Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Upgrading Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 12:43 AM

Upgrading Speakers

I'm thinking about upgrading my speakers from the stock Bose ones. I don't think they are bad, but the bass from my subs is kind of drowning them out. My current system is stock Bose speakers, Alpine CDA-9883 HU (50W x 4 peak), 2 JL 10W3V3 subs, and a Pioneer GM-7300M amp (800W peak, around 250 RMS). I'm not really trying to go with components because I don't want to spend the money on quality ones, along with a multi-channel amp. I've been researching and have pretty much narrowed it down to the speakers I think I want. I couldn't find any threads from people on the .org who have used them, so I figured I'd start a thread. They are:

JL Audio VR650-CXi (front doors - 2-60W RMS)
JL Audio TR525-CXi (rear doors - 2-50W RMS)

I just wanted to know if anyone has any experience with these speakers, and how much of a difference they will make versus the stock Bose speakers, running off of a 50W x 4 peak output HU...thanks.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:35 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Head unit power will lead to worse results than what you have now. The 50x4 is a peak fantasy number. The HU does probably closer to 15x4 cleanly without clipping.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by nismos14
Head unit power will lead to worse results than what you have now. The 50x4 is a peak fantasy number. The HU does probably closer to 15x4 cleanly without clipping.
So you are saying that I should just keep the Bose speakers? The fact that aftermarket speakers are going to sound worse doesn't really make sense to me. I understand that the 50x4 peak is overrated, but I would think new speakers would still produce a better sound than what I have now.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:57 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Yes, the bose has more wattage, jl's are not that much of an upgrade and you'll have less power going to them.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:23 PM

you would be better off gettin a small 4 channel amp and sending power to ur new speakers with that.

as they all ready said HU power is not goin to give u sufficient power
Old 06-23-2008, 10:21 PM

yea the only way ure goin to really get better sound is with a good amp
Old 06-24-2008, 02:51 PM

Thanks for the answers...I've decided to just keep the stock speakers for now...they don't really even sound bad. Plus I just spent $1400 on new wheels/tires.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:51 AM

better off just waititng it out man and doing it right. If you find the bass from your subs are drowning out your bose speakers, i bring into question the type of enclosure the subs are in and the quality of the signal your amp is receiving and producing. You may also want to reduce the gain on the amp to better respond to the volume on your HU. your system sounds out of tune to me.

if you need help tuning it, hit me up on aim SuBZeRo69069 or pm me

also fyi, buy the components man, you could still run em off the HU if you needed to, not recommended though. The components are split by an x-over so yeah, just easier to do components and will sound a lot alot better. If u buy online and are careful what and where you buy, you can do this well for under 1k easy, just dont skimp on the quality of the amp. Im an avid online buyer of car **** just cause its a ****ton cheaper. I know there are ppl that disagree with this, just dont wanna start a flame war. I always shop hookedontronics.com and etronics.com for all my shtuff.

Last edited by SuBXeRo; 06-25-2008 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:07 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by SuBXeRo
better off just waititng it out man and doing it right. If you find the bass from your subs are drowning out your bose speakers, i bring into question the type of enclosure the subs are in and the quality of the signal your amp is receiving and producing. You may also want to reduce the gain on the amp to better respond to the volume on your HU. your system sounds out of tune to me.

if you need help tuning it, hit me up on aim SuBZeRo69069 or pm me

also fyi, buy the components man, you could still run em off the HU if you needed to, not recommended though. The components are split by an x-over so yeah, just easier to do components and will sound a lot alot better. If u buy online and are careful what and where you buy, you can do this well for under 1k easy, just dont skimp on the quality of the amp. Im an avid online buyer of car **** just cause its a ****ton cheaper. I know there are ppl that disagree with this, just dont wanna start a flame war. I always shop hookedontronics.com and etronics.com for all my shtuff.

Honestly, it just depends on your luck. I used to be big on online car audio purchases....I still am partially but when you run into a bad experience, you tend to think differently. I wasted a lot of money with products that were not covered under warranty. I'm descently careful with my stuff but things happen and the last/worst thing you want to happen is your expensive equipment break on you with no option to repair. Most online items are a b*tch to get repaired if they will even honor. I had an amp, set of speakers and even a head unit die on me during my lifetime. I have had great experienced with something break and an authorized dealer near me takes care of me with fast transactions and quick installs.

to each his own.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:35 PM

Why dont you try upgrading the tweeters only and then seeing how that works? Ive heard bose in three cars (corvette, h2 and g35) and while the lows n mids didnt seem so bad, it lacked badly in the highs.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by ShIft_uR FacE
Why dont you try upgrading the tweeters only and then seeing how that works? Ive heard bose in three cars (corvette, h2 and g35) and while the lows n mids didnt seem so bad, it lacked badly in the highs.

that........i can totally agree with you on