Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Plans: PS2 + 15"-17"(maybe bigger) LCD

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 02:41 PM

Plans: PS2 + 15"-17"(maybe bigger) LCD

Well, about two days ago I thought it would be crazy to have a PS2/Xbox in my car. So, I worked on it a bit, and I got the positioning of the systems, along with a power inverter(PS2 will be mounted under the drivers seat, xbox under the passengers, may be reversed if needed for room.). Then I thought about where to put the TV. I originally thought I might put around a 15 inch LCD computer monitor in the back of the drivers seat. Then, I thought about a flip down monitor, from the roof. I figured I could use the trim and other items from a sunroof to do a 'conversion', just without the window. So, with this I could have the TV up in the roof, flip down, and have the systems under the seat. I am going to probably go with a 15" or 17" computer monitor(could I go bigger?), with the adapted cables to work with the two systems. I need to get a thin monitor to fit up there. Oh, and the hardest part...I dont have a sunroof, I will have to install the 'lower half' of a sunroof to get this to fit. Anyway, let me know what you guys think of the idea, whether it would work or not, the feasability of it, etc...

Also, what would be the best way to go about wiring the power inverter? Ive got it under the drivers seat now. It goes into the cig lighter(I dont smoke, haha, only 16 and I wont ever), so I dont need it. I am thinking about going through the center console, past the shifter, and into the back of the cig lighter. Sound good?

I will take some pics if you guys are interested, but there isnt much to see, just a PS2 and a power inverter under a seat...Hehe.

Thanks! Comments please!
Old 11-08-2006, 02:43 PM

Pimp My Ride FTL...
Old 11-08-2006, 02:47 PM

man that is way to big to put on the back of your seat. If you must have a screen that big put it in the trunk. I would go with smaller screens inside the car.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by slickrick
Pimp My Ride FTL...
No, not what its meant to be, that is an insult to the max itself...I dont plan on riding dubs or chrome rims, nor do I plan on any flamboyant paint...I just think that it would be cool to have this in my car.

Now that I think about it, the max would be 17". If you have ever taken apart a monitor, most of its bulk is plastic and air. The actual components of it are very thin. 17" may just be to big for pratical sake. Just the cost involved in a nice think 17" is quite a bit. I am thinking 15, maybe 13 for the space and weight savings.

Oh, and +1 since I only weigh 110 lbs, I dont have a bass system, and I dont have anything else heavy in my car...this will only add about 20 lbs.