Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Sub options in 5th gen

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2001, 09:16 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Sub options in 5th gen

I have the stock non-BOSE system without subwoofer. What options do I have with installing a sub in the BOSE location? What size can I go up to? Will I need to cut or drill anything or is everything there and ready? Thanks in advance!
Old 10-14-2001, 06:14 PM
tbmax

Re: Sub options in 5th gen

Hi I just wanted to share some problems I ran/am running into with my 5th gen Max. In short the rear deck rattles and buzzes like crazy! I am pushing 2 Orion pro12s with 700+ watts rms. Under the rear deck is sheet metal that seems to resonate every bass frequency. I took off the rear deck(to do so you have to take the rear pillars, the child seat anchors, the black plastic retaining sheets behind the seat and some snaps)this takes some time to do right so give yourself an afternoon to get it done. I used some pro dampening material( 4 sq. ft. so far) and have noticed a significant improvement. Let me know if you have any questions. Later
Kevin

Old 10-14-2001, 08:19 PM

Re: Re: Sub options in 5th gen

Originally posted by tbmax
Hi I just wanted to share some problems I ran/am running into with my 5th gen Max. In short the rear deck rattles and buzzes like crazy! I am pushing 2 Orion pro12s with 700+ watts rms. Under the rear deck is sheet metal that seems to resonate every bass frequency. I took off the rear deck(to do so you have to take the rear pillars, the child seat anchors, the black plastic retaining sheets behind the seat and some snaps)this takes some time to do right so give yourself an afternoon to get it done. I used some pro dampening material( 4 sq. ft. so far) and have noticed a significant improvement. Let me know if you have any questions. Later
Kevin
That rattiling was probley mostly coming from the child anchors...thats the way it was in mine...we just took um off and all was fine.
Options are amost limitless you could do a free air app with a sub that like that setup or a small 8" sub in the factory area with a small box or an ap setup...If you wanna keep alot of room check out the illsusion subs the 8" I believe is less than an inch deep.
Old 10-15-2001, 06:34 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Sub options in 5th gen

Originally posted by max'n out

That rattiling was probley mostly coming from the child anchors...thats the way it was in mine...we just took um off and all was fine.
Options are amost limitless you could do a free air app with a sub that like that setup or a small 8" sub in the factory area with a small box or an ap setup...If you wanna keep alot of room check out the illsusion subs the 8" I believe is less than an inch deep.
So is an 8" sub the largest that can fit in the factory BOSE sub location in the rear deck? I'd like to get a 10" or larger in the car but conserve as much space as possible.....Guess I might be stuck with an enclosure of modest size....
Old 10-15-2001, 12:28 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sub options in 5th gen

Originally posted by srbarnes4ever

So is an 8" sub the largest that can fit in the factory BOSE sub location in the rear deck? I'd like to get a 10" or larger in the car but conserve as much space as possible.....Guess I might be stuck with an enclosure of modest size....
Without modifing things yeah only an 8 will fit...with minor mods a 10 would fit. If you get crazy you could do 3 10"s It just depends how much work you wanna do.