Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Need help on how to wire factory radio for subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 12:03 PM
I support for what?

Need help on how to wire factory radio for subwoofer

Trying to figure out how to wire a subwoofer into a factory non-bose stereo. I know there no output for a sub so what can I do to get a subwoofer wired to it? Can't afford to buy an aftermarket stereo
Old 11-11-2005, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mxrider52
Trying to figure out how to wire a subwoofer into a factory non-bose stereo. I know there no output for a sub so what can I do to get a subwoofer wired to it? Can't afford to buy an aftermarket stereo
Purchase a line converter, and t-tap all four speaker wires from the back of the stereo to it. From there, run RCAs to the sub amp. Better locs have adjustable pots to adjust the incoming signal for max S/N ratio, to avoid cranking the gain on the amp. Expect to pay $40-$75 for a good one.

Even easier, get a prefab unit like an Infinity Basslink that has speaker level in already, with integrated amp. Just don't expect tons from it; it's designed for enhancement more than car shaking bass. Frankly, if you're just adding a sub, don't fall into the trap of putting too much bass in, unless you plan to upgrade everything else fairly soon. You'll want more than the factory system can provide, and possibly blow speakers.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:13 PM
I support for what?

Where can I get the line converter?
Old 11-13-2005, 04:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

any local car audio store should have one. anyone have suggestions on where to tap in on an '04 bose when trying to do the same thing
Old 11-13-2005, 04:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

behind the radio or at the speaker? and tap into all four?