Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

New HU, New Speakers, No sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 04:43 PM

New HU, New Speakers, No sound

I just installed a new Pioneer DEH 4600 HU and new speakers into my 3rd gen with Bose. For the front set I spliced the speaker wires and wired them directly to the new speaker, bypassing the amp. For the rear, I bypassed the Bose amp by wiring the speakers directly to the car speaker wires. When I did a resistance test on the rear speakers after doing this, I come out with one ohm (not good, my new speakers are 4 ohms)... When I turn on the HU I have full functionality with the HU and I can hear the antenna trying to go up (different issue) but I get no sound whatsoever (I put the volume low so I don't damage the speakers)... Two questions:

- Why am I not getting any sound?
- If I have bypassed the amps, why am I still measuring 1ohm at the speakers?
Old 06-11-2006, 05:42 PM

have you plugged in your antenna in? SOme stereos won't work without it plugged in.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:08 PM

Antenna is in. I used a diversity adapter and I can seek to most of the local stations (I'd probably get more if the motor actually moved the antenna, but thats another thing I need to work on).
Old 06-11-2006, 07:26 PM

Well, It sounds to me like its in your wiring, I would run new speaker wire to all your speakers and not use any of the factory wiring just to make sure you have correctly hooked them up. If you don't want to do that, just run a wire directly to the speakers just to test them out, if they work, you know its in your wiring somewhere down the line, and you can go from there. good luck
Old 06-12-2006, 03:06 AM

Yeah I was afraid you'd say that... I guess I'll have to wait til next weekend to do that.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:48 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

So you have the 4 speakers in? And you replaced the bose with some 4 ohm speakers corrrect? Then you just used the wrong wires to get the signal through. Switch them, play with a bit I'm sure you'll get it to work.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:48 PM

Yep, all four speakers are replaced with 4 ohm speakers. I'll play around with them today but if I can't get it then I'll run new wiring through on the weekend
Old 06-12-2006, 03:46 PM

Running new wiring isnt needed, although it might solve your problem in the end its just doing more work than is needed. You should be reading around 4 ohms when testing in the dash, and Ill bet that whatever is causing you to read 1 ohm is making the deck's amp cut out. For the rears wiring, you tapped into the factory speaker wire before the Bose amp, correct? Double check that the colors in the dash correspond to the ones going directly to each rear speaker, and test the impedance of the speakers when unplugged. If you get no clues by doing any of these...then run new speaker as a last option. Thats at least what Id do.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:36 PM

Just did some measuring at the dash... I used a harness to go from dash to deck... I get continuity from HU connector to harness and ~3ohms to the front speakers... I can even hear a little crackle so I know theres electricity flowing. To the rears, I get very little movement on my needle so between the dash and the trunk there's something wrong. I'm getting a little fed up with it so I might just take it in and have them install my 4-channel amp and RCAs... I was going to do it myself but I don't have very big windows of free time all at once... I was just gonna cheat and skip the amp but I'll just have it done. I hope my amp still works! Haven't used it in a while...
Old 06-13-2006, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Aggressor
Just did some measuring at the dash... I used a harness to go from dash to deck... I get continuity from HU connector to harness and ~3ohms to the front speakers... I can even hear a little crackle so I know theres electricity flowing. To the rears, I get very little movement on my needle so between the dash and the trunk there's something wrong. I'm getting a little fed up with it so I might just take it in and have them install my 4-channel amp and RCAs... I was going to do it myself but I don't have very big windows of free time all at once... I was just gonna cheat and skip the amp but I'll just have it done. I hope my amp still works! Haven't used it in a while...
well, I wouldn't mention that to whoever you have hooked up (about not knowing if the amp works or not), because they might say it doesn't work and will want you to buy a new one. Just take it to them and tell them to hook it up. As you can tell, I don't trust shops, thats why I do all my work myself.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:53 AM

Agreed, thats why I started the DIY route in the first place, but I just don't have the time right now