Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Will this fit my needs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 12:53 PM
Bacon Lover

Will this fit my needs?

Hey guys. Another audio n00b here trying to figure out what he wants to do with his factory Bose. I know, I know

My headunit died today and I refuse to replace it with another expensive Bose unit, so I decided I'll go aftermarket. All I need is a headunit and a wiring adapter to go with it, right? I just want something that will play CD's and do it with decent quality. I do not plan on upgrading the rest of my system at all.

So what is Aiwa like? Good quality? I'm liking their CDC-X304 headunit, because it looks like it will fit my needs (and I think it looks good). I was planning on going with this wiring adapter, since the site reccomends it.

I'm not looking to spend a whole lot of money on this, either. I plan on selling the car in a few months, but can't stand not having a stereo to listen to, so I have to do something about it. Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks for spending time listening to an audio n00b
Old 10-03-2005, 01:39 PM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by Tatanko
Hey guys. Another audio n00b here trying to figure out what he wants to do with his factory Bose. I know, I know

My headunit died today and I refuse to replace it with another expensive Bose unit, so I decided I'll go aftermarket. All I need is a headunit and a wiring adapter to go with it, right? I just want something that will play CD's and do it with decent quality. I do not plan on upgrading the rest of my system at all.

So what is Aiwa like? Good quality? I'm liking their CDC-X304 headunit, because it looks like it will fit my needs (and I think it looks good). I was planning on going with this wiring adapter, since the site reccomends it.

I'm not looking to spend a whole lot of money on this, either. I plan on selling the car in a few months, but can't stand not having a stereo to listen to, so I have to do something about it. Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks for spending time listening to an audio n00b

STAY AWAY FROM AIWA

Go with an Eclipse CD-5425. All you need is the HU, wiring harness and antenna adapter. Also, an extra pocket to fill up the extra din space in your 4th gen.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:13 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
STAY AWAY FROM AIWA

Go with an Eclipse CD-5425. All you need is the HU, wiring harness and antenna adapter. Also, an extra pocket to fill up the extra din space in your 4th gen.
Ok, well, somebody else told me the Aiwa would be ok, but that the wiring harness would not be enough to control the factory Bose speakers/amplifiers. So who is right?
Old 10-03-2005, 02:15 PM
Suspension Yoda

Any wiring harness will be fine for the Bose system.

I'd rather go with a 3 year Eclipse warranty over Aiwa's whatever warranty anyday.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:20 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Any wiring harness will be fine for the Bose system.

I'd rather go with a 3 year Eclipse warranty over Aiwa's whatever warranty anyday.
Ok, but this person said the headunit and wiring harness alone would not be able to control the Bose system. True or false?
Old 10-03-2005, 02:28 PM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by Tatanko
Ok, but this person said the headunit and wiring harness alone would not be able to control the Bose system. True or false?
False

The Bose headunit puts out an un-amped preout signal, the same way an aftermarket HU puts out a signal in the RCA form. All that is necessary is the correct harness, as in.

You could chop a pair of male RCA's and splice them into your speaker leads and be good to go. Nothing special.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:29 PM
Bacon Lover

So if I buy one of those pre-made harnesses, I'm good to go?
Old 10-03-2005, 02:38 PM
Suspension Yoda

Should be. Looks like Metra 70-7550.