Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

XM or Satellite Radio worth the $$$?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 05:30 PM

XM or Satellite Radio worth the $$$?

This weekend I was looking at XM & Satellite radio for my maxima but, before I buy I would like for people who have it to give me some PRO's & CON's about it? Also tell me if its worth a monthly bill?
Old 02-17-2008, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Maximan34
This weekend I was looking at XM & Satellite radio for my maxima but, before I buy I would like for people who have it to give me some PRO's & CON's about it? Also tell me if its worth a monthly bill?
Pros: The good channels don't have commercials, Decent sound quality with a good unit (especially a pioneer unit that carries a pure digital signal all the way up to a pioneer headunit via a IP-Bus cable), same radio stations anywhere in the country, no $@(*^#$ talk shows on your favorite rock channel for 4 hours in the morning on your way to work, I no longer carry CD's in my car, selection selection selection, no more need for the old metal antenna...I have the power to mine disconnected , and many many more

Cons: It costs money

Is it worth 12.95 a month to me? YES!!

Free three months and free activation on website, use promo code: XMSCION03
(3 months free / waived activation fee.)
Used it about a week ago on a radio I had canceled a few months ago to get it back.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:47 PM

Awesome man! I do have a Pioneer CD player with XM option and I wouldn't have anything else than a Premier! Thanks for the info.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:10 PM
Difficult is NOT impossible!

I have Sirius and I can't even listen to the normal radio anymore.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:12 PM

If you like to be entertained (ie you like a variety of less commercialized, b-side music in any genre you want, or non censored talk) satellite radio is the only way to go.

I bought the Sirius lifetime subscription almost 2 1/2 years ago and have never regretted it one moment. Back then, the lifetime was $499 - pays for itself in 39 months - but it has since been reduced to $399. Plus, with the lifetime sub, you can add unlimited radios at half price - $6.95/month.

Once most people hear satellite radio, they find old fashioned (terrestrial) radio unlistenable.

I started with a Sirius S50, but have since upgraded to the SL100 and more recently the Stiletto S2. All of the high end Sirius plug-and-play receivers can be used portably, in your car, or in your house (with a home dock). I use a car dock in my 95 Max (installed on the passenger side of the console towards the front of the shifter) and play through a cassette adapter. Most newer cars that don't have cassette players (like my daughters 07 Quest) have aux input jacks that are as easy to hook up to and sound as clean as the cassette interface.

Also, if you are a Stern fan, Sirius is the ONLY way to go.

The high end Sirius receivers are very high tech and DO tend to be a tad buggy, however. Therefore, I highly recommend buying from a big box store (BB or CC) WITH the extended warranty. That way, if your receiver goes south - as the Stilettos are prone to do - you just return it and walk out with a new one.

Last edited by nafddur; 02-17-2008 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

<--- Sirius

Ch. 124 is all I listen to though.

$150/year maybe a waste for some ppl especially since I only listen to 1 channel but I'm a junky...

(Maybe once every 3 months I'll scan the other channels).
Old 02-17-2008, 09:20 PM
Hammy

XM all the way. and it's free for me.
The dude that hooked up my alarm owns a shop and gave me one of the radios that XM gives them and it's activated for life. Once he gets a new demos in he'll give me the next better one. I can hook someone up with an Audiovox Xpress if the price is right, activated for life.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Ham1987
XM all the way. and it's free for me.
Like most things in life - you get what you pay for (No Stern on XM!)
Old 02-18-2008, 09:07 AM

I got Sirius. For $12.95/ mo and a good receiver i.e. stilleto you can record and rewind live programming. Not to mention ever having to lose a signal when traveling. They'll be merging soon with so just get a cheap sirius reveiver and when the merger goes thru all prices will likely drop.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:34 AM
bald aggression est 78

i'd wait till the merger,sometime in the near future then you'd get the best of both worlds me preferably would chose XM cause of opie and anthony ch202
Old 02-18-2008, 10:40 AM

Awesome. Then I'll just wait since they are going to merge. Cuz I like music, sports, and certain talk shows from hearing my friends.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:58 PM

Of the two, I chose XM for better sound quality. Your ears may tell you differently though.
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com...adio-comp4.htm
Old 02-18-2008, 05:05 PM

I listen to the VQ30 channel for $3.03 per gallon

Old 02-18-2008, 06:51 PM
Hammy

^^^ LMAO!

Old 02-19-2008, 12:50 PM
on this site too damn much

Sirius cause of Stern... I haven't been listening to it for the past week cause I'm waiting for my tape adaptor to come in. Regular radio is horrible! So is Opie and Anthony though.... Definitely go Sirius.

If XM and Sirius dont' merge, I'd say XM will go under. Sirius has more subscribers / day by far and are pretty much equal if not more in total subscribers (have been around a few years less). Whenever I go to Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart, etc. There's hardly any Sirius radios on the shelf but XM is stocked completely. Why? Nobody's buying them anymore.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:27 PM

I've had Sirius for about 3 years. I forgot how bad regular radio was until I had a rental car for a week recently...I would definitely say the $12.95 a month is worth it.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by nearthisbridge
I've had Sirius for about 3 years. I forgot how bad regular radio was until I had a rental car for a week recently...I would definitely say the $12.95 a month is worth it.
I mentioned this earlier in this thread, but the Sirius lifetime subscription that was originally $499 has been reduced to $399. That way you pay for your service once up front, and never pay again. Also, the lifetime sub allows you to add receivers (I'm not sure how many, but it could be unlimited) at $6.95/month each.

A warning, however - the lifetime sub is for your RECEIVER. Sirius allows you to transfer to a different (ie new) receiver up to three times, with a $75 fee each time.

Warranty transfers - of which personally I've had 6, including four S50's, two Stiletto 100's, and finally an S2 - do not count towards the 3, $75 transfers.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:43 PM

.... 4th gen tech?

Sirius FTMFW. Have had it for 3 years now. Made the move from XM because Sirius had better rock channels IMO.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:12 AM

Hell yeah. Thanks for the info guys. I'll definately hit up sirius for the rock! I'm just wanting to hear different bands that I haven't hear yet and I heard they do that on Sat. Radio. Thanks again for the info everyone
Old 02-20-2008, 06:02 AM

Is it possible to just get the receiver? My radio has the receiver built into it with the input on the back so I can just plug it in. I don't want to have two seperate controls.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by coachholland
Is it possible to just get the receiver? My radio has the receiver built into it with the input on the back so I can just plug it in. I don't want to have two seperate controls.
I'm not sure about Sirius, but with XM, you typically need to get 2 things if your head unit is "XM-ready".
1) XM tuner
2) Interface that goes between the XM tuner and your head unit.

For example, I have the Terk XMDALP100 (Alpine adapter) and the Terk XMD1000 (universal tuner). They were both about $50 each.

I have noticed recently that XM seems to be moving away from this setup though in favor of a minituner that people can use in both home and car.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:04 PM
on this site too damn much

You don't need the lifetime account to have extra accounts for only $6.95 a month... I'm under my bro's account and only pay $6.95 a month. And I've changed my radio 3 times and have never had to pay and money to do so. $82 a year is a damn good deal to me, especially since regular radio plays the same crappy 10 pop songs over and over again all day every day.

Originally Posted by nafddur
I mentioned this earlier in this thread, but the Sirius lifetime subscription that was originally $499 has been reduced to $399. That way you pay for your service once up front, and never pay again. Also, the lifetime sub allows you to add receivers (I'm not sure how many, but it could be unlimited) at $6.95/month each.

A warning, however - the lifetime sub is for your RECEIVER. Sirius allows you to transfer to a different (ie new) receiver up to three times, with a $75 fee each time.

Warranty transfers - of which personally I've had 6, including four S50's, two Stiletto 100's, and finally an S2 - do not count towards the 3, $75 transfers.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:16 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Do you have cable at home? Do you pay for it? Why? Television is free. Same concept.

XM here .. in all my vehicles/shop and portable. Of course all are free, but Id gladly pay for it if I had to.

Reception ... XM > Sirius all day long.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Maximan34
I have had Sirius radio for almost a year and I absolutely love it. I can travel anywhere and I have a decent radio to listen too. I get all the football games and Nascar races so when I travel on a Sunday, I can still listen to all the games. I also love Playboy radio. some interesting shows...
Old 02-25-2008, 10:40 AM

My only gripe about satellite radio is that it seems Terk makes all (or nearly all) adapters and tuners for the car. I would prefer a choice of manufacturers / options. I suppose I only care now because of the recent problems I've been having with the XMDAPL100 pass through AINET cable. (volume randomly goes up and down by itself for my ipod and xm radio, but not my CD/DVD sound, which uses the optical output, and Alpine tech support has said this is a relatively common problem with the Terk AI-NET pass-thru cable)
Old 04-08-2008, 02:09 PM

Sirius is far better in my opinion
Old 04-08-2008, 08:26 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max

Reception ... XM > Sirius all day long.
Think the reception of Sirius will be comparable to XM if they merge?
Old 04-09-2008, 01:35 PM

I have lifetime Sirius... have not regretted it....

I mostly listen to Howard Stern, but i sometimes put the music stations on, and there is a huge variety of just about any type of music and it isnt like normal radio.. not the same songs over and over everyday..

I also have sirius internet account so i can listen online in my room
Old 04-09-2008, 01:53 PM

Had it an it was AMAZING
two complaints, the antenna scratched my trunk lid and the signel is VERY weak when you have any tree cover. On the regular streets i would loose reception. in the end if i had more time in my car i would have it again.
I also had a direct connect so controls were in my radio, thats the way to do it
Old 04-10-2008, 06:14 AM
tastey wheat

Originally Posted by Lumberg™
...If XM and Sirius dont' merge, I'd say XM will go under. Sirius has more subscribers / day by far and are pretty much equal if not more in total subscribers (have been around a few years less)...
Wrong... XM has more than 2.5 million more subscribers than sirius to date.

Sattelite radio is completely worth the money, but Id suggest you buy a year or so worth of it at a time, you'll save money as it's cheaper than on a monthly basis. Im partial to Sirius because I enjoy the rock they play more than Sirius, but the SQ of Xm is a little bit better.

And they are definately going to merge, its just a matter of time now..
Old 04-11-2008, 12:47 PM

Im my opinion an mp3 player is much more usefull then XM or Sirius but if you are going to get one get Sirius it will prob be another year before they come out with a hybrid unit that will work with both XM and Sirius. Sirius is better though because they have 3 satellites compared to XM's 1 in the sky. This means a better signal escpecialy when going up hills and around bends. We have Serius at work and Ive got to say I hear the same songs all the time on it. It can get annoying considering I could have an mp3 player playing with over 160gb worth of music. So think about that before you buy.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:06 PM

It's definitely worth it. I started loving sirius because I was working at Enterprise rent-a-car and all the dodges and jeeps came with sirius satellite and always listened to octane. So I went and just paid the $140 or w/e it was for a years subscription and never looked back. Can't even listen to regular radio anymore.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by KJS2023
Im my opinion an mp3 player is much more usefull then XM or Sirius but if you are going to get one get Sirius it will prob be another year before they come out with a hybrid unit that will work with both XM and Sirius. Sirius is better though because they have 3 satellites compared to XM's 1 in the sky. This means a better signal escpecialy when going up hills and around bends. We have Serius at work and Ive got to say I hear the same songs all the time on it. It can get annoying considering I could have an mp3 player playing with over 160gb worth of music. So think about that before you buy.
I think you have it the other way around. XM is the one with 3 satellites and Sirius is the one with crappier reception.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:52 AM

Sirius has 3 I know that.... I do sell their stuff. Of course we can all speculate on what will happen to the whole merger thing but we wont know until it happens. Because of that I think its more worth while to by an mp3 player and then when the time comes to switch to satelite radio you still have an mp3 player to show for it instead of a old radio that can only get half the channels on it.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:42 PM
tastey wheat

they both have 3. I wish you people would stop pretending to know wtf you're talking about, and stop talking out of your @ss to the rest of us.

and KJS2023, just because you have 160 GB worth of music doesnt mean that anyone else feels like loading an mp3 player with that much. Beyond that, sat radio has current news, sports and nearly anything you could possibly feel like listening to any time. Can your mp3 player do that? Apples and oranges. If you want to compare it to something, compare it to FM/AM, which it absolutely destroys.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:26 PM

Sirius is worth every penny to me. I got into my wife's car yesterday that has terrestrial radio and I about went crazy. Nothing but commercials and the same old crap they were playing 2 years ago when I got Sirius.

I look at it this way. I do all my own computer and most of my own car repair. This saves me a lot of money each year and therefore frees that money up for luxuries such as sat. radio.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:23 PM

So my new Max 06 that I am getting in a couple days has a 'SAT' button. Does that mean it will allow me to buy a unit and hook it up and see the text on the screen? Or does that mean it already has it ready to go?
Old 11-01-2008, 05:35 PM

i have sirius and i like if you call and threaten to cancel for what ever reason they will cutt your sub price in half or give it too free for the next three months i do it all the time. but XM and Sirirus are merging so you should be able to best of both worlds
Old 11-02-2008, 05:49 AM
Banned

yes it is. hands down better. i love my sirius. oh and XM sucks.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Torgus
yes it is. hands down better. i love my sirius. oh and XM sucks.
How does XM suck? What didn't you like about it?

Quick Reply: XM or Satellite Radio worth the $$$?