Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

help with crossovers mounting location

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 04:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

help with crossovers mounting location

i just bought cdt hd 62 and i was wondering where you guys mount the crossovers ,should i mount them in the doors or in the trunk next to the amp
Old 10-01-2005, 05:02 PM

Depends where your tweeters are going, how much power your running to them, and how your 4 channel amp is wired (if you have one).

Example1: Most 4 channel amps I run speaker wire to the back of the head unit and use factory speaker wire from there. For the components, in lets say a 5th gen with tweeters in the pillar, Ill find the speaker wire in the kick panel and cut it, which once cut, will give me the input for the crossover and the output from the crossover to the midrange in the door. Then all you have to do is drop down a speaker wire from the tweeter to the kick panel.
Example2: Most cars with tweeters in the doors, like a 4th gen, Ill do the same with the 4 channel and run speaker outputs from it to the back of the deck, use factory wire from there. Mount the crossover with backstrap in the door somewhere, and use the factory wire in the door as the input to the crossover and just run new speaker wire from there to the mid and the tweeter.

Keep in mind that most of the 4 channels and components I do (at circuit city) dont require huge speaker wire or power needs, so I do them this way for speed, ease, and ease of uninstallation...and because running new speaker wire wouldnt gain anything. Your other option is always to run all new speaker wire if you have a beefy amp or just because you want to, in which case its just preference...if you want to show them off in your trunk or not. Do keep in mind that if theyre in your trunk youll have to buy and run twice the amount of speaker wire, since youll be running two speaker wires per channel from the amp towards the front of the car.

-kevin