Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Finally Did Some Work In The Trunk!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 11:14 PM

Finally Did Some Work In The Trunk!!

Finally got to work on the trunk. Got the custom box from ebay and installed some led lights. Let me know what you gouys think

Sorry for the awful night shots!
Old 03-11-2006, 11:22 PM
Newbie just Registered

That's pretty nice. You still got some trunk space left too.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by RHMax
That's pretty nice. You still got some trunk space left too.
Yeah compared to the box i had before, a lot more space!!
Old 03-12-2006, 12:14 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yeah this is the box i have been looking at too... I have a JL Audio 500/1 Monoblock Amp to use, so i will need another 500/1 i guess.. not sure.. new to this audio stuff.. Always had someone install this stuff instead of myself. I understand how it works and what is needed, but need to know more about the set-up, and quality.. Nice work though..
Old 03-12-2006, 06:08 AM
* THIS SPACE FOR RENT *

Looks great keep it up
Old 03-12-2006, 06:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Pretty snug fit and nice touch with the "MAXIMA" word on the box. Are they the chrome ones from the back of your car?

Here's my trunk, no lights, and no sound deadening on the trunk lid. and my color doesn't match as well as yours. It is a tight fit though.

Old 03-12-2006, 08:18 AM
*moderator*

Looking good!! You have your trunk back now. What did you do with the amp???? Let me know if you want help with thre amp rack still...
Old 03-12-2006, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Apollos2
Pretty snug fit and nice touch with the "MAXIMA" word on the box. Are they the chrome ones from the back of your car?

Here's my trunk, no lights, and no sound deadening on the trunk lid. and my color doesn't match as well as yours. It is a tight fit though.

Hey thanks, and yeah those are the chrome one i took off the trunk lid. I just had them laying around and just put them onthere.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
Looking good!! You have your trunk back now. What did you do with the amp???? Let me know if you want help with thre amp rack still...
Hey J, thanks. I tried to stick the amp in the side of the box at least for now, but my amp was to long and wouldnt let the seat fold back up. Right now its inbetween the box and the seats, very tight fit. I need to get it out of there since there is no air circulating to the amp. Yeah i need your help with the amp rack!!!!
Old 03-12-2006, 08:30 AM

Hey thanks guys really appreciate your feed back!!!!
Old 03-12-2006, 08:34 AM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by MAXIMA-GHOST
Yeah this is the box i have been looking at too... I have a JL Audio 500/1 Monoblock Amp to use, so i will need another 500/1 i guess.. not sure.. new to this audio stuff.. Always had someone install this stuff instead of myself. I understand how it works and what is needed, but need to know more about the set-up, and quality.. Nice work though..

I have the same amp, you only need one for the subs, it's a single channel amp. You'll need a 2 or 4 channel if you want to power the other speakers (mine power from the HU just fine)

Oh yeah here's pics of mine as well...

Old 03-12-2006, 08:37 AM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by Majestic_MAx05
Hey J, thanks. I tried to stick the amp in the side of the box at least for now, but my amp was to long and wouldnt let the seat fold back up. Right now its inbetween the box and the seats, very tight fit. I need to get it out of there since there is no air circulating to the amp. Yeah i need your help with the amp rack!!!!

We'll have to hook up and sort it out, send me the dimensions of you amp so I can look into it. Mine was a tight fit on the side and I think your amp is even longer than mine, we'll figure something out!!
Old 03-12-2006, 08:44 AM

OKay, ill send you the dimensions of the amp. I have to go measure, so ill send to you in a couple of hours.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:52 AM

yeah i just put in my 2 12" eclipse subs, i had them for 5 years so far and they still sound good. And my box fit pretty good where you still have trunk space.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:35 PM

im still thinking of throwing my box and amp in but my problem is its a pretty powerfull box/amp setup and i want to run my factory bose interiors with the stock headunit. has anyone done this and does it sound good or am i wasting my time?

by the way all the ppl who posted pics of there setups looks really damn good. good stuff.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:09 PM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by logik05se
im still thinking of throwing my box and amp in but my problem is its a pretty powerfull box/amp setup and i want to run my factory bose interiors with the stock headunit. has anyone done this and does it sound good or am i wasting my time?

by the way all the ppl who posted pics of there setups looks really damn good. good stuff.

I ran my 2 JL W7's with my JL 500/1 amp with the rest stock for a while, sounded fine...still running factory bose interiors actually!
Old 03-13-2006, 11:21 PM

looks good except for the fact that you've disgraced all maxima owners by putting xploids in your car....
Old 03-13-2006, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Max_N_Action
looks good except for the fact that you've disgraced all maxima owners by putting xploids in your car....

I call them Sony Xplod (A.K.A. Sony Boom-Pop)
Old 03-14-2006, 06:11 AM

how is the bass in the cabin with that setup?
Old 03-14-2006, 06:13 AM

well not sure what you have but i have two 15" eclipse titaniums and a 2400 watt concept audio amp and i still have the stock front soundstage and it sounds fine to me.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by maxmale
well not sure what you have but i have two 15" eclipse titaniums and a 2400 watt concept audio amp and i still have the stock front soundstage and it sounds fine to me.
and what did you use to retain the stock headunit? a high low converter?
Old 03-14-2006, 07:34 AM
Suspension Yoda

and what did you use to retain the stock headunit? a high low converter?
No need for a hi-low, LOC or PAC. Just splice RCA's into the speaker leads.

Read the stickies for more information.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:21 AM
*moderator*

how is the bass in the cabin with that setup?

For me, pounding (and rattling! )
Old 03-14-2006, 08:23 AM

yea, i hear yea brotha, do you get the ac effect? in other words does it move the hair on your arms?
Old 03-14-2006, 09:16 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Looks good but sony subs?
Old 03-14-2006, 09:41 AM

that guy is making a buttload of money off those boxes. how does it sound?
Old 03-14-2006, 09:45 AM

To get the setup you're looking for (and i'll be doing soon) as i was told by another Org member to use the "PAC AOEM NIS2", which will retain the stock setup and just be able to add your amp. Correct me if i'm wrong please.

If you're running a powerful amp/sub, i'd just make sure you're using the correct size power cable and fuse. If it's a high current amp, i'd definitely make sure your alternator, if stock, is capable of providing enough current... I've popped more than my fair share of alternators dropping my ohm load to an insanely lower number for more watts!

Hope this helps!

Old 03-14-2006, 09:49 AM

And no disrespect Majestic_Max, I went off on a tangent answering another question as I was planning on a similar setup, nice setup!

I say if the speakers, and even though they're Sony, work for your budget and sound good, you're good to go!
Old 03-14-2006, 11:38 AM

WOW!!!! I didnt know sony was that bad!!!
Ive never had a problem with them and they do rattle my teeth when im in the car.

Did i miss something??

I am in the process of upgrading the subs but not because they are sony's never thought they sucked.

But thanks for the coments.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:57 AM
1993 SE

Gotta luv all that trunk space!! Have you done any spirited driving with that box ? If not, I should warn you that I have the same box with L7's and the box would move all over the trunk under heavy driving, pulling out my remote wire every time. So you might wanna brace it. It didnt move until I put the subs in though. FYI. (looks good by the way)

Old 03-14-2006, 12:24 PM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by majestic_maxi
To get the setup you're looking for (and i'll be doing soon) as i was told by another Org member to use the "PAC AOEM NIS2", which will retain the stock setup and just be able to add your amp. Correct me if i'm wrong please. Hope this helps!

You don't need the PAC. Read the stickies.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:29 PM
*moderator*

yea, i hear yea brotha, do you get the ac effect? in other words does it move the hair on your arms?

Yes I do....love it!
Old 03-14-2006, 12:59 PM

Sony isn't really THAT bad IMHO, they just never established themselves as major player in car audio (speakers in particular), especially high end, other than their old skool Mobile ES Line (TRUE Mobile ES, not Xplode)

I'm no authority on car audio by any means, but i've been around it for a looong time and i tell ya what, i'd take Sony over QUITE a few other brands.

If it sounds good and you're happy with it, I think that's all that really matters!

WOW!!!! I didnt know sony was that bad!!!
Ive never had a problem with them and they do rattle my teeth when im in the car.

Did i miss something??

I am in the process of upgrading the subs but not because they are sony's never thought they sucked.

But thanks for the coments.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
You don't need the PAC. Read the stickies.
DJ,

I've now got mixed input from people as to the "proper way" to hook up an aftermarket amp/sub to our 6th gen setups (With Navi/XM). I looked carefully through the stickies in the this audio forum (hope i looked hard enough cause I'm sure I'll torn apart ), in particular, a post by 'Studman' , but even that sticky referred to the PAC OEM NIS2 kit, as to not kill the aftermarket amp because the voltage varies on the Bose setup.

Looking in the Specific 6th gen forum, the link in the sticky there references this thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....1+Bose+adaptor

Definitely not trying to contradict you and say you're wrong, but to clarify, you're simply stating you can ACCOMPLISH hooking up an aftermarket amp/sub without having to use the PAC adapter, you'd just have to splice the RCA's into the speaker leads.

There are quite a few other threads talking about signal loss and what not going that method (splicing), but for a clean straight forward setup, the PAC adapter would probably be the best method.. no?

Trust me, I'm all about aftermarket setups, but unfortunately with my 6th gen having the Navi, XM, etc... I'd rather not rip out the whole setup yet and just install amp and subs that are laying around for a little deeper low end.

Thanks again
Old 03-14-2006, 01:50 PM

Sony isn't really THAT bad IMHO, they just never established themselves as major player in car audio (speakers in particular), especially high end, other than their old skool Mobile ES Line (TRUE Mobile ES, not Xplode)

I'm no authority on car audio by any means, but i've been around it for a looong time and i tell ya what, i'd take Sony over QUITE a few other brands.

If it sounds good and you're happy with it, I think that's all that really matters!
Thanks,

Hey im also in the market for new subs, you have any suggestions??
Old 03-14-2006, 02:03 PM

Thanks,

Hey im also in the market for new subs, you have any suggestions??
I spose it all comes down to personal preference, but i like JL Audio.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:33 PM

Looks clean . But looking clean doesnt equate to good sound, nor make it a worthy addition.

What good is bass without a balanced fronstage? You guys really think that the Bose fronts sound good with these subs?

Also What good is bass if you got some nasty rattling and farting going on?
Did you take the effort to dampen your rear deck? Did you dampen your trunk lid?

I'm not ******* you guys at all ,nor saying you need some super system with high priced equipment. But if you are going to do something , educate yourselves and do it right. The Maxima is a nice car, particularly your 6th gens-i find it very classy. At least dampen the car and listen to clean bass.

Thowing subs in the trunk does not make a 'system'. Throwing any sub in any random box off ebay doesnt mean it will play to the best of its performance either-simply because they made a baffle cover to sit flush in your trunk.. A little attention to the specifics goes along way. Its not about the 'concept' of adding more what makes a system good, its the execution.

What sizes internally are these enclosures? Are you picking the subs based on optimal performance for this airspace?
Old 03-14-2006, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max
Looks clean . But looking clean doesnt equate to good sound, nor make it a worthy addition.

What good is bass without a balanced fronstage? You guys really think that the Bose fronts sound good with these subs?

Also What good is bass if you got some nasty rattling and farting going on?
Did you take the effort to dampen your rear deck? Did you dampen your trunk lid?

I'm not ******* you guys at all ,nor saying you need some super system with high priced equipment. But if you are going to do something , educate yourselves and do it right. The Maxima is a nice car, particularly your 6th gens-i find it very classy. At least dampen the car and listen to clean bass.

Thowing subs in the trunk does not make a 'system'. Throwing any sub in any random box off ebay doesnt mean it will play to the best of its performance either-simply because they made a baffle cover to sit flush in your trunk.. A little attention to the specifics goes along way. Its not about the 'concept' of adding more what makes a system good, its the execution.

What sizes internally are these enclosures? Are you picking the subs based on optimal performance for this airspace?
The stereo in my 6th gen (Bose) isn't that bad, but the it would be nice to have subs that hit a little lower. Trust me, i'd never attempt or suggest adding something like two 15's to this car without of course upgrading the mid/highs (major overkill IMO), but adding one or two 10's may compliment the stock system until you can upgrade the front's. Unless of course you're fortunate enough to be able to do it all at once

<BTW... nothing personal taken>
Old 03-14-2006, 06:38 PM
Suspension Yoda

DJ,

I've now got mixed input from people as to the "proper way" to hook up an aftermarket amp/sub to our 6th gen setups (With Navi/XM). I looked carefully through the stickies in the this audio forum (hope i looked hard enough cause I'm sure I'll torn apart ), in particular, a post by 'Studman' , but even that sticky referred to the PAC OEM NIS2 kit, as to not kill the aftermarket amp because the voltage varies on the Bose setup.

Looking in the Specific 6th gen forum, the link in the sticky there references this thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....1+Bose+adaptor

Definitely not trying to contradict you and say you're wrong, but to clarify, you're simply stating you can ACCOMPLISH hooking up an aftermarket amp/sub without having to use the PAC adapter, you'd just have to splice the RCA's into the speaker leads.

There are quite a few other threads talking about signal loss and what not going that method (splicing), but for a clean straight forward setup, the PAC adapter would probably be the best method.. no?

Trust me, I'm all about aftermarket setups, but unfortunately with my 6th gen having the Navi, XM, etc... I'd rather not rip out the whole setup yet and just install amp and subs that are laying around for a little deeper low end.

Thanks again
I'll agree with you. For straightforward no mess plug and play, PAC is the way to go. However, I really do not find a need for a PAC when all it really actually does is pass through the power, and splice in it's own RCA's...it's the same principle, and concept, and procedure, save the nice looking interface module, I suppose. As far as signal loss, I'd prefer to have LESS things spliced into my leads, whether they be power or signal.

And I'll be brutally honest. I plead ignorance when it comes to do with the varying voltages from Bose, I simply do not know enough about it to make a comment about it.

All I do know is that I've learned much of my knowledge from Don, and he typically splices RCA's, which just seems easier and cheaper to me, hence I adhere to the same procedure.

Good luck either way
Old 03-14-2006, 09:40 PM

just out of curiousity (and dont shoot me for this) but the PAC is not the same as the high low converter am i right? and if so were can i get the PAC.

and btw my old box and amp setup ( which hit really hard ) was an mtx 81000D 2 ohm 1000 watt 2 channel, and 2 fosgate power hx2's which were also 2 ohm...something tells me that be a little to much bass for the bose to give a nice clear high but correct me if im wrong.

Quick Reply: Finally Did Some Work In The Trunk!!