Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

head unit cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 10:47 PM

head unit cutting out

hey there, I have a 1990 max with the bose system, but have since replaced everything, components up front, and just today new 6x9s in the back. I purchased the car with a rather old looking kenwood head unit, and when I installed my components, bypassed the amps in the back. It sounded good, however if I turned it up to a respectably loud sound, the headunit would shut off, immediatly turn back on, and continue this pattern until I turned down the volume considerably. I figured it had to do with the rears being old and blown, so today I bought some 6x9s but that hasnt helped the cause, as when I turn the music up the HU cuts out and turns back on. I have some theories- either the headunit is really old and can't power the speakers, or my alternator is aging and is having too much power drained, or theres some random wire contacting metal or something that is cutting out the power in the back. Mind you, when I fade the sound to the front speakers, it doesn't do it I believe, so im convinced that something is going on in the back of the car. If anyone has any input Ill be very gratious. thanks.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:29 PM

Disconnect the wires for the rears altogether and try it again if you think thats the problem. I would venture to say that since it only happens when you crank it loud, its a power problem, i.e. either the constant or acc wire doesnt have enough voltage, or the head unit isnt grounded well. A DMM is your best friend, you can see if any speaker wire is grounding out, and see exactly how much voltage your head unit is getting.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:59 AM

Ill check the hu grounding and everything as you say, thatll get me started in the right direction. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

in pro audio.. that always means that ONE STRAND of your speaker wire has slipped out of place..and is barely rubbing against a ground somewhere.

Always.

xo