices it is almost impossible not to go with them.

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max
Those are the ones with the black paper cones? right?

The ones I had probs with were the white, plasticky cones-the first batch of their 90rms/180max series references
I've only used the white coned Reference series and again, have not had any problems. I recommend them to anyone who is looking to upgrade but not looking to spend thousands.

Red92MaxSE has the older style black cones and those sound great aswell, they are just his rear fill but still.

Big_Ham I completely agree
Old 06-02-2005, 11:18 PM

Don't shop at best buy or crotchfield.
crotchfield?? there's nothing wrong with crutchfield. they have one of the best damn customer service i've seen from an online site. they even made sure my amp was working well after a weeks time from the date of my purchase.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
crotchfield?? there's nothing wrong with crutchfield. they have one of the best damn customer service i've seen from an online site. they even made sure my amp was working well after a weeks time from the date of my purchase.
I agree, they might not sell the most high end stuff, but their customer service is outstanding.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:28 AM
Bandwagon Lover

The Ref line is not _that_ bad. Don't expect good mid-bass response and don't ever try to push them hard or you will toast them.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:04 PM

By the way ... that puts you square at 14 years old when you started listening to all these speakers ... what car did you listen to them in? Your big wheel?
Older siblings and their friends got me into car audio before i could drive. way before i could drive. I made my first fiberglass spare tire enclosure for an f-body at the age of 15 .

For the $$$ you can do better ... I agree with this. If you want to buy used or buy with no warranty. However, no speaker will sound substantially better brand new with warranty for that low of a price.
Kappa perfects retail for 399, or if you are smart 259 w/warranty online. At the higher price point, its not too good of a deal. At the lower price, its almost doable.

My personal Sub-$200 comp set brand new with warranty is the peerless definition set from www.madisound.com. $179 for amazing sq, and much more midbass output than the infinity set.

Ever heard Infinity Beta sets? I assure you that you have not, or you never would have made your generalized comment about Infinity.
which beta set in particular

Older siblings and their friends
Old 06-04-2005, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
what i meant by that comment was a lot of uneducated people think that the only brands that exist are those in BB and CF, and anything else was probably purchased at a flea market
Old 06-05-2005, 02:43 AM

Kappa perfects retail for 399, or if you are smart 259 w/warranty online. At the higher price point, its not too good of a deal. At the lower price, its almost doable.
ok, but what if you could get Kappa Perfect 6.1's for $160, brand new full warrenty, shipped directly from Infinity themselves?
Old 06-05-2005, 03:04 AM
LeX
Nissan by Nature

Remember ... almost anything is better than stock (ESPECIALLY if you have Bose).
(edited for content)
Old 06-05-2005, 09:18 AM
MaximaFreak

My personal Sub-$200 comp set brand new with warranty is the peerless definition set from www.madisound.com. $179 for amazing sq, and much more midbass output than the infinity set.

which beta set in particular

Older siblings and their friends
Peerless makes VERY good speakers and is a great sub-$200 set ... along with the DEI (Directed) Neo component sets.

When you ask which Beta set ... I don't know what you mean. All drivers were basically the same other than size, and it was the tweeters that really shined. You could cross them over all the way down to 2000Hz or so ... made for a higher soundstage when your tweeters were mounted on doors or pillars.

Now, if you want to talk about Infinity IRS Beta line for the home ... uhhh .... I have to go clean up now ...
Old 06-05-2005, 10:20 AM

what would u guys suggest for a great set of componets?
Old 06-05-2005, 11:20 AM

anything Don sells...
Old 06-05-2005, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by MrGone
ok, but what if you could get Kappa Perfect 6.1's for $160, brand new full warrenty, shipped directly from Infinity themselves?
I'd rather get the peerless set....

Quick Reply: Opinions on Infinity Speakers?