Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Any good websites for tuning a system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 03:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Any good websites for tuning a system?

In the past, I've googled around a found some websites for basic guidance on tuning a system for good SQ (e.g. soundstage, gains, etc). But no matter how much I fiddle with my system, I always find it lacking the cleaniness and crispness that I think the OEM stereo in many new cars provide. I think my EQ settings are definitely not as good as they can be.

Do you guys have any links to good sites for car stereo tuning? I'd prefer not to search through tons and tons of threads in car stereo forums. Thanks!

I have access to the following "tools":
a spectrum RTA
Autosound 2000 multi-disc test CDs.

FYI, my system:
Eclipse 8V deck (w/front and rear EQ)
JL Audio 12w3 woofer in factory sealed enclosure - powered by RF 500a2 amp (500x1)
MB Quart PSC216 components (front) and some cheapo RF 6.5's (rear-fill) - powered by RF 600a4 amp (75x4)
Old 01-28-2006, 04:42 AM
Back from Hibernation

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=421815

An RTA can definately help someone locate peaking frequencies, but be sure to finish it off with your ear.

I'm not a fan of rear speakers, but oh well I guess that doesn't belong in this thread.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old 01-28-2006, 10:32 AM
Mmm, fresh lobster

I just ran across this thread, followed the link BBOYSTEVIE provided you, and whadda know, it was a question I posed a good bit ago.

Anyway.......sorry for jumping in here, but I never got a chance to thank BBOYSTEVIE for his insanely well detailed and most useful tuning information. So if I may, thank you BBOYSTEVIE, you rule.

CalsonicSE: good luck with your tuning and hope you reach your nirvana of crispness and cleanliness.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:10 AM
Back from Hibernation

My pleasure...and thank the people who originally posted this info (Chuck Music and Matt Borgart....I just pretty much copied and pasted. It's great info though

I'm just finally starting the tuning part of my system. My favorite part!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2006, 01:25 PM
Back from Hibernation

Ohhh one more thing to add. If reading all that stuff about tuning is totally foreign to you, if you generally think a system sounds good when first turned on, or you have difficulty really hearing the difference when phase is flipped, TAKE IT TO SOMEONE ELSE.

There's no subsitute for a seasoned tuner with a well trained ear. I'm OK and all, but when it's all said and done, I'm blessed to have somebody near me who has a much better ear, experience, knowledge....I usually start out and soon cave in, go to him, and he does in 1 or 2 hours what it would take me weeks to come up with. Makes my systems sound 20 times better!!!!!! I usually still do little EQ tweaks after he tunes it to get it a lil more to my liking, but goodness, there's no experience (to those addicted to car audio) to having a pretty good sounding system, and one hour later, having it sound INCREDIBLE.

I'm sure SCK1 (forgot a letter, but whoever it is) can attest to the difference made when Steve Head spent some time tuning his car.

If you're a DIYer or even if you have some local shop (that many very well not be the best tuners) do your install, it may be worth seeing if there's somebody around you that is known to have a talent in tuning.

Lots of really good tuners are happy to do it for free because they enjoy it, are just nice or maybe passionate about car audio. Even if they were gonna charge $50 or $100, for a lot of us, it would be well worth the cost after all the time and money spent on an install to have it sound as good as humanly possible (That is the point of it all, right?). It takes a talented tuner to do that.

Having said that, I'm gonna have to give my buddy a call soon Yay!

To the original poster, I don't know Cali, but I think there's a good tuner around LA, one around the bay area, and then of course theres two of the big dogs....Eric Stevens and Matt Borgart of Image Dynamics in Gardena. Consider going to elitecaraudio.com and asking if there's a good tuner around you. Even if you don't run Image, I think Eric or Matt will work on or tune your car, though they may charge for it. Eric Stevens is supposedly REAL good
Old 01-28-2006, 02:20 PM

geeze. all the options for tuning and what not can seem very overbearing at times. sometimes i love my sound then the next day it isn't what i want it to be. i need an eq though, just have a ppi active xo atm...thanks steve for that link.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:53 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have to agree with BBOYSTEVIE about having an expert tune your system. I had Steve Head tune my system and it made all the difference in the world. Its definitely worth the time and money if you can find someone close to you that has the talent and ear for it.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Here's a great link Steve shared with me a whiles back- i actually have it laminated in my car and use it for Eq work...hope it helps
http://www.recordingeq.com/Subscribe/tip/tascam.htm
Old 02-02-2006, 12:16 PM
Back from Hibernation

Forgot that one....it's a goodie

Still haven't gotten Mic to do my stuff and figuring out how to use my processor is taking as much time as tuning would! Hopefully after this weeking I'll be in "sonic bliss". Everythign is all over the place right now!
Old 02-02-2006, 07:20 PM

bcae1.com the Bible