Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Any 5th genners have Mb quart tweeters?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2001, 11:16 PM

Any 5th genners have Mb quart tweeters?

I did a search about it, and it came up inconclusive as to what I wanted, but I know someone has done it before. I wanted to know what mb quart model(s) that were used to replace the stock tweeters. I heard that the sound quality is a lot better than the stock ones. Also, it should work even if I have the Bose right?
Old 11-06-2001, 01:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

First of all, Bose tweets are 1 ohm as far as I'm concerned. If you just plug aftermarket tweets in, you will barely hear them. Also, if you are looking for very good tweeters then take a look at Diamond Audio HEX silk, Focal TN-51 and any A/D/S tweeters.

Anton
Old 11-06-2001, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by SWEETSOUND2001
First of all, Bose tweets are 1 ohm as far as I'm concerned. If you just plug aftermarket tweets in, you will barely hear them. Also, if you are looking for very good tweeters then take a look at Diamond Audio HEX silk, Focal TN-51 and any A/D/S tweeters.

Anton
The Bose system tweeters (which are not even Bose, but Clarion, upon checking with Dave B) are 4 Ohms, but if I were to use the tweeters that you mentioned above, then would they be direct replacements for the ones already in the A-pillars? Also I want a nice tweeter that will put out a decent quality sound over the stock tweeters....but nothing that will break the bank.
Old 11-06-2001, 12:32 PM

I think the MBQuart tweeters should be hot enough for you to get some ear piercing highs out of them due to their high efficiency. I assume you are using the stock system amplifier?

Make sure the ones you get come with a crossover or high pass capacitor because when you remove the stock tweeters you will probably not use the small highpass cap they have on them. You don't want any bass signals entering your tweeters as they are designed to handle only 4kHz-20kHz of the sound frequency...
Old 11-06-2001, 03:22 PM

i was gonna post and help but looks like u guys summed it all up...

Adam
Old 11-07-2001, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by CanuckAMP
I think the MBQuart tweeters should be hot enough for you to get some ear piercing highs out of them due to their high efficiency. I assume you are using the stock system amplifier?

Make sure the ones you get come with a crossover or high pass capacitor because when you remove the stock tweeters you will probably not use the small highpass cap they have on them. You don't want any bass signals entering your tweeters as they are designed to handle only 4kHz-20kHz of the sound frequency...

Listen to what everyone here has already suggested. In addition, I would like to add that MB Quart tweeters are EXTREMELY bright and I think they might be a little overkill considering you'd be mounting them in the door pillars. First of all, I'm totally against mounting tweeters that far away from their counterparts...in this case, the
6 1/2-inch woofers in the doors. This far away from the woofers and the tweeters will stop acting in conjuction with the woofers (like they should) and start acting like separate speakers, which you don't want. At least with the stock Bose system, they have blended them fairly well as far as I can tell. But if you add your own tweeters, especially something as bright as MB Quart, then you may not like your results.

If you have your mind set on these, then ask the shop you're buying them from if you can test some out by temporarily mounting them with velcro or something to the door pillars. Make sure you tell them exactly what you're doing or you may be stuck with them. If you like the sound, then problem solved!!

Tony
Old 11-07-2001, 12:52 PM

Fist off I have quart tweeters in the a piller. Second they are not over bright that is a miss conception. In fact they have bytul(spelling) rubber surround to damp them. You can also cross them over down to about 3k and they will be fine. you do not need to have the passive x over in i think all active is better...but the passive x over is ok.

Also the a piller and door mirror cover are two very different things.
Old 11-07-2001, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by max'n out
Fist off I have quart tweeters in the a piller. Second they are not over bright that is a miss conception. In fact they have bytul(spelling) rubber surround to damp them. You can also cross them over down to about 3k and they will be fine. you do not need to have the passive x over in i think all active is better...but the passive x over is ok.

Also the a piller and door mirror cover are two very different things.
If he's just using the same two channel amplififier that currently drives the stock speakers he WILL need a crossover for the MBQuart tweeters. He has not indicated that he's going to be running dedicated amplifier channels for these tweeters....