Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Insurance help

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 08:34 PM

Insurance help

I'll try to make this short, but I need some advice in dealing with my insurance company.

My car was stolen from my house April 19th and recovered about a week later with the stereo gutted. The car has been at the body shop ever since. They were real slow to get the process started but they finally had a company called First Choice Solutions (HQ'd in Salt Lake) contact me that had me take the car to a place that doesn't install car stereos to take pictures. First Choice then offered an estimate that was 60% of my original invoice and only included standard labor. I then spoke with the insurance who claimed that the custom labor to put it back the way it was plus the body work would now cause the car to be totaled.

The insurance is USAA who claims that everything bolted to the car is covered without needing optional insurance. Besides general frustration, it upsets me the most that it's three weeks in and they're now talking about totaling the car after the body shop has almost finished all of the work. They're saying KBB is $12,400, the stereo replacement is around $6,000 and the bodywork is around $2,000. If they total the car and give me $12,400 I'm really getting screwed because technically the car once received from the bodyshop without the stereo will be $12,400 meaning they're not paying for the stereo at all.

What if the car wasn't driveable and I hadn't been able to get the stereo appraisal done? What should I do? Claim it under my homeowner's? I know this was rather long and there's some holes but it's about as general as I can get. Thanks for your insight.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by xtantmaxima
I'll try to make this short, but I need some advice in dealing with my insurance company.

My car was stolen from my house April 19th and recovered about a week later with the stereo gutted. The car has been at the body shop ever since. They were real slow to get the process started but they finally had a company called First Choice Solutions (HQ'd in Salt Lake) contact me that had me take the car to a place that doesn't install car stereos to take pictures. First Choice then offered an estimate that was 60% of my original invoice and only included standard labor. I then spoke with the insurance who claimed that the custom labor to put it back the way it was plus the body work would now cause the car to be totaled.

The insurance is USAA who claims that everything bolted to the car is covered without needing optional insurance. Besides general frustration, it upsets me the most that it's three weeks in and they're now talking about totaling the car after the body shop has almost finished all of the work. They're saying KBB is $12,400, the stereo replacement is around $6,000 and the bodywork is around $2,000. If they total the car and give me $12,400 I'm really getting screwed because technically the car once received from the bodyshop without the stereo will be $12,400 meaning they're not paying for the stereo at all.

What if the car wasn't driveable and I hadn't been able to get the stereo appraisal done? What should I do? Claim it under my homeowner's? I know this was rather long and there's some holes but it's about as general as I can get. Thanks for your insight.
Get a lawyer to help you negotiate with USSA!