Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Need advise- Two 8" or one 10"

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 09:45 PM

Need advise- Two 8" or one 10"

Was just wondering if anyone has any experience with the 8" 8w7 subs. I was thinking of putting two of them in the back of my car. Or should I just go with one 10" 10w7?

btw i spelled advice wrong in the title, sorry a'bout that
Old 10-09-2007, 09:48 PM

Why just one? Go 3 10"s if your amp can handle it.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by honor_your_life
Why just one? Go 3 10"s if your amp can handle it.
3, 10w7's in the back of a max is a little too much for me.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:02 PM

one 10W7 is enough imo. went to a local SQ meet and this one fella was running a single 10W7 fed off a 500/1 in a ported box. it got pretty loud and complimented his DLS front stage pretty nicely.

it's all in the install. the box can make or break the sub's performance.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
one 10W7 is enough imo. went to a local SQ meet and this one fella was running a single 10W7 fed off a 500/1 in a ported box. it got pretty loud and complimented his DLS front stage pretty nicely.

it's all in the install. the box can make or break the sub's performance.
so ported is the way to go? I was aiming more for sealed performance. I have been out of the game for a bit. I am making decisions right now for what to get for my maxima setup, I have already picked out the alpine w205 as my receiver for sure. I have my two amps also picked out. I will be using a JL 500/1 for the sub or subs either two 8w7/s or one 10w7. Not sure on the boxes or enclosures yet either, thats why I am asking opinions. As for the speaker amp, I will get the JL 450/4 but have not picked out the components or coaxials yet. I am leaning towards trying the Polk SR6500 components. I was thinking about the jl zr-650 csi also. not sure. Are the DLS nobelium any good? Thanks for the help!
Old 10-09-2007, 11:49 PM

sealed is fine, but you'll lose a bit of output. go sealed if you want the best response form your sub.

i assume the nobeliums are nice, i only got to hear the reference line in that dude's car.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
sealed is fine, but you'll lose a bit of output. go sealed if you want the best response form your sub.

i assume the nobeliums are nice, i only got to hear the reference line in that dude's car.
i think i will try 2 8w7's in a sealed enclosure. If I do not like it, I will try something else.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:56 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

2 8w7's IB.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:51 PM

^ says the man that's went back to sealed.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

dont bother with the w7's unless you can get an amp to power them its pointless if your only gonna get a jl 500.1. Get a w6v2, or a jl w3v3 if your gonna have only a 500/1
Old 10-11-2007, 12:00 AM

the W7s can get sh*t loud off of a 500/1. heard this dude's two 10W7's powered off a single 500/1 in an accord at the meet. output was rediculous for 500 watts.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by DcMaN
dont bother with the w7's unless you can get an amp to power them its pointless if your only gonna get a jl 500.1. Get a w6v2, or a jl w3v3 if your gonna have only a 500/1
hmmmm im gonna have to disagree........

a 10w7 or 12w7 will be fine on a 500/1, although it can take more power, itll be more than enough for most people, especially if they dont have the money or electrical system for a 1000/1
Old 10-13-2007, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by adampit
hmmmm im gonna have to disagree........

a 10w7 or 12w7 will be fine on a 500/1, although it can take more power, itll be more than enough for most people, especially if they dont have the money or electrical system for a 1000/1
a maxima does not have an electrical system for a 1000/1. and no need for such bass and weight.

btw 2 8w7/s are a perfect match to the 500/1. will post results when installed.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:14 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Oh man... you again. Wonderful jibberish. Do you even know what you're talking about? There are people running more than a 1000/1 in their car on stock electrical.

Originally Posted by AlpineGt66
a maxima does not have an electrical system for a 1000/1. and no need for such bass and weight.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by nismos14
Oh man... you again. Wonderful jibberish. Do you even know what you're talking about? There are people running more than a 1000/1 in their car on stock electrical.
yeah, thats the people that keep posting, oh man why is my car dead? my alternator fried? my lights dim like a....

I have a stock alternator, and a stock battery. I bet you can add a 1000/1 with upgrading the battery to an optima or an audio battery, or put another spare audio battery somewhere and throw it into the circuit. maybe add a cap. ( I will not use a cap)

Anyone can put anything into their car, they can throw five 1000/1's into the setup, but we will see what happens. I just gave info on my setup and my opinion. and dude if you got nothing good to say then go post elsewhere. those comments are unnecessary

Last edited by AlpineGt66; 10-14-2007 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:25 AM

Hmmm.... im going to have to disagree with you. At one point i had a 1000/1 and a 300/2 running at the same time on STOCK electrical.

Then when i upgraded amps drastically, i upgraded my electrical system completely.

and "no need for such bass and weight" does not compute in my book. Thanks for the advice tho....
Old 10-17-2007, 12:09 PM

I would opt for a single 10, unless there is an amplifier issue where you want to wire a pair of 8's for a certain impedance load. One 10 is as small I will go. It can be a challenge to get enough out of a single 10, but if done correct it is the best for space savings and SQ IMO.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:13 PM
SuPeRmOd

I have both

the 2 stock 8" aren't quite enough. So I added a 10".

go with the 10
Old 10-17-2007, 11:16 PM
SuPeRmOd

cool kids rock bandpass boxes

Last edited by NismoMax80; 10-17-2007 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:59 PM

i have a sundown sae-1000d and an fi q running off stock electrical for about a month now and i've been fine
Old 10-19-2007, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
I have both

the 2 stock 8" aren't quite enough. So I added a 10".

go with the 10
Ok, Ok news flash! I changed up my system a little bit, I just did a truck for my friend with an Alpine W205, and MB Quarts Pce 216 speakers and a 300/2 amp. Sounds good, and I liked the Alpine unit. I personally however was going to go that route and Buy some MB Quarts Q series which are well respected. Anyway long story short, and a lot of reading done with, I have been studying audio setups till 3am for the past week. And here is what I have come up with. The stuff I already bought is the new Sony XAV-W1 which I thought was better than the Alpine W205 which has a smaller screen, and lower voltage pre outs and other minor things like that. What really got me was the video specs on this thing and the sound specs are not bad as well, with having a 7 band eq that goes active which is cool. I know some of you might not agree with me on the head unit choice, but I think it should get the job done!. Also the "cool" factor of having a mini sony tv in my car. lol. Anyway the components are bought as well, and I went about twice if not three times over my budget on those. They are the well heard of Polk SR6500. I have not read one bad review of them. Not one. Well maybe one, but then later he corrected the tweeter position and changed his opinion on them. SO I have plunked down and got myself some for the front and rear. I will not be using the tweeter or crossover in the rear. Just the 6.5 Woofer for rear fill. Call me crazy but I just had to have these bad boys in all the factory holes that I can fill them with. I was thinking of a custom kick panel in the front with a three stage then decided against it and just bought these. Not sure where I will mount the tweets in the front yet though. Anyway I will continue, Sorry if I wrote a book here, but I hope this will be useful to some. I will be powering them with a JL 450/4. As for the subs, here is the deal I bought two 8"s and will be putting them in a sealed box. Being powered by a JL 500/1. Then I went ahead and bought a JL 10w7 in the JL HO box. So I have this crazy idea to mount 2 sealed 8"s and one ported 10". You guys tell me if I am out of my mind or not. I have not bought another amp for that yet and will first play around with both of them, then I might upgrade to a JL 1000/1 for all three(if that is possible yet not sure), or buy another 500/1. As for dynomating which I will be doing all next week, I bought B_Quiet Extreme, and Dynomat Extreme. I will use both and compare the two. I hope to cover the roof, floor, trunk, and all the doors. Maybe two layers, if the panels snap back in place ok. As for wiring I will be using a 0 gauge kicker kit, and the use distribution blocks near the amp to 4ga. The rca's are monster xln, 4 channel and 2 channel, The
speaker wires are 16ga monster xln wires. Bought an Ipod adapter for the head unit as well. As for right now I am waiting to rip the car apart as to dynomat it, pics to come! I have a quick question does it matter if I mount the Sr6500 crossovers in the trunk, or should they be closer to the speakers and tweets? Also I was thinking of getting a custom sealed inclosure on the side to hold a 12" alpine X or Polk SR. Then decided against it until I heard what I have bought so far. Having 2 sealed 8's, 1 ported 10", and 1 sealed 12" might be too much. but we will see. I am just going to be playing around and see what happens. Sorry if my grammar is off it's late at night and I am done typing. Thanks for reading I guess.

P>S First I will be putting some H&R springs on tomorrow morning.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:06 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Ok, Ok news flash! I changed up my system a little bit, I just did a truck for my friend with an Alpine W205, and MB Quarts Pce 216 speakers and a 300/2 amp. Sounds good, and I liked the Alpine unit. I personally however was going to go that route and Buy some MB Quarts Q series which are well respected. Anyway long story short, and a lot of reading done with, I have been studying audio setups till 3am for the past week. And here is what I have come up with. The stuff I already bought is the new Sony XAV-W1 which I thought was better than the Alpine W205 which has a smaller screen, and lower voltage pre outs and other minor things like that. What really got me was the video specs on this thing and the sound specs are not bad as well, with having a 7 band eq that goes active which is cool. I know some of you might not agree with me on the head unit choice, but I think it should get the job done!. Also the "cool" factor of having a mini sony tv in my car. lol. Anyway the components are bought as well, and I went about twice if not three times over my budget on those. They are the well heard of Polk SR6500. I have not read one bad review of them. Not one. Well maybe one, but then later he corrected the tweeter position and changed his opinion on them. SO I have plunked down and got myself some for the front and rear. I will not be using the tweeter or crossover in the rear. Just the 6.5 Woofer for rear fill. Call me crazy but I just had to have these bad boys in all the factory holes that I can fill them with. I was thinking of a custom kick panel in the front with a three stage then decided against it and just bought these. Not sure where I will mount the tweets in the front yet though. Anyway I will continue, Sorry if I wrote a book here, but I hope this will be useful to some. I will be powering them with a JL 450/4. As for the subs, here is the deal I bought two 8"s and will be putting them in a sealed box. Being powered by a JL 500/1. Then I went ahead and bought a JL 10w7 in the JL HO box. So I have this crazy idea to mount 2 sealed 8"s and one ported 10". You guys tell me if I am out of my mind or not. I have not bought another amp for that yet and will first play around with both of them, then I might upgrade to a JL 1000/1 for all three(if that is possible yet not sure), or buy another 500/1. As for dynomating which I will be doing all next week, I bought B_Quiet Extreme, and Dynomat Extreme. I will use both and compare the two. I hope to cover the roof, floor, trunk, and all the doors. Maybe two layers, if the panels snap back in place ok. As for wiring I will be using a 0 gauge kicker kit, and the use distribution blocks near the amp to 4ga. The rca's are monster xln, 4 channel and 2 channel, The
speaker wires are 16ga monster xln wires. Bought an Ipod adapter for the head unit as well. As for right now I am waiting to rip the car apart as to dynomat it, pics to come! I have a quick question does it matter if I mount the Sr6500 crossovers in the trunk, or should they be closer to the speakers and tweets? Also I was thinking of getting a custom sealed inclosure on the side to hold a 12" alpine X or Polk SR. Then decided against it until I heard what I have bought so far. Having 2 sealed 8's, 1 ported 10", and 1 sealed 12" might be too much. but we will see. I am just going to be playing around and see what happens. Sorry if my grammar is off it's late at night and I am done typing. Thanks for reading I guess.

P>S First I will be putting some H&R springs on tomorrow morning.
Your out of your mind.

BTW .. Please use paragraphs.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
Your out of your mind.

BTW .. Please use paragraphs.
thanks don, i was wanting to hear that. I said sorry about the grammar.

btw, can any of you guys answer my question though? Do the crossovers for the components have to be close to the speakers or not? I was wanting to put them in the trunk.

Last edited by AlpineGt66; 10-21-2007 at 06:18 PM.