Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

specs of '97 Double-DIN CD/cass. receiver ??????

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2001, 07:59 PM

I want better sound from my speakers. Better bass mainly. I listen to a lot of classical music and the speakers aren't getting it. I have an MTX sub (max 250 watts RMS) powered by Kenwood 150 watt mono amp and it does fine on the lower end, but it tends to get kind of muddy on the higher end, you know, cello, bass, lower brass, etc. I have the CD/Cassette receiver. Sounds great with my other listening interests (jazz, hip-hop, r&b, rock, alternative) Someone gave me an intalldoctor.com link that showed installation instructions for either the CD or the cassette receiver, so let me make it clear I do not have either of those. I have the Double-DIN sized receiver. Anyhow, the speakers in my '97 SE are Panasonics and they have 15 watts printed on them. I'm guessing that's the nominal power handling capacity. That would mean that the receiver is only putting out that much or even less, wouldn't it? Would better speakers not really sound much better considering that they would be starving for power? The receiver can't be capable of putting out more than 15 watts if the fac speakers are 15 watt-ers, can it? How would the sound I have currently (assuming the sub was not there) compare with, say, four pioneer 5 1/4 2-25 watt RMS 2-ways? Would there be much difference? Or what if I bought those speakers and this AIWA Double DIN CD/Cassette receiver that puts out 22 watts per channel? How would that setup compare? Mainly my options hinge on what the power output of the factory double-DIN CD/Cassette receiver I have is. I suspect it could be 10 or something, in which, case I know the AIWA and four pioneers would sound way better. But I don't know, so somebody tell me!
Old 06-20-2001, 02:32 AM

Basically you're right there. The low output power from your stock deck is matched to your low power capability speakers. Both are rated at MAX watts not RMS though. You might notice a sonic improvement by changing to slightly better speakers, but it won't be a huge leap, however, with the stock amplfier and may actually sound worse. If you change to slightly better speakers they will probably sound better on an aftermarket deck or small apmlifier than teh stock speakers would. Note that even though the Aiwa deck say's it's 22Wpc that is also a MAX rated specification and it probably only delivers about 10-15 Wrms at 1% distortion, which is just slightly better than your stock system.

As for the InstallDoctor site, it's not exactly what you have but removal of the deck is mostly the same process and once you get to a pint where you notice the differences you should be able to figure the rest out.
Old 06-20-2001, 03:00 PM

Thanks for the info CanuckAMP. One other thing, though: The AIWA actually puts out 25 watts RMS and 45 watts peak per channel. In that case, do you think it would sound way better than the fac unit? I still would not be able to use the 15 watt fac panasonics with that AIWA receiver, would I? But the AIWA with four pioneer 5 1/4 2-25 watt RMS 2-ways would be a giant leap, wouldn't you say?
Old 06-20-2001, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by Minimalmaxima
Thanks for the info CanuckAMP. One other thing, though: The AIWA actually puts out 25 watts RMS and 45 watts peak per channel. In that case, do you think it would sound way better than the fac unit? I still would not be able to use the 15 watt fac panasonics with that AIWA receiver, would I? But the AIWA with four pioneer 5 1/4 2-25 watt RMS 2-ways would be a giant leap, wouldn't you say?
yes, getting the new head unit and speakers would make a BIG dif. get the new head unit, see how it sounds, replace speakers if you still think they need to be.
Old 06-20-2001, 09:58 PM

The Aiwa should still drive those speakers fine. Try it out and see. the worse thing that could happen is that you blow the cheap factory speakers.