Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Help with JL 12 W6's

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2001, 07:32 PM

i might be able to get my hands on a couple of JL 12 W6's and i was wondering how would i hook them up? they are 6 ohm DVC's (300w rms). on the jl website it says if you wire one w6 in parallel to one channel it will give you a 3 ohm load.
would a Rockford Power 800.2 be a good match for these subs? would i wire each sub to each channel? im not too sure about all this dvc stuff so any help would be great.
Old 05-20-2001, 08:31 PM
jmax

You definitely won't over power the JL's with that amp. The W6's are really meant to be bought in triples. Three speakers hooked up individually in series and then bridged parallel creates a 4 ohm load. You would be running at 3 ohms on each channel. If you had one more sub you could bridge the amp and take advantage of it's full potential, but the subs will still have less than what will really push them.

Old 05-20-2001, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by jmax
You definitely won't over power the JL's with that amp. The W6's are really meant to be bought in triples. Three speakers hooked up individually in series and then bridged parallel creates a 4 ohm load. You would be running at 3 ohms on each channel. If you had one more sub you could bridge the amp and take advantage of it's full potential, but the subs will still have less than what will really push them.
thanks for the reply jmax. yeah i heard triples are better, but a friend has a couple that i might buy from him. do they still make the w6? if the subs he has are still in good condition(which he says they are), then i might think about adding a third if i can find one. so three wired together will make a 4 ohm load for one channel? if so...how many watts would push those three? the site says they are 300w rms so would that mean i would need a near 900w rms to push them?
Old 05-20-2001, 09:02 PM
jmax

The RF should double it's output into a bridged 4 ohm load, so 800 watts. Many people say they under-rate their amps put with a 60 amp fuse I don't see any more than a max possible output of 900 RMS. That's giving it 60% efficiency at the fuses long term limit. The average class AB is less than 50% efficient but I have heard the RF's are pretty good. JL also under-rates their subs power limit so 350 or 400 watts would probably not harm them unless you cranked it at full volume with max excursion all the time. Playing those subs that way would probably shatter your eardrum.

Old 05-21-2001, 12:50 AM
STFU n00b!

yup.. I agree with everything above... only thing I've got to add is that I've seen a trio of 12W6s take the beating from a 2000RMS PA amplifier for years with no problems. had a friend that built the subs into a coffee table box and left them in his living room. the box weighed about 400lb after the subs were mounted in it, and it would STILL crawl along the floor when it was cranked up. those things are monsters when given enough power.

I've got a trio of 10w6s in my car with 600W rms on them, and the car ran consistent 135dB at competitions. go to 12W6s with more power, and you're looking at 145dB or so pretty easily. that's enough to blow an eardrum in seconds!
Old 05-21-2001, 04:07 AM

Originally posted by Matt93GXE
yup.. I agree with everything above... only thing I've got to add is that I've seen a trio of 12W6s take the beating from a 2000RMS PA amplifier for years with no problems. had a friend that built the subs into a coffee table box and left them in his living room. the box weighed about 400lb after the subs were mounted in it, and it would STILL crawl along the floor when it was cranked up. those things are monsters when given enough power.

I've got a trio of 10w6s in my car with 600W rms on them, and the car ran consistent 135dB at competitions. go to 12W6s with more power, and you're looking at 145dB or so pretty easily. that's enough to blow an eardrum in seconds!
are those 10w6s in a ported box or sealed? if i just ran two 12w6s would it still bump with the rf800.4?
Old 05-21-2001, 06:42 AM
STFU n00b!

Mine were sealed in a box big enough to just cut a hole and add a port (3 cu ft).. had I put them in the smaller box to begin with, they would have been even louder.

and yeah, those thing will beat you silly in your car, whether it's a sealed or ported box.
Old 05-24-2001, 04:56 PM

I have 2 15w6's in a sealed box, the back of the box has plexiglas on it. Wiring those 2 speakers in parallel will give you a 1.5 ohm load on your amp. My best suggestion is getting an amplifier that is stable down to 1 ohm load. Your response will be alot better. I'm looking for that 1000 watt amp that can handle a 1ohm load. Just my 2 cents.

K
Old 05-24-2001, 07:42 PM

w6's compared to an L7

how would a single solo baric 12" L7 compare to a couple of jl's w6's? if anyone has heard the solo's i'd like to hear your opinion on them. i was down at a shop with a 15" L7 in a 6 cubic foot ported box but it was not ready to be heard.(amp blown or something)
Old 05-24-2001, 09:25 PM
STFU n00b!

I haven't heard them compared next to each other, but a 6 cu ft box would take up almost your entire trunk for ONE sub. not for the faint of heart..

My box is 3 cu ft and it takes up a good chunk of it..
http://www.ee.utulsa.edu/~mblehm/pic...ood_pics/4.jpg