Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

What to get first???

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 04:34 AM
Beast Mode!!!

What to get first???

I have a '99 SE w/the non-Bose double-DIN. It sounds ALRIGHT... I mainly listen to talk radio and my Ipod through the cassette deck.

I wanna get a sub+amp and change the interior speakers + amp them out, but I'm not sure what to get first. The bass from the back 6.5s are pretty nice for 15W speakers, and the speakers in front aren't too bad either... so I'm thinking, if I get better speakers like Daytons and amp them all out, I won't need a sub. But then I think, the inside speakers are fine, so if I just throw a sub in I won't really need to upgrade...

I listen to a wide range of music mainly ranging from punk to disco to hip hop... I need accuracy over all out output so I'm gonna go w/a sealed box for the sub. Anyways, what should I get? Interior speakers or the sub? I'm gonna keep the stock HU.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:09 AM

Depends....

Your least expensive to do first would probably be 6.5's up front and amp them. Then purchase a sub and amp. If you think the stock mids sound okay, get the sub and amp first and see how that sounds. It's really your own preference. Honestly though, you would probably need to switch your stock HU before anything.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:32 AM
Beast Mode!!!

Originally Posted by jrpaytonAlpha06
Depends....

Your least expensive to do first would probably be 6.5's up front and amp them. Then purchase a sub and amp. If you think the stock mids sound okay, get the sub and amp first and see how that sounds. It's really your own preference. Honestly though, you would probably need to switch your stock HU before anything.
Well I've had some decent setups in the past... in one of my cars I just had 7" components in front and 6x9s lowpassed at about 70Hz through a little Kicker 4ch and I was happy. As far as the H/U the stock setup is alright with me, I just use it to listen to my IPod... a lot of the music I have in it is at ~128Kb/s anyways so I don't really need super high quality. I wish I could connect it to the CD changer line though...

I think I'm just gonna get the sub/amp and go from there.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:12 PM

sub and amp are probably going to drowned out your factory speakers. might want to consider doing a decent set of interiors prior to the bass, or just wait a little longer and do it all in one shot, then you'll also onlt have to take the car apart once for wiring the amps.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:43 PM

I say get some new components up front first. The stock ones are a joke and a good set will sound great you'd love it. The stock deck has acceptable power to hold you over for a while IMO.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:46 PM

IMO start with the HU then move on to other things
Old 08-05-2007, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by nick_auto96
IMO start with the HU then move on to other things
That wouldn't give him any reasonable sound improvement though because the stock speakers are so bad... Between the deck and the speakers sound-wise the speakers are the weakest link, change them first for immediate sound improvement.