Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

antenna/head unit questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 11:53 PM
Vil

antenna/head unit questions

Lately the stock system on my 98 max has been very staticy and I have no cd player so I'm looking at improving that. Circuit city/best buy told me its about 80$ in maintanence to put in a dash kit/go around the bose speakers... am i being scammed? For a head unit I'm leaning towards a pioneer as I've had good experiences iwith their products. For a 100-150$ range (could possibly go over if im not getting jacked on misc fees if its worth it) does anyone have any other recommendations? As for my antenna it has some trouble going all the way up, i tried some dw40 and that seemed to help for a bit but now its back to having to manually pull it up. A buddy mentioned getting a mercedez benz antenna, one of the ones that go on the roof.. is this a good idea at all?

Thanks for the info
Old 08-17-2007, 03:49 PM
tastey wheat

if thats what CC/BB is asking for the install labor for a cd player, then they're asking too much. unless they're including the kit/harness.. then its about average. If its just labor though, go somewhere else.

As for your antenna, dump the motorized one, unless you wanna pay some slightly big bucks for a damn motor and extendable metal rod, only for it to fail again a year or so from now - Do yourself a favor and replace it with a straight rod non motorized, much cheaper and works just as well, possibly better. Forget about the euro-antenna..

for the 100-150 range, low end eclipse, or really just stick to the good companies - eclipse, pioneer, alpine, etc and you'll be fine.