Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2001, 06:07 PM

Speakers

Will 6 1/2 inch speakers fit the doors of my 89' SE? If not which sizes fit?
Old 10-29-2001, 07:19 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Re: Speakers

Originally posted by phat89max
5X7's fit my 94 se front door!!!!!!
Old 11-02-2001, 12:48 AM

Re: Speakers

Yup 6.5" speakers will fit. You will probably have to remove the speaker mounting bracket and use a flat piece of 1/2" or 3/4" MDF or plywood as a mounting plate. I fit 8" speakers in the doors of my 89 SE but had to build a modified plate to mount them on....
Old 11-02-2001, 04:51 AM

Re: Re: Speakers

Originally posted by CanuckAMP

Yup 6.5" speakers will fit. You will probably have to remove the speaker mounting bracket and use a flat piece of 1/2" or 3/4" MDF or plywood as a mounting plate. I fit 8" speakers in the doors of my 89 SE but had to build a modified plate to mount them on....
Are you using the stock speaker cover? because that's what I want to do.
Old 11-02-2001, 01:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: Speakers

Are you using the stock speaker cover? because that's what I want to do.
Yes I still have the stock door panel and speaker grille installed. When you remove the stock speaker brackets you still have 2 inches of room between the newly installed speaker on a mounting plate and the door panel mounted speaker grille. Since I made a custom angled baffle my speakers are only about 1/4" - 1/2" behind the stock panel.
Old 11-05-2001, 05:34 AM

thanks
Old 11-07-2001, 09:46 AM

Re: Re: Speakers

Your 8-inch mid woofer looks suspiciously like a Dynaudio. Am I right??? And if so you're really making me re-think my decision of installing mine into my 2K1 SE. After all the work I did installing my Dynaudio 3-way set into my '97 Exlorer I learned one thing: too much work considering I always end up buying a new car every few years. I don't want to think about it, but I may not be happy with anything else...

Tony
Old 11-07-2001, 09:55 AM
Disco Biscuit

God I love Dyns. I'll never be able to use anything else... Sorry just thought I'd through that in. Yup he has Dyns as well...
Old 11-07-2001, 09:55 AM

Re: Re: Re: Speakers

Originally posted by Tony Fernandes

Your 8-inch mid woofer looks suspiciously like a Dynaudio. Am I right??? And if so you're really making me re-think my decision of installing mine into my 2K1 SE. After all the work I did installing my Dynaudio 3-way set into my '97 Exlorer I learned one thing: too much work considering I always end up buying a new car every few years. I don't want to think about it, but I may not be happy with anything else...

Tony
Yup that's a Dynaudio MW170 midbass in there. I must say though the results of the effort are simply amazing. I've never had BUF like this before. This midbass simply rocks....

Alas I will probably have to take it all out in the spring as the Max is rusting away on me...unless I decide to get some body work done and dress the car up a little....now that really seems like an efort not very worthwhile considering the car's age....
Old 11-07-2001, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by Whitemax
God I love Dyns. I'll never be able to use anything else... Sorry just thought I'd through that in. Yup he has Dyns as well...
I know how you feel. These speakers make me want to upgrade my home audio setup to some nice Dynaudio towers, or at least something using Dynaudio drivers like Totem Loudspeakers, PMC etc...
Old 11-07-2001, 10:16 AM

I know how you feel. These speakers make me want to upgrade my home audio setup to some nice Dynaudio towers, or at least something using Dynaudio drivers like Totem Loudspeakers, PMC etc...

Okay...now that I've found some fellow Dyn lovers I have to share my disapointment with the Bose system in the Max (which is a very good system as far as stock goes). I just traded my Explorer in on the Max and (of course) kept all my stereo equipment!

My '97 Explorer:

Dyn 360 set in the front doors and Q-Logic kick panels
8-inch mid-woofers, 3-inch mids, 1-inch tweeters
Lots and lots and lots of sound deadening in the front doors.

Nakamichi CD-700 in dash

Phoenix Gold ZX475ti and ZX450 actively powering the Dyns
The other half of the ZX450 powering a JL Audio 10" Stealthbox in back.

I have to tell you it sounded subperb.

I don't know how much of this I'll be able to re-create in my Max, but I'm gonna try.

Tony
Old 11-07-2001, 11:30 AM

Okay...now that I've found some fellow Dyn lovers I have to share my disapointment with the Bose system in the Max (which is a very good system as far as stock goes). I just traded my Explorer in on the Max and (of course) kept all my stereo equipment!

My '97 Explorer:

Nakamichi CD-700 in dash

I don't know how much of this I'll be able to re-create in my Max, but I'm gonna try.

Tony
Hehe go for it man. Seriously they are the best car audio speakers I've ever heard. You have a since complement of headunit and amplifiers there as well...I'd kill for a Nak CD-700 alas I have to settle with my Denon for now.....
Old 11-07-2001, 11:52 AM
Disco Biscuit

Ya, I'm planning on getting Dyns for the house as well.......
Old 11-07-2001, 11:55 AM
Disco Biscuit

My '97 Explorer:

Nakamichi CD-700 in dash

Tony
Well, as long as you have an automatic, you should be able to recreate it well. I have my stealthbox, and it matches the Dyns quite well. The 8" fits well in the door, and as long as you dont have a clutch pedal, theres plenty of room for a custom kick panel for the mid and tweet......