Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

good spots for mounting sub and amp

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 11:22 PM

good spots for mounting sub and amp

as it says in title
where are the good spots to mount the sub box and amps
ive seen some creative ppl and one guy who mounted his amp on the top part of the trunk
Old 12-03-2006, 12:10 PM
Suspension Yoda

See link in sig. It may give you some ideas. Back of the seat, under driver/passenger seat for amps...back of sub box also.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:23 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

I'd almost NEVER recommend mounting an amp to the back af an enclosure. Only because in the unfortunate event that someone decided that they need your equipment more than you do (read - steals), they pretty much have a "one-stop-shop" with the amp/sub, as opposed to pulling the box, and either hunting down the amp or taking the time to de-install the amp from a separate location.

Food for thought.... now do the dishes!
Old 12-04-2006, 01:36 PM

If you want to, you can mount it to bottom of the rear deck's frame. I've seen them mounted to the trunk lid also.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:34 PM
tastey wheat

look through the 'show us whats in your trunk' sticky.

pretty much comes down to:

under front seats
on sub box
on back of rear seats, vertically
just inside the trunk, left and right sides, vertically..
make an amp rack
Old 12-05-2006, 03:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would also not recommend mounting to a sub box/enclosure, but for different reasons. The vibrations from the box can damage the internal electronics on the amp over time, from what I've read. (ran across this in one of the faq sticky links)

Edit - found the link:
http://www.bcae1.com/amplfier.htm

Quote -
Amplifier mounting:
DO NOT mount an amplifier on your subwoofer box. I know that there has been a great deal of discussion over mounting an amplifier to an enclosure and many people do it all of the time with no problems but those people probably build good enclosures from 3/4" (or thicker) MDF with extensive bracing. Most people (especially young impatient people) are too lazy to do that and build unbraced enclosures from 5/8 MDF. These enclosures will flex considerably more than a proper enclosure and will likely cause amplifier failure if the amp is mounted to the enclosure.

REASON:
When the woofer(s) moves in or out, the box flexes and therefore causes the sides of the box to vibrate. This vibration is transferred to the amplifier mounted to the box. All of the electrical components in the amplifier have mass. Inertia (an object in motion tends to stay in motion, an object at rest tends to stay at rest) tells them to stay at rest, the box vibration is trying to make them move. The energy from the box's vibration is transferred to the components through the electrical leads which are soldered into the circuit board. All of this will cause the components to break loose and therefore cause the amplifier to fail prematurely. Basically, the amplifier will commit suicide! :-) I'm not telling you this because someone told me it was bad. I've been repairing amplifiers since ~1985. Virtually every amplifier that's come into my shop with parts rattling around inside them have been mounted on the speaker box. It causes the legs of the semiconductors to break (which causes amplifier failure). It causes the capacitors to break off of the board (which can cause catastrophic amplifier failure). It causes solder joints to break on the semiconductors mounted to the heat sink. It causes transformer windings to grind into one another (which causes lots of smoke to pour out of your amplifier). People who repeatedly tell others to mount their amps on the speaker box because they've never had a problem remind me of people who drink and drive and say there's nothing wrong with it because they've never crashed their vehicle. Eventually, in both cases, problems will arise.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:39 PM

Does anyone know where I can find some pictures of some stealth sub installations? I'd do a search but my privileges are unsufficient currently (Who's idea was that )

I used to have a WRX and I know a lot of people came up with creative ways of installing subs in the spare tire by molding some fiberglass. I'm not sure if I'm looking for that much work, but something in the same spirit of stealthiness
Old 12-07-2006, 02:12 PM

In my 96 I had my amps behind the back seat, on my 02 they are under the front seats.

Old 12-07-2006, 06:53 PM

headliner

Old 12-09-2006, 09:36 AM

/\ that's a cool picture