Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

how's Diamond Audio and MB Quart Speakers???

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2001, 08:07 AM

I looking for a new set of speakers for my MAX. any feedback on thses speakers???

What other good speakers for max (around $400)??
Old 07-16-2001, 08:14 AM
Disco Biscuit

I would recommend Focal, Diamond, and CDT. I don't care for MB's. If you don't mind buying used, for that price you can find Dynaudio MK240 two way setups, which are fantastic.
Old 07-16-2001, 08:16 AM

diamond audio speakers are the top of the food chain...
Old 07-16-2001, 10:11 AM
Disco Biscuit

What food chain are you eating from? Focal, Dynaudio, and Rainbow's Reference line are the top of the food chain. Diamonds and CDT are at the Jackel level of the food chain.
Old 07-16-2001, 01:17 PM

pleasee...
Old 07-16-2001, 03:35 PM

I prefer mb quarts a little less cash and they have a great sound
Old 07-16-2001, 06:47 PM

gimme a break, Boston Acoustic Pro Series $hit on Focal, Dynaudio and Rainbow? speakers. Bostons will run you around $600+ for a set of 6.5 seperates and wil take any power you give them. I install nothing but Boston all day long at the audio shop i work at and they work great with ANY brand amp as long as it has some *****!! so........BUY BOSTON- Pro!!!!
Old 07-16-2001, 09:14 PM
Disco Biscuit

Originally posted by ny96maxse
gimme a break, Boston Acoustic Pro Series $hit on Focal, Dynaudio and Rainbow? speakers. Bostons will run you around $600+ for a set of 6.5 seperates and wil take any power you give them. I install nothing but Boston all day long at the audio shop i work at and they work great with ANY brand amp as long as it has some *****!! so........BUY BOSTON- Pro!!!!
Well, I can see that you have absolutely no knowlege of car OR home audio. Boston Pro only wish they were as good as Focal and Dyns. And you've not heard of Rainbow? Their reference series 2 way is $8k. I'm not saying Boston are bad. I think they're as good as Diamond and CDT, but come on. And you're an installer? Where at Best Buy?
Old 07-16-2001, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by Whitemax

And you're an installer? Where at Best Buy?
HAHAHA!!!
anyways, why would you mention $8,000.00 speakers?
diamonds are kick *** speakers and don't hate on every other speaker out there because you were sold on one brand.....
also please don't talk bad about ny96maxse or wicked will get mad......
Old 07-16-2001, 10:00 PM
Disco Biscuit

Who's hatten'? I'm not. I've said that all brands mentioned are great speakers. But it seems other are. And I'm sorry if I came across harsh in my last comment, but with a comment like "gimme a break, Boston Acoustic Pro Series $hit on Focal, Dynaudio and Rainbow? speakers." what do you expect? I never said that Diamond, CDT, Boston were $hit. I recommend all of them quite a bit. But they are not at the top of the food chain so to speak. The High end models are Focal, Dynaudio, and the newer brand Rainbow. That's not putting down the other brands mentioned. It's like saying that Maxima's are at the top of the food chain. They aren't. They're a great car. I love mine. But it doesn't mean that they are the top of their class. I consider Focal and Dyn as the BMW and Mercedes, where Diamond, MB, CDT, and Boston are the Maxima. And the comment he basicly made was " Maxima's $hit on The 330 and E420" It came across as an uneducated comment that a person made with experience with only one brand, not having a knowlege of anything else out there. Again, I'm sorry if I came across wrong in my last post.
Old 07-17-2001, 03:40 AM

Focal, Dynaudio
notice how this guy tends to put "focal" before "Dynaudio"?? i think it's tryign to say something. .hahaha. j/p i must say, mb quarts, bostons, are great speakers, for consumer use, but for competition quality, i must say, FOCALS and dynaudio are very well known for clarity, i'm not too familiar with Rainbow though, and illusion doesn't sound too bad to me either. it also matters which line of products from each brand you compare the speakers with, because if lets say you want to compare the poly kevlar focal components to the dynaudio, then dynaudio might be better than the focals. it also depends on what type of speakers you prefer, some prefer horns, some prefer the sound of soft dome tweeters, some prefer the sound of aluminum cone subwoofers, some prefer teh sound of carbon fiber cone subwoofers, i prefer what i got, but u might not like waht i got, and i might not like what you got, as long as you're happy about what u have then i'm happy for you too, and it dont' matter what brand is better than which if you dont' have niether.. i'm not some installer at some crazy stereo shop. but i have enough experience in this field to safely say, that facal utopias, and dynaudio 360 are better than mb quarts pro or q series and bostons in terms of clarity. but they do require high output amps to drive them. but u get what u pay for, that's how things tend to work. i do installs at shops as favors, just not on payroll, i do tend to open my own shop, and i welcome any of you to poke around, or purchase things from me, but til then, all i'm offering is my opinion on shtuff.
Old 07-17-2001, 06:07 AM
Disco Biscuit

Hehe, I'm just tryng to make you feel better with your choice in speakers
Old 07-17-2001, 08:58 AM

buy radio shack....
Old 07-17-2001, 09:20 AM
Disco Biscuit

That reminds me. Did anyone know that alot of RS's Opimus brand is rebadged Pioneer? I even have an Opimus pasive sub for the house that has a pioneer driver in it.
Old 07-17-2001, 12:40 PM

your music preference...

I've heard most of the speakers you guys are talking about, but they're all good at producing different types of music.
For example, the diamonds and MB quarts tend to give that bright accoustic sound, and dynas, focals, and boston's have pretty hard hitting midbass...although I've never had the opportunity to listen to rainbows. I say, go listen to them and choose. I like them all...For $400 you can purchase nice mids...
Good luck
Old 07-18-2001, 02:56 PM
OG and counting...

....and a/d/s goes largely ignored.
Old 07-18-2001, 03:41 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Diamonds would definately be the choice. Or for a little bit less look at the Boston Acoustics PRO 65's for $400.00
Old 07-19-2001, 07:04 AM

Thanks for the advice!

I actually brought the dimond 650s Hex compoent set and it sound very good.

Now, the only thing I am worry about is the rear deck speakers. Should I keep the factory speakers or get a new set for the rear. What kind of speakers is good for rear??

Oh..I had the sony xploder 75 x 4 channal AMP.
Old 07-19-2001, 10:16 AM

Re: Thanks for the advice!

Originally posted by Nightkidz
I actually brought the dimond 650s Hex compoent set and it sound very good.

Now, the only thing I am worry about is the rear deck speakers. Should I keep the factory speakers or get a new set for the rear. What kind of speakers is good for rear??

Oh..I had the sony xploder 75 x 4 channal AMP.
nice choice, i'd go with another diamond speaker for the rear deck... you can hook it up to the crossover you have now.. dimond made thier systems like that...
Old 07-20-2001, 12:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by PrinzII
....and a/d/s goes largely ignored.
Finally!!! Someone acknowledged my speakers

A/D/S is right up there with Focal, Dynayudio, but not Rainbow. A/D/S is EXTREMELY! underrated.

Can't you tell I'm a proud owner of a 336im set
Old 07-20-2001, 02:48 PM

Personally, i'd have chosen MB Q or Focal, I'm sure Diamond Audio is great, but Focal and MB Q are awesome!
Old 07-20-2001, 06:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by mingo

i must say, mb quarts, bostons, are great speakers, for consumer use, but for competition quality, i must say, FOCALS and dynaudio are very well known for clarity

Do you have any idea how many systems with MB Quarts have won IASCA competitions and received excellent reviews from magazines (like CSR's Sound Check)? Thousands.
Old 07-21-2001, 12:39 AM

Originally posted by Micah95GLE

Do you have any idea how many systems with MB Quarts have won IASCA competitions and received excellent reviews from magazines (like CSR's Sound Check)? Thousands.
yes i am aware that many competitors have won iasca competitions using mb quarts compenents. However, i'm just saying dynaudio, focal utopia line are still amoungst one of the higher end competition grade speakers. i'm not at all saying mbquart or boston is junk, just saying that they are in different tiers.
Old 07-22-2001, 12:46 PM

I have had Hex components by Diamond in every vehicle I have ever owned. If I have the extra cash laying around, I absolutely refuse to buy anything different.
Old 07-22-2001, 02:26 PM
Disco Biscuit

Originally posted by mingo

yes i am aware that many competitors have won iasca competitions using mb quarts compenents. However, i'm just saying dynaudio, focal utopia line are still amoungst one of the higher end competition grade speakers. i'm not at all saying mbquart or boston is junk, just saying that they are in different tiers.
Thank you And I strongly feel that the only reason that more people haven't won with Dyns or Focal is because you cant just run down to most car stereo shops and buy them. In most states there will only be 1 or 2 shops total that carry them. Almost every town has one place or another that sells MB Quart. But again, I've not been knocking MBs or Diamonds or Boston. Having heard all of them, all things being equal, I would stil have to tip my hat to Focal and Dyns, if only in some cases by a small margin. And I've not recommended A\D\S only because I've not had the opportunity to listen to them.
Old 07-22-2001, 08:28 PM
jmax

All good, just a few definitely sound better than others!

Hey Jon, ever get the MD 140's installed? I still want to hear how that system sounds with a 600 Hz crossover point. There was a good point above about difficulty finding a place to listen to the best speakers. I have only found one place that has a/d/s on a board and the shop didn't have the board set up correctly, so they sounded like crap. Boston makes decent speakers but the current pro series dies in the upper midrange. No female vocals or ripping guitar. The MB Q series does a little bit better job but it could all be in the crossover. The Focal and Dynaudio speakers are definitely better than either. And I have never heard a bad comment about the DA's in my car. 2 pair DA 500 HEX, 2 Pair DA 600 HEX, 1 pair silk tweets, 1 pair DA 8.6 HEX. All actively crossed over. But I can't compare this system to store systems because the crossover and gains are all set by ear - my ear. I can honestly say I have never heard a better use of 600 watts for front stage - but I have never heard another system with this much power for the front stage.

Old 07-22-2001, 08:33 PM
Disco Biscuit

Re: All good, just a few definitely sound better than others!

God I still want a pair, and since I finally got a job Thursday(!!) and I start tommorrow, hopefully I can get a pair one of these days. What I'd like to do is to get the new TubeDriver Blue, and feed it to the 140's and tweets, take the 2 existing Tubes, and feed them on to the 2 woofers, and feed another amp (Thinking ESX)to the Sub, at around 500 watts. we'll see.
Old 07-22-2001, 08:50 PM
jmax

Sounds like a plan. I've been too busy working and vacationing to do much with my car this summer. But I have to start working on it again to be sure it's done before the temp drops again. I initially was just test fitting the eight's in the rear doors and then I got lazy and never completed the full install. I'm surprised they haven't fallen out. Good thing they are high passed at 60 Hz.

Old 07-22-2001, 09:07 PM
Disco Biscuit

Ya, it's been to friggen hot here in Tampa to do much. I finally built a pair of fiberglass pods to replace the stock mounts this weekend, and I have the driver's side done, and just have to do one more thing to the passenger side one and it will be compleate. They sound great though. They've been the best baffles I've built yet, so they'll be keepers.
Old 08-01-2001, 11:13 AM

Well, I can see that you have absolutely no knowlege of car OR home audio. Boston Pro only wish they were as good as Focal and Dyns. And you've not heard of Rainbow? Their reference series 2 way is $8k. I'm not saying Boston are bad. I think they're as good as Diamond and CDT, but come on. And you're an installer? Where at Best Buy?
I believe he was talking about $400. Not 8 Gs. I love Diamond Audio and a/d/s. I have heard Bostons and love them as well, especially the subs. I'm not familiar with Reference. I like Focal and Dyns as well. People tend to use what they are familiar with and swear off everything else.
Old 08-01-2001, 03:22 PM
Disco Biscuit

Originally posted by C-Dawg

I believe he was talking about $400. Not 8 Gs. I love Diamond Audio and a/d/s. I have heard Bostons and love them as well, especially the subs. I'm not familiar with Reference. I like Focal and Dyns as well. People tend to use what they are familiar with and swear off everything else.
Wel, if he was talking about speakers only in the $400 range, then he shouldnt have made a comment including Focal and Dynaudio, as both are well above the $400 mark.....
Old 08-02-2001, 05:16 AM

Wel, if he was talking about speakers only in the $400 range, then he shouldnt have made a comment including Focal and Dynaudio, as both are well above the $400 mark.....
Don't shoot the messenger.