Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Is The Best Amp Still Alpine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 07:01 AM

Is The Best Amp Still Alpine?

I might pick up an amp to power these boxed boss subs (two 12s) and was wondering what might be a good priced amp on ebay or whatever. Alpine still the best? I never did like Rockford Fosgate.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:23 AM

no way the best amp company right now out is audison its a italian amp company .... i sell them at tweeter. crystal clean power blows alpine JL extant out of the water
Old 08-30-2005, 12:45 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

I wouldnt say Alpine was ever the "best". Although there really isnt any "best" it comes down to what suits your needs.

Audison is a great product, but I wouldnt call it the "best" either.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:53 AM

i would have to say Zapco is one of the best. alpine would suit ur needs just fine for those boss subs. i would go with something of a little more quality tho IMHO.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:20 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Alpine amps are great, but their features seem to sometimes obscure the sound. They make things sound too computerized almost. It's nice to have all of those functions, but it is way too much. Sometimes simpler is better
Old 08-31-2005, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by nismos14
Alpine amps are great, but their features seem to sometimes obscure the sound. They make things sound too computerized almost. It's nice to have all of those functions, but it is way too much. Sometimes simpler is better
I do have to agree with you on that note, however here's the bottom line on sub amps, a class D is a class D is a class D. Features, power output do make the difference. A huge factor which no one mentioned is damping, there are some amps that are much cleaner then others because of this higher damping factor. The bottom line is this, figure out how much power you need, how much you are really willing to spend and go listen to some amps. Alpine is good, the above listed are nice, our amps are great(Infinity and JBL), Memphis amps are good, P.G. I've had a few installers tell me some of the JL amps will shut down or clip out into protect under low loads so take that as you want. Good luck.
And honestly the best sounding amps are Tube but they don't really make the power to drive subs effectively.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:01 PM
aaron lavigne FTG

my personal preference in memphis they give off a good clean thump
Old 08-31-2005, 07:26 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by Maxstilln
I've had a few installers tell me some of the JL amps will shut down or clip out into protect under low loads so take that as you want.
Any amp is going to do that when put under low loads that are not optimal for the amp, and even sometimes with the right load. Alot of it is about matching proper specs etc. to get the proper performance and sound out of the products you're using.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:34 AM

Any amp is going to do that when put under low loads that are not optimal for the amp, and even sometimes with the right load. Alot of it is about matching proper specs etc. to get the proper performance and sound out of the products you're using.
To some extent yes, however if an amp is rated to run 2ohm, which all mono blocks are since you get twice the power at 2ohm vs 4ohm I would think it should work properly with in its specs. Granted there are varibles in any situatution, voltage, input voltage, even music being played makes a difference as some new muisc, like techno is almost like playing square wave for an amp. I was just tossing that bit of info out there, honeslty I was purplexed when I heard that about the JL amps, the usually make a good product, and I've never been one to bash the compition, its just not good business.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:19 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Sounds like we're on the same page here, didnt want to sound like I was defending JL just something I thought I'd put my 2 cents in on.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:47 AM

Sounds like we're on the same page here, didnt want to sound like I was defending JL just something I thought I'd put my 2 cents in on.
Totally, nice to find some one on the org that has a brain too, lol. So many ppl post here based on opinon only and have no grasp of reality or factual information and when you try to explain it to them in a kind, teaching manor they get all pissed off, such a shame.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:22 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Yeah no kidding, it happens when it comes to cars. Every guy (well most) who isn't willin to learn anything and just thinks everything thats in the movies or some ricer tell's them is true then comes on here and post about some non-sensical thing that isn't even remotely true, and they get owned on the .org.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:29 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

so is it safe to say that zapco and audison are one of the better amp companies out right now?
Old 09-03-2005, 01:46 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Moving this to A/V/E.....
Old 09-03-2005, 03:33 PM

Yeah, I concur that Extant sucks, I never heard of them. Xtant on the other hand, they are so pure and clean, along with several other good amps out there.

- ßaller
Old 09-03-2005, 03:44 PM
Back from Hibernation

There are a TON af awesome made amps out there. There are also great choices that fit into any realistic budget.

Let's start with this....How much power do you want to give these subs? What impedence (ohms) are they? How much you looking to spend? Have you dampened (if not put some money in for that)

After we know this, we might begin to talk about what is the best amp for you, and still then, we're going to disagree because nobody on this forum has worked with/heard/compared with a well installed system

Arc
Zapco
Tru
Brax
Linear Power (Uh, I think this would be my choice though I like.
Audison
Butler tube....
JL audio
Zed
.............and the list goes on
Old 09-03-2005, 03:47 PM

i sorta like the old school RF amps...
Old 09-03-2005, 04:58 PM
Back from Hibernation

No probs with the old school. You can add them as well as some other great old school amps as great options. I love the old school. Cause I like cheap power. Thats not where I want to drop a lot of my dough.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:39 PM

The latest line, and the one before of Memphis M-Class. (the ones with the little Memphis oval in the corner weren't all that great)
Old 09-03-2005, 07:48 PM

lets not forget us amps and ppi(older)
Old 09-03-2005, 08:21 PM

Diamond baby, come on lifetime warranty? shiet that sells it self
Old 09-03-2005, 09:24 PM

my preference is infinity.....dont ask
Old 09-03-2005, 09:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Personal bias -> Diamond Audio
Old 09-03-2005, 09:51 PM

buy the amp that best suits your needs/budget/tastes....

I'll stick by my sig...no desire to run anything else...
Old 09-03-2005, 09:53 PM

for arc

can't wait til i get mine
Old 09-04-2005, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by mattleo
no way the best amp company right now out is audison its a italian amp company .... i sell them at tweeter. crystal clean power blows alpine JL extant out of the water

Its xtant not extant. And i would like to see these amps! more info por favor
Old 09-04-2005, 04:21 AM

For what I paid for my MTX amps they are great .
Old 09-04-2005, 05:17 AM
KH3 by popular demand

The 'best" amp is an illusion. Maybe the question is what is the best amp for those subs. You got boss speakers, get a boss amp. A 500 watt rms boss sub maybe only 250 watts rms in real time on a higher quality amp. When you get higher grade speakers you get higher grade amps.
The "best" amp maybe that JBL sitting in the back of Alma Gates Bronco; you can power a bunch a subs and arch weld with it.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:43 AM

hi-fonics,older ppi..dont know if they still call them"cheater amps" but when i was more into car audio..they were 2 known for under rating power for audio competitions..2 very good brands
Old 09-04-2005, 10:33 AM

im surprised no one mentioned kicker at all...although they are known for their subs more than their amps, i personally have a 1250.1 kicker amp that has pounded 2 12" L7 subs quite nicely for some time now. but yeah, i like the JL amps and also the Xtant amps...just my 2 cents...
Old 09-04-2005, 11:22 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Kicker is like RF. Their older stuff easily outshines the new, the fact is they are now more into selling as much as possible rather than the highest quality available.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by sodie14
im surprised no one mentioned kicker at all...although they are known for their subs more than their amps, i personally have a 1250.1 kicker amp that has pounded 2 12" L7 subs quite nicely for some time now. but yeah, i like the JL amps and also the Xtant amps...just my 2 cents...

I ran their older stuff for many years (ZR240, ZR360, ZX460, and DX700) and was very happy with it. Actually the ZX460 I had lasted quite a bit of years (this thing was supposed to do 30x4 RMS but it put out a little over 420 watts RMS total at a 4ohm bridged load). I bought it brand new in 1997, and I just replaced it this year (the issues that it had were caused by me) Since these things were 1ohm stable I even ran it with the rear channels at a 2ohm bridged mode for a while with no issues. Out of those amps the only one that quit on me was the DX700, it would cut out at higher volume levels (this was after about 3 years).
Old 09-04-2005, 11:54 PM

Alpine hasn't made the best amps since 1988.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:49 AM

zapco was the best back in the day and i believe, at least my opinion is still the best now. the shop where i get my ID max's and DLS iridiums setup a civic will all of the oldest possible zapco amps, the zapco amps actually have plugs which connect each one almost like an electric guitar wire that goes into the amplifier they use. it is one of the first zapco amps ever produced,speakers are some really old brnad i cant remeber the name. and an eclipse CD player from like 1988. thsi was turned into a full SQ car and won first place in SQ comp its first time out i dont remeber where but they used over 30 year old amps and equipment mostly by zapco. i thought it was pretty neat it was like a completely vintage SQ car which beat all the new tech thats out there today.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:12 AM

The best ever.

Old 09-05-2005, 10:25 AM

Wow. It sure is amazing how many people think their amps are the best! I wonder who is right?

Truth is, just about every single modern day amplifier is going to sound virtually identical to each other when equally driven. Want more power? Get an amp with more power. Armelius...Choose an amp that has the best features for your use: xovers, size, cooling fans, power output, inputs, outputs, bass level control, etc.

There's absolutley nothing magical about amplifiers when it comes to making something sound "smooth", "mechanized" or "warm". A watt is a watt. To say otherwise is extremely ignorant and just spreads the myth.

The only exception to this is tube amps. Apples to oranges. Not saying they're better...but they don't follow the same rules.

Tony
Old 09-05-2005, 11:04 AM

They are all right, if it fits their particular needs, it is the best amp for them . As for me, this last time around I went with what I thought were pretty good bang for the buck amps, and I am pretty happy. Gotta love closeout deals.

Tony you should check out the last month's issue of Car Audio & Electronics. Pretty interesting stuff about their listening test between different classes of amps. One of them was a tube amp, pretty pricey one at that.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:09 AM
Back from Hibernation

Thank you. Finally the voice of reason. (not suprised that it comes from a man w/ a DRZ ) I hope anybody reading this thread takes these responses with a grain of salt...

Funny how everyone LOVES their own equiptment, or had an amp that worked/works for them so it must be classified as "the best" or one of the best.

Like I should have more explicitely said before in my previous post pointing out just some of the many good amps out there (and no offense to any of you), none or quite near none of you making claims that your amp (or the amp you used....) have gotten to hear half of the decent to real good amps out there, in comprable systems swapped, on a reference home setup, or have your amps benched or anything.

At least some people have the sense to admit it's their personal bias or that they use this amp and have no desire for anything else, or mentioned that an amp is a good buy due to a warranty and good price or something.

Good sound is 80-90% install, and of the percent that is equipment, the amp is a pretty small % of that IMO. Get an amp you trust that puts out the power you need, with any features you need, at the right price..
Old 09-05-2005, 11:20 AM

Crap, that's a lot of opinion on the best amp for his Boss 12" subs. Seriously, how much better does an Arc Audio amp sound than an RF when hooked up to subs? Like many of the latest posters have said, get something that fits your needs. . .I would suggest a class D amp that puts out a decent amount of power, that is made by a reliable company. Alpine will do great in your set up, and there are many, many other very good brands that will do equally well.

Some stuff to look for:
If you ever plan on running subs in a ported enclosure, you might want to make sure you have a subsonic filter.
If you decide on a 4 channel amp that you can later use for a front stage [I wouldn't suggest a class D for this situation], you might want to make sure that the amps high pass xover isn't limited to less than 2000 Hz [in case you want to connect tweets to one set of channels, and the mids to the others].
If you plan on changing your subs some time, you might want to consider an amp like JL which can supply the same wattage to varying impedance loads [or an amp that delivers a suitable amount of power to your subs now, but that can deliver more to a lower impedance load], so that you aren't as limited later when you upgrade your subs.
If you want to start building up now, consider a four channel amp that can power your subs with the rear channels and your front stage with the front channels [later you could add a class d amp for the subs, and use the 4 channel for the front stage].

Again, try to think about what your plans are in the future, and you can save yourself some time/trouble/money. If you plan on building a future SQ system and will want the best for your front stage, you might want to get one of the many good amps discussed in this thread so that your amps will match when you build up from here.

dh
Old 09-05-2005, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by 1996blackmax
Tony you should check out the last month's issue of Car Audio & Electronics. Pretty interesting stuff about their listening test between different classes of amps. One of them was a tube amp, pretty pricey one at that.
I searched their website and couldn't find the article you were referring to. Can you sum up their findings or provide a link?

Tony

Quick Reply: Is The Best Amp Still Alpine?