Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Best Car Alarm / Remote Starter ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 10:13 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Best Car Alarm / Remote Starter ?

So Which car alarm is the best out there that also has 2-way and auto-starter. I need to get it in my new 04 fully loaded black on black maxima .
-Sal
Old 05-06-2007, 10:58 PM

contact pearl96max for a clifford matrix alarm...he's in Jersey.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:36 AM
IN IRAQ MAXIMA.ORG-ING :)

we should actually compile a list of good alarm systems/remote starters and sticky it if it hasn't been done yet... im actually looking around for a remote starter my self but i haven't been looking around too much just a sign of interest..
Old 05-07-2007, 03:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Summary of alarm sticky:

Anything made by Directed.
Contact Don (Pearl96Max) if you live anywhere near NJ.

=)
Old 05-07-2007, 04:13 PM
I C U

The one don sells with all that other stuff
/thread

Which by the way, I'll be bugging him for later in the summer
Old 05-07-2007, 07:20 PM

Damn, I guess I really need to speak to pearl then. I live in NJ. What is so special about it ? I was debating between a Viper or a Compustar. Yes there should be def. sticky on this forum for that.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:54 PM

reliability...and a lifetime warranty if you get it from the Don.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:00 PM
maxima985spd

Viper 5900

Old 05-07-2007, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Bollwerk
Summary of alarm sticky:

Anything made by Directed.
Big +1, and definitely no need for a sticky. DEI > all.

Originally Posted by maxima985spd
Viper 5900
= Python 990 = Clifford 50.5X
Old 05-08-2007, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by maximumpower96
Damn, I guess I really need to speak to pearl then. I live in NJ. What is so special about it ? I was debating between a Viper or a Compustar. Yes there should be def. sticky on this forum for that.
what's so special?

Don's group buy pricing of $419 includes the following

Clifford Matrix 3.5X 2way Responder Alarm/Remote Start
Window Roll down AND UP (on a 5.5 gen...might be the same for the 6th gen)
TRUNK RELEASE

Usually the alarm goes for 499 installed at the big box places I think....and you'd have to buy the modules to do the window roll down and up and the trunk release. Don has done so many of these maximas that he does w/o them. You would only need the window modules if you wanted the windows to roll up when you arm the alarm.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:03 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by burnurass
what's so special?

Don's group buy pricing of $419 includes the following

Clifford Matrix 3.5X 2way Responder Alarm/Remote Start
Window Roll down AND UP (on a 5.5 gen...might be the same for the 6th gen)
TRUNK RELEASE

Usually the alarm goes for 499 installed at the big box places I think....and you'd have to buy the modules to do the window roll down and up and the trunk release. Don has done so many of these maximas that he does w/o them. You would only need the window modules if you wanted the windows to roll up when you arm the alarm.
Nope, theyll roll up when arming now too.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
Nope, theyll roll up when arming now too.
really?? Can I get a recall on my install?
Old 05-08-2007, 07:48 AM

ummmm

hmmmm

uuhhhh

No !
Old 05-08-2007, 09:34 AM

ummmm

hmmmm

uuhhhh

No !
Pearl, how would you compare the cliford with the Compustar or the Viper ?
Old 05-08-2007, 10:12 AM

Pearl, how would you compare the cliford with the Compustar or the Viper ?

With the exception of G5 Clifford, Viper and Python are all the same. Some cosmetic differences aside they are the same.

The Compustars have come a ways since their debut about 7 yrs ago, but still decent performers. Although In my past experiences with them they are less than installer friendly. I may resume doing them again under their "Pro" name, but is still undetermined.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:37 AM
tastey wheat

yep, installer friendly means nothing to a consumer, but they still kinda suck to install.

also, theres major delays from when you press a button on their very bulky remote, to when the actual action happens (retarded).

Just get the Clifford.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:59 PM

With the exception of G5 Clifford, Viper and Python are all the same. Some cosmetic differences aside they are the same.

The Compustars have come a ways since their debut about 7 yrs ago, but still decent performers. Although In my past experiences with them they are less than installer friendly. I may resume doing them again under their "Pro" name, but is still undetermined.
I want to come to your shop and get it installed whenever its less busy for you. Let me know. Can you guide me in the right direction as I have no clue which one to get. I really wanted Compustar but there must be a reason, ever one is Voting for a DEI product. I want whatver the top of the line you have seems like 70.5x. What is the difference between a 70.5x and a 50.5x ? I most likely would want in my 2001 BMW 740i as well as my 04 Maxima. Can you do a better price for 2 cars ?
Old 05-08-2007, 08:22 PM
I R The Law

The best car alarm/remote starter is my "Trunk Monkey"
Old 05-08-2007, 08:24 PM

I want to come to your shop and get it installed whenever its less busy for you. Let me know. Can you guide me in the right direction as I have no clue which one to get. I really wanted Compustar but there must be a reason, ever one is Voting for a DEI product. I want whatver the top of the line you have seems like 70.5x. What is the difference between a 70.5x and a 50.5x ? I most likely would want in my 2001 BMW 740i as well as my 04 Maxima. Can you do a better price for 2 cars ?

70.5 is not better actually, its just glamorized by the color screen. The current highest Matrix model is the 50.5. Unless your looking into G5 units which will cost more and not offer two-way.

I can cut a break on two cars, but that 740 is gonna cost ya either way.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:46 PM

70.5 is not better actually, its just glamorized by the color screen. The current highest Matrix model is the 50.5. Unless your looking into G5 units which will cost more and not offer two-way.

I can cut a break on two cars, but that 740 is gonna cost ya either way.
What is going to cost me ? You can either talk to me here or call me on 347 242 0028. Thank you.
-Sal
Old 05-08-2007, 08:49 PM

The BMW is going to be a bit more than the Maxima. Its alot more work and modules.

Probably better off giving me a call..

732-572-1969 Ill be the first to admit Im not the greatest at making calls..
Old 05-08-2007, 09:29 PM

I have a Viper 7900 which is equivalent to any of the highest end Directed models available. It has the color LCD screen. Avoid the LCD remotes with the color screen. They have a rechargable battery, but it requires recharging way too often. There is no benefit to having a color LCD screen. It may seem cool, but once you have had one for a while, you realize it's a waste. Also, the one mile range is a joke. I am lucky to get 2-way 100 yard range with this thing. I think alarms by "Directed" are good, but don't waste your money on their highest models.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by jeslopez
I have a Viper 7900 which is equivalent to any of the highest end Directed models available. It has the color LCD screen. Avoid the LCD remotes with the color screen. They have a rechargable battery, but it requires recharging way too often. There is no benefit to having a color LCD screen. It may seem cool, but once you have had one for a while, you realize it's a waste. Also, the one mile range is a joke. I am lucky to get 2-way 100 yard range with this thing. I think alarms by "Directed" are good, but don't waste your money on their highest models.
The 7900, iirc, isnt SST, which means it doesnt claim 1 mile range that the Viper 5900/Clifford 50.5X/Python990 do. The SST models range is much improved.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:56 PM

Don,

My understanding is that you are only working with Clifford line of products, is this correct?

If so, which 2-way model (preferrably with SST) do you recommend NOT necessarily with remote start BUT with perimeter sensors? I replaced shock sensors with perimeter sensors in my last car (it only had few input channels and I had to give up shock for perimeter) but I am guessing these newer models can handle multiple inputs, is that correct?

I am thinking about installing 2 perimeter sensors for accuracy, UNLESS you tell me the newer sensors can properly cover the whole car.

So basically I want a good 2-way (SST) and Perimeter sensors (1 sensor if you recommend that) and windows roll-up if possible in a 5th Gen.

Let me know what you suggest and cost involved and also if you work saturdays and how far in advance I'd need to reserve a spot with you.

Thanks in advance.

BB
Old 05-10-2007, 07:24 PM

I've been in the industry for quite some time and currently work for Firstech/Compustar. I know we definately dont have the longevity of DEI and have only been around since 1998 (First 2-Way LCD SHF-2WR) I understand about being less installer friendly with different color wires, larger control module and what not. All I knew about was DEI, Clifford, before they were bought out, etc.. before I worked for them. However there are a few features I dont see from other brands such as a universal Control Module system, you can upgrade systems in a matter of minutes, remote paging sensor, and up to 6000 feet of range.
The Pro series is definitely our most advanced Alarm/Starter we've developed and that I've seen. To address most concerns about the current 2WSSR and the "delay," this has most certainly been resolved with the Pro2WSSR which should be release later this summer. Another addition is our new Remote Paging Sensor. You can program a 4 digit code and can unlock/disarm your system through the Remote Paging Sensor. So if anyone has any questions about Compustar products please let me know.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bborges
Don,

My understanding is that you are only working with Clifford line of products, is this correct?

If so, which 2-way model (preferrably with SST) do you recommend NOT necessarily with remote start BUT with perimeter sensors? I replaced shock sensors with perimeter sensors in my last car (it only had few input channels and I had to give up shock for perimeter) but I am guessing these newer models can handle multiple inputs, is that correct?

I am thinking about installing 2 perimeter sensors for accuracy, UNLESS you tell me the newer sensors can properly cover the whole car.

So basically I want a good 2-way (SST) and Perimeter sensors (1 sensor if you recommend that) and windows roll-up if possible in a 5th Gen.

Let me know what you suggest and cost involved and also if you work saturdays and how far in advance I'd need to reserve a spot with you.

Thanks in advance.

BB
There are a few different products available that will do what your looking for. As for the windows a module really isnt needed unless your attemtping to do all four windows, then two modules will be needed.

May be a bit easier to just give me a call to discuss. 732-572-1969
Old 05-10-2007, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by robrie
I've been in the industry for quite some time and currently work for Firstech/Compustar. I know we definately dont have the longevity of DEI and have only been around since 1998 (First 2-Way LCD SHF-2WR) I understand about being less installer friendly with different color wires, larger control module and what not. All I knew about was DEI, Clifford, before they were bought out, etc.. before I worked for them. However there are a few features I dont see from other brands such as a universal Control Module system, you can upgrade systems in a matter of minutes, remote paging sensor, and up to 6000 feet of range.
The Pro series is definitely our most advanced Alarm/Starter we've developed and that I've seen. To address most concerns about the current 2WSSR and the "delay," this has most certainly been resolved with the Pro2WSSR which should be release later this summer. Another addition is our new Remote Paging Sensor. You can program a 4 digit code and can unlock/disarm your system through the Remote Paging Sensor. So if anyone has any questions about Compustar products please let me know.
What Exactly is your position at Compustar? Mind speaking a bit more in depth via phone? Contact extension?

Katey/Katie (not sure on spelling) was helpful and I missed Jason while he was here, but I would like more input on the technical aspect.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:25 PM

Im in the tech department, my name is Bert. I wouldnt mind speaking via phone, just ask for me when you call next.

Its spelled Katie if youre curious
Old 05-10-2007, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by robrie
Im in the tech department, my name is Bert. I wouldnt mind speaking via phone, just ask for me when you call next.

Its spelled Katie if youre curious
Will do, Ill try sometime tomorrow afternoon.

Im curious, but not so much about the spelling.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:52 PM

haha, i gotcha. shes definately not a dissappointment to the eyes....
Old 05-10-2007, 08:56 PM

Go into work, snap a pic and email it to me. You will then be my best friend.

Im sure she'll know who I am if you tell her, I kept her on the phone for a bit and we had some faxing fun....
Old 05-10-2007, 09:08 PM

i'll work on that
Old 05-11-2007, 04:23 AM

There are a few different products available that will do what your looking for. As for the windows a module really isnt needed unless your attemtping to do all four windows, then two modules will be needed.

May be a bit easier to just give me a call to discuss. 732-572-1969

Sorry to interrupt the Match.com session... but I wanted to know if this is your cell ir a shop number? I called u around 5:30 but no answer.

What is the best time to call?

Later
Old 05-11-2007, 04:42 AM
tastey wheat

robrie, have you ever had any complaints about the remote paging system going off randomly (by itself) on the 2W900FMR system? This happens to my fiance's ALL the time.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:59 AM

What does it do when it goes off, does it play bingo? or just false?
Old 05-11-2007, 11:41 AM
tastey wheat

hrmmm.. cant remember. next time it happens ill let you know. if i recall correctly, it just rings like a phone, but no one is out there.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:14 PM

If it rings like a phone its probably the RPS sensor falsing, you can either turn it off by holding buttons II + III for 2 seconds and then tapping III (the phone icon will disappear) or having the place where it was installed swap it out.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:16 PM
tastey wheat

well i installed it at my shop, we order them up from a distributor. I guess ill just turn it off, i probably wont bother replacing it..

thanks for you help
Old 05-11-2007, 11:24 PM

Yeah not a problem at all, sometimes it also falses depending on where its mounted. sometimes the small curve of the windshield doesn't allow it to sit properly. When theres the temperature change at night, from warm to cold, that small shift causes a ping and the RPS falses. We fixed this with the Pro series, you now have to knock twice instead of once to page the remote.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:59 AM
tastey wheat

interesting, it may be off a hair, ill relocate it. thanks !

Quick Reply: Best Car Alarm / Remote Starter ?