Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Question About Fuses...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 07:33 AM

Question About Fuses...

Ok, So I have 3 amps I tend on installing...

Kicker 650.4 (80 amps)
MTX TE404 (50 amps)
AQ2200 (200 amps)

I could not find a good fused distribution block so I just bought one 200amp anl fuse and 2 of the other tube looking fuses that I will put on each power lead after it hits the distribution block that I do have.

My only worry is becasue of the fuse under the hood thats 300 amps. Question is, will the amp blow the fuses i have in the trunk on the amps becasue the total amps needed is 330?

Sould I run a separate 8 guage from the battery to the MTX amp?

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:53 PM

the fuse under the hood should not exceed the current flow rating of the wire that you're using. that's really the main reason for the fuse up front. you wouldn't want the wire to overheat when the current draw exceed its rating...which should blow the appropriate sized fuse. what gauge wire are you using?

http://www.the12volt.com/wiring/recwirsz.asp

Last edited by AscendantMax; 06-20-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:07 PM

0 gauge..
Old 06-20-2008, 02:09 PM

the 300 amp should be fine...
Old 06-20-2008, 06:43 PM
blah

Do you have an H/O alt for all of that? You'd be lucky to even get 200A on a regular basis off a stock alt and keep the car running at the same time. Fuses are NOT made to protect wires. If you're still running the stock alt just use the 200A fuse for now as you'll notice plenty of dimming before the fuse blows if you're amps are actually drawing over 200A of current.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Batxel
Fuses are NOT made to protect wires.
hmm, i beg to differ. the fuse up front near the battery is mainly to protect the wire feeding the system. if the fuse rating is too high, and if the amps out back does indeed draw a ton of current, the wire can heat up easily creating a potential risk.

i agree with you that the fuses on the amp themselves, if so equipped, are meant to protect themselves from excessive current.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:15 AM

i also suggest getting a very large secondary battery for a Cap
Old 06-23-2008, 10:03 AM

Do you have an H/O alt for all of that? You'd be lucky to even get 200A on a regular basis off a stock alt and keep the car running at the same time. Fuses are NOT made to protect wires. If you're still running the stock alt just use the 200A fuse for now as you'll notice plenty of dimming before the fuse blows if you're amps are actually drawing over 200A of current.
i'm using a 220amp HO Alt from Iraggi
Old 06-23-2008, 03:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Fuses are NOT made to protect wires.
This is partially untrue. Fuses are present to protect either a wire or a piece of electronics equipment. It depends on where the fuse is placed. Most electronic equipment like car audio parts will already have manufacturer fuses in their chassis (common in amps) or on a power harness lead (common on head units or other smaller items). So in most cases, when installing fuses in a car audio situation it is to protect the wire. You should have one next to the battery on your main amp wire, then another fuse anytime after that if you go to a lower gauge.

http://bcae1.com/fuses.htm

Last edited by Bollwerk; 06-23-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:27 PM

Honestly i would just go with a circuit breaker under the hood with either 2 gauge or 0 gauge and a good rockford distribution block where it has 3 fused outputs from there.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:17 AM
blah

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
hmm, i beg to differ. the fuse up front near the battery is mainly to protect the wire feeding the system. if the fuse rating is too high, and if the amps out back does indeed draw a ton of current, the wire can heat up easily creating a potential risk.

i agree with you that the fuses on the amp themselves, if so equipped, are meant to protect themselves from excessive current.
NO, fuses are not made to protect wires.The fuse up front is to protect the battery. It should be based off the expected current for your system and nothing more.

Originally Posted by Bollwerk
This is partially untrue.
No, it is completely true. There is nothing to debate about it. The website you linked gives you a table of Recommended Maximum Fuse Size for the size wire not recommended fuse size. If you use a bigger fuse than the wire the wire will burn up before the fuse will and it is simple as that. The fuse is easier to replace than the wire is.

Your decision of fuse to use should be based off the current you expect to flow through the wire and should not be anything larger than that period.

In this situation I'd recommend sticking with 200A fuse. A fuse can handle more current than it is rated for for short periods of time unless you're participating in SPL contest than 300A fuse would be better for that situation. There's a good chance that you won't even be getting 200A to your system considering you will need to keep you engine running and battery charged.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:04 PM

NO, fuses are not made to protect wires.The fuse up front is to protect the battery. It should be based off the expected current for your system and nothing more.
yeah, it protects the battery IF there's a short in the line/excessive current draw. It'll also protect the equipment if there's not already internal fuses in them.