Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Buying Pioneer AVIC-D1 what do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 08:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Buying Pioneer AVIC-D1 what do I need?

ALright I finally firgured out that I am buying the pioneer Avic-D1. Now I am going to probably install it with my dad, and I just need to know what parts to buy. I have a 2002 max se with Bose.
These are the parts I know of but I don't knwo where to get them. I have done some searches on google and ebay and have come up with nothing.
List:
GPS antenna...part # where to get it? Would this one work?
Wiring harness..part # where to get it?
Trim...I can buy the OEM GXE trim but is there something cheaper or better?
Ipod adapter....CD-IB100
The PAC adapter...is this the part # PAC SWI-PS?

And is there anything else that I am missing that would be a big part of this installation? My dad is a mechanic so he has like the butt connectors and that random stuff. I just need to know everything to get to hook up to the bose, steering wheel controls etc.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:44 PM

let me ask you bro, i got the pioneer avic n2, and someone said you need the pac adapter, i have a 04 , and the new headunit doesnt sound as loud as the stock one, is this becuase i don't have a pac adapter? what is its purpose? if i need it, where can i get it? help,!!! i been asking all over and nobody wants to help
Old 08-14-2005, 09:18 PM

I think the PAC adapter lets you hook up to the bose unit and the OEM steering wheel controls. Thats what I got out of what the guy said at the audio store. Someone correct me if i am wrong.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

GPS antenna should come with the unit, unless you get it used off eBay.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:04 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

PAC or any other adaptors are Not needed to connected to Bose. You can use Metra P/N: 70-7551 OR P/N: 70-7550 and splice in RCA leads.

For the steering controls you would need the PAC SWI-X, although they typically work like crap.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:20 PM

the PAC SWI-X or the PAC SWI-PS will let you integrate steering wheel controls. I have never installed the PS ver. but I know that your deck should have the wired remote input. From my experience stick with PAC... not Peripheral or any other company. I am not sure the difference in manufacturing, but I know I have personally came across 2 Peripherals that I could not get to program, even with tech support from them and I have never had problems w/ PAC. Also I am familiar w/ Metra products and the 7550 is the harnesses you will need. Another thing you need to look at is what you are going to be doing w/ the unit. I hope that you aren't trying to play DVD's/VCD's b/c this unit does not have DVD capabilities. The D1 is awesome but only plays CD's and does navigation.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by STACK BUNDLES
let me ask you bro, i got the pioneer avic n2, and someone said you need the pac adapter, i have a 04 , and the new headunit doesnt sound as loud as the stock one, is this becuase i don't have a pac adapter? what is its purpose? if i need it, where can i get it? help,!!! i been asking all over and nobody wants to help
you don't need the PAC adapter for running just your deck. I have heard that PAC makes an E-Brake simulator for decks like the N2 which is probably what whoever was recommending this had in mind. I don't know if you are trying to play videos while your driving but this part is neccessary to do this everytime you start your vehicle w/o actually depressing the E-brake. And no, the PAC has NOTHING to do with your volume. I am assuming you are having this problem b/c you are using this head w/ your factory speakers.
Upgrading your speakers will take care of the sound level problem. Aftermarket spks will perform better under the new power pushing them. Obviously amplifying would be ideal, but this would most likely solve what you are describing. You do have factory spks? I was assuming by the diagnosis. All in all though don't think that because your factory setup got louder quicker that this is better. Your new setup will be clearer at louder volumes and will generally get louder overall when setup correctly.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:53 AM

thanks everyone for all your input, to answer your question mak, yes i do have stock speakers , do you thnk i should get a decent watt amp to give them some more boost, or should i just replace the speakers with better ones?
Old 08-15-2005, 02:24 PM

http://www.tomz.org/avictut

-Tom
Old 08-15-2005, 02:27 PM

i thought that the d1 doesnt have a wireless remote and therefore you couldnt use the swix on it???
Old 08-15-2005, 02:27 PM

Sorry, didn't specifically answer any of your questions with last post.

Originally Posted by cutter
GPS antenna...part # where to get it?
Comes with unit.

Wiring harness..part # where to get it?
Anywhere. I bought mine off e-bay but saw an identical one at pep boys.

Trim...I can buy the OEM GXE trim but is there something cheaper or better?
Nope.... you will want to the GXE trim, especially if you don't want to redrill the bracket to mount the unit lower. (the GXE trim piece has less space btw vents and radio).
Old 08-15-2005, 02:53 PM

Thanks a lot. Yea I read through your tutorial a couple of times. Is it the same for the Bose? And is it easy to hook up a PS2 to it to get DVD play back? I am just nervous if I install it with my Dad that we won't have the correct parts etc. Oh yeah what is the specific wiring harness I need. I see so many of them and I don't knwo which one is the right one thanks a lot. Also on your tutorial you bought an antenna adapter, what is that for and do i need it?
Old 08-15-2005, 03:14 PM

Thanks a lot. Yea I read through your tutorial a couple of times. Is it the same for the Bose? And is it easy to hook up a PS2 to it to get DVD play back? I am just nervous if I install it with my Dad that we won't have the correct parts etc.
I dunno about the bose (mine was non-bose). I believe the harness should be the same (based on the fact that the one I purchased was labeled generically.... something like for 95 nissans and up). Other than that I'm not sure how the subwoofer and amplified speakers will behave with an aftermarket system. Search the forum or seek the advice of someone more experienced with installing in maximas (like Don).

The PS2 shouldn't be a problem. The D1 has a cluster of inputs on a second harness with RCA inputs (see installation instructions for details). Just make sure that you have enough wire to put the PS2 whre you want it to go.

-Tom
Old 08-15-2005, 03:51 PM

Alright, so does anyone know if I need anything special to run the Bose through this HU? Or will it be fine this way. Tom what was the need for the antenna adapter? Does this harness seem right? HERE
Old 08-15-2005, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by STACK BUNDLES
thanks everyone for all your input, to answer your question mak, yes i do have stock speakers , do you thnk i should get a decent watt amp to give them some more boost, or should i just replace the speakers with better ones?
Replacing the speakers w/ better ones and then amplifying them is no doubt the best way to go hands down. However running your aftermarket speakers off of just your deck is also going to sound better than running your bose system off your aftermarket deck. I was just informed today as well that PAC makes a bose adapter which will allow you to hook up your bose system to your N2 more efficiently. Also if you replace the speakers you need to bypass the bose amplifier. Not too difficult.

Originally Posted by jeepik
i thought that the d1 doesnt have a wireless remote and therefore you couldnt use the swix on it???
You are definetly correct that the D1 doesn't come w/ a remote however I do believe that you can purchase one for it. I could quite possibly wrong though. Either way you can still use the SWI-PS and use the wired remote input.

Originally Posted by tomz17
Anywhere. I bought mine off e-bay but saw an identical one at pep boys.
I am by no means bashing tomz17 but you don't want to just buy any harness. Trust me, buy metra, it will save you the hassle of pins pulling, crappy fitment, etc. Make sure you get the 70-7550 and not the 71-7550 if you aren't integrating.

Nope.... you will want to the GXE trim, especially if you don't want to redrill the bracket to mount the unit lower. (the GXE trim piece has less space btw vents and radio).
Trust me on this too. Fitment w/ the GXE kit and asthetics are great. This is the kit you want. Don't cut corners

Alright, so does anyone know if I need anything special to run the Bose through this HU? Or will it be fine this way. Tom what was the need for the antenna adapter? Does this harness seem right? HERE
NO! This is the factory replacment harness if you linked this correctly. You want the Metra 70-7550 if you want to use factory bose and hope for the best.
Warning: this will not sound very good!
I am looking up the integration harness right now. I know Metra carries it and I have used it w/ no problems at work.

And is it easy to hook up a PS2 to it to get DVD play back? I am just nervous if I install it with my Dad that we won't have the correct parts etc.
Easy to hook up? Sort of...you will need a power inverter for power supply (400 amp recommended). Then just feed RCA's to the head and your done. Again as I stated above though, these units will not play if you are driving unless you buy an E-Brake sim. YOU CANNOT JUST GROUND THE UNITS FOR VIDEO PLAYBACK! This can be done just not like you could on other units.

And finally....

Also on your tutorial you bought an antenna adapter, what is that for and do i need it?
Yes you will need an antenna adapter. Your factory antenna plug WILL NOT plug into your Pioneer deck. Unfortunatly no Nissans will. Here is the adapter you will need though. Again Metra carries this product, other companies do as well which will work, but I recommend Metra.

Antenna Adapter
Non Integrated Radio Harness
Old 08-15-2005, 07:23 PM

Yup... the harness in the picture looks right.

As for the antenna adapter, I just picked one up from ebay Search for Nissan antenna adapter.. Also saw one at my local pep-boys (it was very clearly labeled).

-Tom

P.S. IMHO the trickiest part of the entire operation was getting the screws out of the stock HU. Those things felt like they were welded in!
Old 08-15-2005, 07:26 PM

THIS IS NOT THE RIGHT HARNESS! look closely, this harness makes it so you can plug a factory radio back in if your plugs got cut off.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by makdaddy386
THIS IS NOT THE RIGHT HARNESS! look closely, this harness makes it so you can plug a factory radio back in if your plugs got cut off.

OOPS.. sorry... yeah... the one you want looks like this (the two white ones)

Old 08-15-2005, 07:33 PM

P.S. IMHO the trickiest part of the entire operation was getting the screws out of the stock HU. Those things felt like they were welded in!
If you tighten the screws first until you hear them pop, this will break the tension they are under. I know this sounds weird but it works. Then you will be able to unscrew them easier.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:38 PM

thanks guys for all of your help good thing I held back and didn't ourchase everything last night. Now on to buying everything. thanks again. So mac your saying that the Bose will sound like crap with the headunit? And where would I buy this e-brake sim? and do i need this PAC adapter ROEM-NIS2 ?
Old 01-13-2006, 09:14 PM

Hey I am trying to Install the SWI-PS but for some reason i just don;t get the wiring diagram? does any one have pics of that connected to the steering wheel harness. If you do thanks!! Please if possible email them to pmpn8ez052@comcast.net