Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

HOW TO: Add aux to stock bose...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 05:30 AM
silviaguy

Man, I guess I just want it all. Other then FM tranmitter or Tape Adapter. I have yet to see something that will let me keep my CD Changer. The AUX that I have only works when I put a Audio CD in the Navi. Am I missing something? Or with this mod work for me?

Sorry that is a bit confusing.

I have a '02 Max. with a Factory Navi. with a 6 Disc cd changer in the trunk. Like to keep the cd changer but add a Aux port for a MP3 player. I dont have a Sat. button is there a way to get this to work?

Old 08-26-2006, 10:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Total Success!

Dan, you are my hero!

I printed out your instructions (ok, so I printed the entire thread just to be safe), followed them to the letter, and I am now the happy owner of a 1996 SE Maxima with the stock Bose stereo (including a recently deceased CD player), and...drum roll...an AUX input jack! True, I've already blasted myself when switching from my iPod back to AM radio (NPR...the only radio I bother with anymore), but I'll learn. ;-)

The entire operation took around four hours (including dash deconstruction, soldering, reinstallation, and testing). The soldering was not overly difficult (I've had some experience), but I desperately needed a magnification lens.

I didn't use RCA plugs, opting instead to go directly to a female 1/8" plug. After connecting a one end of an 1/8" stereo male to male cable to this plug and the other to my precious...err, iPod...I had music in my car once more.

I can hear a little bit of white noise at very low volumes. I wouldn't be surprised if the noise I'm hearing has something to do with my connections either to the HU circuit board or to the female 1/8" plug. The noise is absolutely nothing like I got with my cursed tape adapter (which my particular tape deck spat out at random intervals anyway), and it can't be heard unless the car is stopped (road noise covers it up).

Seriously, you saved me a pile of money I didn't have. Many, many thanks!

Andrew
Old 08-29-2006, 12:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

HOW TO: Add aux to stock bose...

Although my maxima does not have a BOSE audio, I wanted to try this mod to use my iPod in my max. Mine is "Clarion" and as soon as I opened the bottom cover of the unit, I realized i'm lost. Fortunately in the clarion unit all the CD changer connections are marked on the PCB itself. So following the original post, i looked up the RH+, RC- , LC+, LC- .. AX ON & RX points , fixed the wires & it Worked... Thanks again to the original poster!!
Old 09-06-2006, 10:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok,

I have been searching for this since I bought my new ride!

I was deadset on a 99' but ended up getting a superb deal on a beautiful 96' ... then realized the issues with the bose headunit....

anyways it seems that the pictures have expired and I would be very greatful if someone could re-post them or PM them to me

David
New owner of a 96' Maxima GLE
Old 09-07-2006, 11:00 AM
Dan
No Longer Owns a Maxima

Welcome to the org, David. The pictures are still showing for me. Here's a direct link: http://img143.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img11565dk.jpg
Old 09-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks Dan,

maybe imageshack was down last night

all is working now.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Success!

Thanks again Dan!

This is the best thing ever!
Old 10-04-2006, 05:54 PM

is there any way to make the volume level louder...? by the way i put it in a '99 bose HU with no problems so yea it can b done. only thing is i have subs and the input aux volume is so quiet that u can barely hear them...
Old 10-18-2006, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by goldfish914
is there any way to make the volume level louder...? by the way i put it in a '99 bose HU with no problems so yea it can b done. only thing is i have subs and the input aux volume is so quiet that u can barely hear them...
I have the same problem. I have a cornbalt unit and i still cant get good volume.

What is the best power source to draw from? I think my problem is im not getting enough amps.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:12 AM
Reppin' the 216

I'm definitely looking into doing this sometime REALLY soon! I just read the whole thread... and I would really really appreciate it if someone could make a digram or just tell me how the wires will get connected after being soldered onto the board in the back of the bose hu. Does R+ go together with R- and L+ with L-? There's still about 3 other wires left over... GRD and all others... what do those get connected to?... Sorry... I'm really dumb when it comes down to this kind of stuff. I've soldered before, so I'll be fine with that.

Also, could someone confirm if I use the adapter for the iPod, will I get normal sound levels? ->
Old 12-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Reppin' the 216

And what would I have to ask the guys at RadioShack to give me for this project? Switch, jacks... Blah blah...

Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 12-16-2006, 11:37 AM

glad this got bumped, I have a spare Bose headunit around. . . time to do some soldering
Old 12-16-2006, 01:21 PM
Dan
No Longer Owns a Maxima

Originally Posted by Xtr3m3X
I'm definitely looking into doing this sometime REALLY soon! I just read the whole thread... and I would really really appreciate it if someone could make a digram or just tell me how the wires will get connected after being soldered onto the board in the back of the bose hu. Does R+ go together with R- and L+ with L-? There's still about 3 other wires left over... GRD and all others... what do those get connected to?... Sorry... I'm really dumb when it comes down to this kind of stuff. I've soldered before, so I'll be fine with that.

Also, could someone confirm if I use the adapter for the iPod, will I get normal sound levels? ->
Your line out from the ipod connects to the R+, L+, R-, L-. If you use a 1/8" plug, you will have L, R, and common on the 1/8". You will connect R- and L- to common, and R+ to R and L+ to L.

The other two wires go to your switch. Connect them together (switch on) to enable your aux.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:37 PM
Reppin' the 216

Sounds good Dan! Thank you! One question you still haven't answered though... The Auto Kit with the dock connector says it has a built-in amp... Do you think that will make a diff. in the sound levels I will get? Do you think it'll make it be the same as radio/cd?
Old 12-16-2006, 07:06 PM
Reppin' the 216

I found a review that actually answers my question...

"This thing is great! This is basically a "dock" for the car. It powers and charges the ipod, while providing an audio jack to hook up to your car stereo without having to plug into the headphone jack of the ipod. Now to clear up a point from other reviews. A few reviewers were giving this product LOW rating, not because of problems with the adapter, but because of their own faulty hook up. Ever notice the hiss you get from playing a tape? Well guess what, if you hook up anything through a tape adapter, yeah, you're gonna get that same hiss. Did you notice that FM doesn't sound as clear as a cd? Well same thing applies here. It's gonna sound like FM if you use an FM transmitter. The noise is coming from the tape and fm adapters, NOT the Belkin adapter. If you have a line input in your deck, or buy an adapter to add a line in to the back of you deck, you'll get PERFECT sound. It's as clear as any cd i have (depending on the compression of the mp3). I simply spliced into my cd changer's audio (since i no longer use the cd changer because of my ipod), and now I get crystal clear sound from my ipod thanks to the Belkin Adapter. I was actually suprised at the clarity after reading some of these reviews, but I assumed it was because of the way they had it hooked up. I used to use the headphone jack before, but I had to turn it up almost all the way. With the belkin, I can now adjust the audio so that it's the same level as my radio. Once you have it set the same, you really don't need to adjust the adapter's volume ever again. It's nice and loud now! Hopefully you can hook yours up the same, without noisy adapters."
Old 12-21-2006, 05:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am going to try out Dan's method on my 97 I30t Infiniti... Let's see how it goes...
Old 12-26-2006, 04:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Voila!

Update: Now my Infiniti I30t 1997 has a fully functional Harmon Kardon Drive + Play system connected with an aux input at the back of the bose unit. Thanks a lot Dan!
Old 01-05-2007, 10:08 AM

I have been reading this thread for a while now. I have a question. I have a 98 GXE without Bose, will I be able to do this mod. I really want to use my iPod in my car. The FM modulator is driving me nuts.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:53 PM

I just got wired my griffin road trip into my 97 bose and it sounds great! It seemed to have good volume even when i plugged right into the headphone jack , surprisingly.

What I did was take off the FM modulator from the roadtrip unit. this reveals a 1/8 inch jack. I plugged in a female to female connector, then a 1/8 inch to rca. i plugged the rca into a SMD mount female rca (just cuz i had one lying around) then wired that into the cd changer port. I also wired in a switch to get into aux mode.

I wonder what the 5(maybe 6) pin DIN connector on the back is for?
Old 01-14-2007, 11:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

loudness problem

Originally Posted by scrooge_mcduck
got it to work! much thanks for the how-to. the only thing is even with my mp3 player at full blast and the HU volume all the way, it is only average listening. anyone else have the low volume this bad? can i do anything to fix it? thanks again for the how-to, and thanks to anyone with suggestions.
Some type of preamp wired into the line in on the aux input....maybe?
Old 01-14-2007, 12:32 PM

aux input

Originally Posted by crzyshane
Can anyone please send me the Matt Cervi's PDF entitled: Matts_Nissan_Bose_Aux_Input_Circuit.pdf

It's reference above at an IP address but I cannot seem to access it.

Thanks so much!
Shane
me too!! I can not access it either...
Old 01-26-2007, 12:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

some clarification required, please

hi -

i have a '96 maxima with the stock bose head-unit (no cd changer). i want to hardwire my ipod into the system. i've been reading this thread and am now confused because a number of extraneous concepts have been introduced. can you please take some time to answer the following questions:

- since the pc board connection points were determined by using a continuity tester from the cd changer connector, can i make the connections at the cd changer connector or must i solder them onto the pc board?
- are the issues with white noise and low volume addressed by going through the ipod dock connector rather than the headphone jack?
- can i use the ipod dock connector as the audio connection or must i use the headphone connector? (so that at runtime i can make power & audio connections with just one connection.)
- is there any benefit to adding the cd changer (does it make the project simpler?)
- is the soundgate aux adapter appropriate for my application? or is it for later head-units?
- is the USASPEC PA11 adapter appropriate for my application? or is it for later head-units?
- are the audio signals in the ipod dock connector line-level?

if the soundgate & usaspec adapters arent appropriate, here is my proposed solution:
- buy a 12v ipod charging adapter (as pictured several places in this thread)
- cut off the 12v end
- hard-wire the audio conductors to the head unit cd changer connector (i have the plug so i can connect to it rather than the connector in the back of the head unit)
- hard-wire the power conductors to a 12v source
- wire a switch between the "CD-Combi (RXD)" and "AUX-ON" pins on the cd changer plug (as has been suggested in the thread)

with this, i would have only one simple connection to the ipod that supposedly doesnt have the volume or noise issues. will this work?

thanks - bob
Old 02-06-2007, 11:42 AM

Another Success

I just thought I'd post and say that I got this working.
I have a 98 with Bose

I didn't want to risk damaging my stereo by soldering directly to the circuit board so decided to make my own harness to go into the CD changer port as a previous poster said worked on their car.

I used the pinout diagram referenced on page one called Matts_Nissan_Bose_Aux_Input_Circuit.pdf and then made a connector to connect to pins K (RXD) and L (AUX ON) I wired these to a rocker switch that I mounted by the cupholders. I then hooked up the 4 speaker wires to pins A,B, E and F and connected these to a 1/8 jack.

I found that this http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search
serial port kit makes a great starting point for the harness. There are small crimp connectors in the kit that slide right over the pins on the CD Changer port. I just soldered my wires to the crimp connectors and then used shrink wrap on them so they wouldn't accidentally touch.

I then hooked up the 1/8 audio plug to a Monster iCharger line out port so the volume wouldn't be low as some complained about. The audio was low when using the line out on the iPod but using the dock connector is much louder http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Cable-...&s=electronics

Also the advantage of using the dock connector with charger is that the iPod auto starts and stops when turning the car on and off.
Hope this helps somebody out. Thanks for the great post, saved me at least $150 on a 2005 Pathfinder Bose radio, which was going to be my fallback if this didn't work.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:51 AM

1.Yes, I'd use the CD Changer
2. Either work fine but I'd suggest the Dock. Line out on iPod works fine as well, you just have to turn the volume all the way up on the iPod and much higher on the stereo
3.Either
4. Can't add a CD Changer if using the port for iPod.
5. Not needed
6. Not needed
7. Yes

Sounds like what you have planned would/should work.

Originally Posted by R_E_Singer
hi -

i have a '96 maxima with the stock bose head-unit (no cd changer). i want to hardwire my ipod into the system. i've been reading this thread and am now confused because a number of extraneous concepts have been introduced. can you please take some time to answer the following questions:

1. since the pc board connection points were determined by using a continuity tester from the cd changer connector, can i make the connections at the cd changer connector or must i solder them onto the pc board?
2. are the issues with white noise and low volume addressed by going through the ipod dock connector rather than the headphone jack?
3. can i use the ipod dock connector as the audio connection or must i use the headphone connector? (so that at runtime i can make power & audio connections with just one connection.)
4. is there any benefit to adding the cd changer (does it make the project simpler?)
5. is the soundgate aux adapter appropriate for my application? or is it for later head-units?
6. is the USASPEC PA11 adapter appropriate for my application? or is it for later head-units?
7. are the audio signals in the ipod dock connector line-level?

if the soundgate & usaspec adapters arent appropriate, here is my proposed solution:
- buy a 12v ipod charging adapter (as pictured several places in this thread)
- cut off the 12v end
- hard-wire the audio conductors to the head unit cd changer connector (i have the plug so i can connect to it rather than the connector in the back of the head unit)
- hard-wire the power conductors to a 12v source
- wire a switch between the "CD-Combi (RXD)" and "AUX-ON" pins on the cd changer plug (as has been suggested in the thread)

with this, i would have only one simple connection to the ipod that supposedly doesnt have the volume or noise issues. will this work?

thanks - bob
Old 02-11-2007, 05:00 PM

Ok after reading this thread a couple of times i understand what i need to do. what i have a question is is this.

It is said that you can not use the cd changer button, because the cd changer must be plugged in for it to work. what I am trying to do is find a way to be able to push the cd changer button instead of wiring up an external switch to make the AUX work.

if you look at the cd changer plug there are four pins that I assume the HU looks for when you press the cdchanger button. they are the following:

C: Combi -> CD (TXT)
D: Combi on signal output
J: Slave-IC request
K: CD -> Combi (RXD)

there are also two grounds (pins G and H)

is there a way to wire these up so that you can press the cd changer button instead of an external switch??? Does anyone know what these different pins do on the cd changer?
Old 02-26-2007, 02:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok so on your switch your taking your ground and aux to the switch, so ground to one terminal tab, and aux to the other terminal tab and thats the end of the switch? it seems like a loop to me?
Old 03-01-2007, 03:17 PM

Anyone in the DC area I could toss a few bucks to help me do this??
Old 03-20-2007, 03:25 PM

I just did this in my '97 Maxima SE, and it worked perfectly! I made the mistake of wiring the "AUX OUT" on the main pin out to the "RX" instead of the "AUX OUT" on the CD Changer connector, but once I switched it, the whole setup works great.

Thanks again to Dan. Next I'm going to crack apart a Belkin iPod adapter and wire the dock directly to the stereo.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:01 AM
Loved by MrGone longtime

Originally Posted by dab09
Thanks again Dan!

This is the best thing ever!

what did you do to your hand?
Old 03-26-2007, 04:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Beer drinking incident...

No worries it wasn't during the modding process... it was a beer incident.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys, not sure if Dan is still around but I need some help!!!

I have a 99 Bose stereo I got from a friend and I can't seem to locate the Aux pin anywhere on the bottom of the stereo.

I found the L+/- R+/- GND and RXD but cannot find the Aux.

I thought it was pin L but on the label beside it, it says N.C

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:50 PM

ARGH!

I have already done this mod to my '97, and was attempting to get a bit fancier when I did it to my girlfriend's '95.

I cracked open one of the Belkin Car adapters (mentioned numerous times on this thread), and hardwired the 12V directly into the circuit board (effectively by-passing the onboard fuse). At first, it worked perfectly. Of course, as I was buttoning up the dash, the 12+ wire from the Belkin's circuit board broke off. "No problem," I thought, and just resoldered the wire back on. WRONG ANSWER.

Something must've happened, because I plugged my iPod back in... and it immediately went dead. I trouble shot everything, rewired the whole thing, and plugged ANOTHER one of my iPod's in (I'm an idiot). FRIED!

Ugh... now I've got to buy two new iPods. Dammit!

If you ARE going to hard wire it in, just solder to the exterior power terminals on the lighter plug and wrap the whole thing with electrical tape. That way, if something happens, you can always blame it on Belkin.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:29 PM

Help With 99 Install

i found all the wires on the circuit board of the bose unit except the AUX.
i was wondering if anyone successfully completed this mod on a 99 max can help with a pic or a description of were it is, or if it is even on the board.
Thanks
Old 07-15-2007, 02:34 PM

wow, will this work for the 99 cuz the joint looks different get an ipod hooked instead getting a new headunit
Old 08-10-2007, 04:42 AM
Beast Mode!!!

I have a '99 doube-din non-Bose... any hope for me?
Old 10-25-2007, 08:04 PM

Hey, just wanted to thank everyone that has contributed to this thead. Tonite I went from this

to this

in the wife's 95 GLE. Was handy to have a spare Bose HU sitting around (found in junkyard a few weeks ago, paid $12 on 1/2 off day). I like the look of the newer units much more anyways.

Thanks again, the XM sounds 100x better when not going through the FM radio!
Old 10-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Dan
No Longer Owns a Maxima

Originally Posted by 98se5speed
Hey, just wanted to thank everyone that has contributed to this thead. Tonite I went from this

to this

in the wife's 95 GLE. Was handy to have a spare Bose HU sitting around (found in junkyard a few weeks ago, paid $12 on 1/2 off day). I like the look of the newer units much more anyways.

Thanks again, the XM sounds 100x better when not going through the FM radio!
How did you attach the XM to your ashtray?
Old 10-26-2007, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dan
How did you attach the XM to your ashtray?
Screwed the XM bracket directly to ashtray, snapped XM receiver into bracket. I'll send you some pics if you want. Found a spare ashtray at the junkyard incase I ever need to remove XM or sell car.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:37 PM

I took some decent (7 mp) shots of the bottom of a 2000 bose unit, and like the others on here, I can't find the AUX pin you guys are talking about. I'll post the pics tomorrow so you technically minded folks can take a look, but has anyone done a 00 or 01?
Old 10-30-2007, 09:33 AM

Is there not a way to have the HU go to "AUX" when you plugin the MP3 player? (I am not an Ipod user) I am thinking maybe a 1/8 inch jack with another 2 connectors that would ground the Aux pin when you inserted a male connector? Basically an 1/8 inch jack with six connectors instead of the usual 4??? (or 3 if ground is common to both channels) is there such an animal even???

Dan are you still around? if so could you let me know if you tried that? OR why it will not work (like they don't make a connector like that or whatever???)

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Add aux to stock bose...