Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Increasing the thump/bass and BTW my first post in this section.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 02:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Increasing the thump/bass and BTW my first post in this section.

I want to preface by saying that I did check out the stickys and the FAQ but that is like readying Japanese. If you can take the time to answer a question I’d appreciate it. I own a 2002 max and the sound is stock. At this point I do not plan on changing the HU because I like having the steering controls and I haven’t found a HU that will not have an aftermarket look. I prefer the seamless look of stock at this time although if you have any suggestions on HU’s that look clean and flush with the rest of the dash then please let me know what they are.

Anyhow, my question is this: I need/want more bass than what a stock setup will offer. I do not want anything elaborate or special. I just want a nice thump. What I do not want is a large obtrusive box in my trunk. Also, in my last car my brother gave me a box with two 10’s that slid all over the place. It was annoying. I’d like for that to not happen.

I’ve read how most of you pro’s frown upon the quality of powered subs and I will take that advice. However what I do like about the powered sub is the compactness and the apparent ability to mount it to the side of the trunk.

What I’d love is to replace the Bose Sub which I believe is 10’’ with another, more power 10’’ sub and add an amp of about 200 watts. I’m not sure what I can expect as far as power goes on that setup but give me your thoughts. If this setup sounds insufficient then please offer your own opinions. The following is what I value:

* Nice quality sound/thump/bass
* Continued availability of trunk space (I use the fold down seats fairly often)
* Ideally not spending more than $300
Old 01-30-2007, 02:46 PM

bose is 8". you can get the adapter to run rca's back from the HU even with the stock, but plenty will warn you that the bose HU is the weakest link in the system, and I would recommend Nakamichi (sp?) decks for a stock look. you will not get any of these for under your 300 and still get a sub or amp but they are great HU's and available through don, i believe. if you keep the stock HU you can tap the wires going to the bose sub and run those to your new amp i think also, but someone with more knowledge on that subject could help you out there. as far as the sub goes, I would definately consider replacing the 8" bose with an ascendant audio assassin 8" (although these are not currently available because they are updating a new line) these are definately near the top of the list for 8" especially considering they are $50 before shipping. 200 watts would serve one of these well. a decent mono 200 watt amp shouldnt cost you more than 150 or so and after wiring and maybe some deadening for the rear deck you're set. that would be pretty good until you replace the deck
Old 01-30-2007, 02:47 PM
tastey wheat

deaden the rear deck, run an 8" or 10" Free air sub.. such as a DLS or ID.

If you buy some of the components used, you should be able to get away with it with that budget.

nismos14 will chime in soon with the 200 watt amp hes trying to sell soon im sure..

Pearl96Max has lots of goodies too.

Also, id highly suggest you change you HU asap (it's really not that bad looking), as many others will... it significantly cleans up the overall sound, and sends a much cleaner signal to the amp(s).
Old 01-30-2007, 04:37 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Good call mendon I do have an amp 200x1 rms bridged. $65 shipped check in the FS forums.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by mendon99
deaden the rear deck, run an 8" or 10" Free air sub..

Also, id highly suggest you change you HU asap (it's really not that bad looking), as many others will... it significantly cleans up the overall sound, and sends a much cleaner signal to the amp(s).
Excellent advice, do it right the first time.