Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

hooking a direct connect up for sirius?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 07:55 PM

hooking a direct connect up for sirius?

I just got a sirius radio and being the transmitter in it sucks, im looking to to the wired direct connect setup that hooks into the factory antennae port, anyone have experience with this, cause i understand that certain cars need a plug to accomodate this. Being that the max doesnt have a actual antennae besides a diversity antennae..any probs??? thanks in advance
Old 05-25-2007, 08:36 PM

Thanks to the FCC, Sirius had to reduce the power of their FM transmitters quite a bit, which makes them pretty crappy unless you're in a rural area.

I have a Sportster 4, using the FM Direct adapter with Nissan Diversity cables. Sounds much better than without the adapter, but FM quality at best. Power is connected to an extra cig lighter tucked behind the radio.

You can get the direct adapter for $20, and the diversity cable adapters for another $20.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:00 AM

i wish i would have done my research a lil more on satelite radio, they call it plug and play but you basically have to go out and buy the direct connect if u want it to sound nearly as good as fm, i have found a few good frequencies, but they dont play as loud as regular fm radio which also pisses me off, hopefully if they merge things get better..thanks for the help
Old 05-26-2007, 12:20 PM

What model do you have? Some have a built in volume control which could help...
Old 05-26-2007, 01:11 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Call Siriusw, let them know about your problem. They will send you the FM Modulator (hardwire) at no cost along with a Installcard to get it done at your closest participating Installernet dealer. Free product, free labor. I get these at least 3 times a week...
Old 05-27-2007, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
Call Siriusw, let them know about your problem. They will send you the FM Modulator (hardwire) at no cost along with a Installcard to get it done at your closest participating Installernet dealer. Free product, free labor. I get these at least 3 times a week...

just tried that after reading ur post, i stayed calm and cool and told the woman my problem, at 1st she suggested that i go purchase it myself, i said the box says "plug and play" that should mean no additional parts right? so then she said they would pay for the hardwire mod. but to my understanding i need a antenna adapter which circuit city quoted me 40.00 on top of the mod. she didnt offer to pay for that or any install, so i told her i was gonna cancel..and she just said is there anything else i can do..i told her take it to the store for me ..what a joke
Old 05-27-2007, 06:52 PM

The hardwire and the antenna piece that you need are one in the same. Ill see if I can get the P/N somewhere, but thats exactly what you need. I do these regularly and thats what all the customers are telling me Sirius did for them. Some had a harder time than others, but eventually got it done.

Tell them a few local shops want to charge $65+ for it and see if it helps. Also keep trying to get a different person if the first one doesnt work.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:15 AM

well they are sending me a install card after being persistent and talking to everyone that works for sirius practically, my question is circuit city told me that i need additional adapters for the diversity antennae, cause my understanding is some cars such as the gm's need a adapter to work with the modulator..next prob is cc and bestbuy both said over the phone they dont accept those cards, they said they have no deals with sirius besides the mail in rebates, so sirius tells me that once i get the card i have to call the # on the back and look for a installer that does, but they also cant tell me if the antennae adapter is included in that install card(that is if i really need it???)
Old 05-28-2007, 11:00 AM

Thats correct, youll have to choose from a list of authroized dealers that accept the install card. I know one in edison too.

The antenna adaptor is not included, but when the dealer (whichever you choose) does the job they can call in for supplemental expenses. If you get a d1ck participant dealer they will try to sell it to you directly and pocket the extra money where installcard will actually pay for it to the dealer. Still no out of pocket for you...
Old 05-29-2007, 03:06 AM

Thats correct, youll have to choose from a list of authroized dealers that accept the install card. I know one in edison too.

The antenna adaptor is not included, but when the dealer (whichever you choose) does the job they can call in for supplemental expenses. If you get a d1ck participant dealer they will try to sell it to you directly and pocket the extra money where installcard will actually pay for it to the dealer. Still no out of pocket for you...
well edison is about a hour from here, but if all else fails ill be up there
Old 08-30-2007, 08:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can anyone help? I have a 2000 maxima and I'm trying to hardwire it in but I can't find the correct wires to splice it into(the constant and switched wires) does anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My boss was having problems with sirius in his 300zx and we called sirius and they sent us a new radio along with this hardwire kit and it really didnt help all the much.....
Old 08-30-2007, 10:55 AM

It doesnt always solve the problem, but it is the culprit 99% of the time.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by trans-am nut
Can anyone help? I have a 2000 maxima and I'm trying to hardwire it in but I can't find the correct wires to splice it into(the constant and switched wires) does anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram?
did you get your sirius installed because I just ordered one and need to know as well