Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

?'s - Audiobahn? Alarm? and Boxes

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 01:19 PM

?'s - Audiobahn? Alarm? and Boxes

I've been looking around these threads and numerous other websites to try and learn as much about car audio as possible.

After a lot of research I installed these components a few months ago:

DECK - http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ylqIpmK...&search=ar5000

FRONT COMPONENTS - http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ylqIpmK...00&search=6750

REAR Coaxials -
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ylqIpmK...675&search=675

I am now very much interested in getting the last key features of my system, the subwoofer(s) and amp, the amp for the interior speakers, and a car alarm.

A guy from the iasca forums recommended I go with some audiobahn gear for the trunk. I'm not sure if this is the best gear to put in the trunk but it does seem like very well priced gear if nothing else. Have any of you personally had an experience with the Audiobahn subwoofers/amps.

I am pretty much limited to a 550 dollar budget for the sub(s)/amp combination - so if any of you have better suggestions in that price range I am more than happy to listen to what a fellow maxima-driver has to say. After all, I already know you all have good taste. (by the way, I'm looking into purchasing 1 or 2 10" subs - i listen to just about everything but techno and country and am MUCH more concerned about the quality of the sound over the dB rating).

I was also wondering what measures you have all taken to make your equipment harder to steal, including the eventual addition of an alarm system to my car. Also, do you think window tinting deters or attracts thiefs? I am very concerned because there have been numerous stereo thefts at the restaurant that I work for. (this is part of the reason that I am unwilling to spend a ridiculous sum on my system).

Also, I will be building my own subwoofer box. Carpentry, with an emphasis on cabinet construction runs in the family so I know a fair share about this sort of thing. I plan to build a very complex sealed box that blends right into the back of the trunk on all four sides with a hidden amp cabinet. (I hope to go with a glossy black (piano-esque) finish on the MDF wood itself and integrate accessibility to the spare tire into the new trunk floor I will be building.

Thanks in advance,the ORG seems to be a really good community from what I've seen so far.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:35 PM

Also, what have you all found to be the easiest way to get speaker wire from the trunk to the front doors? (or have most of you just used the stock bose wiring? is the stock wiring good enough?)
Old 06-16-2005, 06:41 PM

this is quite a thread so im just going to list off my opinions in order of what you posted
1) Not the deck I wouldve chosen, but for JVC its nice.
2) Ive installed a lot of those speakers at Circuit City, not bad.
3) You should definitely amp the mids and highs when you add the sub. Even with a 100 watt amp, there will be a world of difference.
4) Im not an audiobahn fan, and neither are most of the people on this board. Audiobahn is one of those subs that really only get moving with gobs of power and a big box, and they have very little sound quality at that.
5) As far as recommendations, there are far too many to list. Some people here like smaller known brands like Adire Audio, Ascendant Audio (what im getting), Resonant Engineering, the list goes on. The moderator here, Don (Pearl96Max) has a shop in NJ and carries very nice higher end brands. Shoot him a pm for some good advice.
6) A good alarm should be enough to prevent theft. The Viper 791XV is popular around these parts, its the top of the line model, with remote start and 2-way pager. If you are extra worried I would get a backup battery so that if someone gets into your car and cuts power, the alarm will still go off. You can also add extra sensors, like proximity sensor, tilt sensor, etc.
7) Please post pics, we all like to see works in progress and get new ideas.
8) Yes the org is a good community, 99% of the people Ive met through the org have turned out really cool.
9) If you get a small 4 channel amp for your mids and highs, you can use factory speaker wire and be fine. In this case just run all the speaker wire from the amp to the radio, and tap into it there, so from there it runs through factory speaker wire to each speaker. If you want new speaker wire anyway, it shouldnt be impossible, since the 4th gen is just that rubber grommet to run through. Newer maximas have a harness in that rubber boot, so a hole needs to be drilled. It sucks, trust me. But a coathanger or other rod, and some patience and youll do fine.

-kevin
Old 06-16-2005, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by kpr10is
5) As far as recommendations, there are far too many to list. Some people here like smaller known brands like Adire Audio, Ascendant Audio (what im getting), Resonant Engineering, the list goes on.
Yeah there is a lot of diversity here for audio equipment. But I don't think audiobahn has been a big player.

Btw *cough* Memphis Car Audio
Old 06-16-2005, 08:21 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I will definitely hit up Don for some speaker advice and possibly purchase.

I probably won't be able to purchase the amp for the mids and highs at the same time as the woofers, but I will be sure to get it the next paycheck (that was already the plan... everybody has been telling me that it'll make a world of difference, it's exciting).

I know that the JVC decks don't have a great reputation, but really it's a good deck. It definitely has eye-candy, and as far as features go it has everything I could need (7 band EQ, 5V Preamp Outputs). I was only willing to buy JVC after a recommendation from someone I trust very much, and I can't say that I'm not pleased with the quality of the deck.

I will post pics. What kind of coding do I use for my pics... [IMG] URL [/IMG] ?
Old 06-16-2005, 08:26 PM

I have a JVC in my Max. And it hasn't done me wrong. I really don't plan on changing it if I have to.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:25 PM

PEARL96MAX (aka Don) - I need your help/product. Could you please hit me up on AIM (acageddemon) or email (cageddemon@gmail.com).
Old 06-17-2005, 01:35 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by ionpcs
PEARL96MAX (aka Don) - I need your help/product. Could you please hit me up on AIM (acageddemon) or email (cageddemon@gmail.com).

I got your PM, but unfortunately havent had a chance to reply yet. Ive been super swamped over here the past couple days and have built up quite a bit in my PM/email boxes.

Ill try my best to get to it tonight/tomorrow morning.

--Don
Old 06-17-2005, 11:50 PM

Alright, thank you very much Don. Anytime will do.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:43 AM

Don, what happened? are you still willing to provide assistance.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:31 AM

give him a little more time, he's pretty swamped. but he will get to you
Old 06-20-2005, 02:30 PM

ok, didn't mean to be impolite or anything. i'm just trying to decide on the sub so that i can start the box building tomorrow. I have almost completed my new trunk floor.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:37 AM

I'm a little late to this thread but hopefully you are still looking for a sub. Acoustic Elegance (aka AE Speakers) finally has their new AV12 MKII in stock. They are being sold at $150 instead of $175 because the color of the top plate doesn't match the back plate. Only a problem if you are mounting the sub inverted. I have a pair of 12" MKII's from their last build run. One of my favorite subs ever.

-Robert