Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Can I do this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 09:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Can I do this?

Hey guys I have an 2002 I35 and I heard that I could hook my aftermarket amp up to my bose system by tapping into the rear speaker outputs before they get to the bose amp. Supposedly I can hook those outputs directly up to RCA cables and plug them straight into my aftermarket amp because the signal coming from the headunit is not amplified until it goes through the bose amp.

I dont need superior sound quality so the pac unit isnt really needed because I plan to keep my stock speakers and head unit. And I dont want to use the hi-low converter hooked up to the inputs on the rear sub because supposedly the bose sub filters out frequencies below 40htz, plus a signal thats been amplified twice always sounds like crap.

So can this be done? Can I wire RCA jacks to the outputs on the back of the headunit and connect them directly to my amp?
Old 05-16-2006, 10:52 PM

Yes and Yes. Youll be just fine.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by kpr10is
Yes and Yes. Youll be just fine.
how will the signal quality be coming straight from the head unit and going directly into an aftermarket amp

I am also guessing that the bose amplifier has a processor in it that seperates out the lower tones and directs them to the bose sub (because there is no subwooferoutput from the headunit to the amp) , and once I get my aftermarket amp and sub hooked up I just clip the white and black wires going into the bose sub and it wont work any more but the system will still turn on right?

Am I missing anything? When I canibalize a spare RCA cable is the prong in the middle supposed to be the positive and the ring on the outside the negative?

Thanks
Old 05-17-2006, 08:03 AM
Suspension Yoda

It will only be as good as the Bose HU can put out.
You are correct about the crossover in the Bose amp.
Don't cut any wires, just unplug and remove the bose sub.

Middle pin on the RCA is positive, correct.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:21 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Yep middle is positive. Outside is ground.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:30 AM
Suspension Yoda

Actually from the research I've done, middle is a variable positive signal, not just a constant charge, and the outside is "shield" not technically a ground persay.

But for all intents and purposes, yea.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:03 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Lets not get too technical Mr.