Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

More questions on bypassing Bose amps

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2001, 09:02 AM

More questions on bypassing Bose amps

Yes yes, I know this has been covered a billion times, and I've read over every thread 3 times or so. I own a 92 GXE and have Bose (duh). Here's my situation:
I want to keep Bose speakers and drive them with my HU and eventually replace each speaker set when I have more money.
1)Installed a Sony Xplod 550x HU with all adaptors
2)Everything works just as before when I had my double din (front right speaker is nice and loud but left front is still weak).
3)Bypassed rear speakers by cutting the thick red and black wires on the harness LEADING to the amps. Got NO sound from those speakers. Even the left rear, whose amp was pathetically working, didn't make any sound.

The only improvement I saw was that my right front speaker was louder than before and that's because I'm amping it twice (w/ HU and own amp). I don't want to bust open the door panels yet since bypassing the rear proved futile.

So my questions are:
1)Did I bypass the rears correctly?
2)If I did bypass them correctly, then does no sound mean that my rears are blown?

Please help if you can in anyway. I would like to get all four speakers up and running again. I've been listening to my right front for a couple of months now, so instead of having a stereo, it's mono.
Old 11-11-2001, 10:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if you cut the wires to the amp for the back speakers, did you rewire them directly from the headunit. If not the speakers are not getting any signal. In order to bypass the amps, you need to connect the leads from the HU to the spaeker terminals, not the amp terminals. By simply cutting the wires to the harness, you have cut off all signal to the back speakers.
Hope this helps.
Old 11-11-2001, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the response. After I posted, I went back out and connected the speaker wires from the harness directly to the speaker terminals. It works for the left rear, but the right rear is still a little shakey sometimes. I will do the fronts next weekend or something. Thanks.
Old 11-12-2001, 01:01 PM

If i remember correctly from my 3rd gen, the black and red wires on all four corners are the power and ground for the amps, I think that the speaker leads are yellow and green with different stripes, but I could be wrong there. To figure out the speaker leads you can take out your stereo and locate the wires in the connector, this will help you figure out what colored wires to splice into. I had done the same thing on my 96 when I got it but now I don't use any BOSE wiring.
Old 11-13-2001, 04:40 PM

this is what i did to my bose...i have a 95....cut the harness before each amp...tape up the power and ground lead...put a female connector on existing speaker wire...from behind the headunit...with the adaptor just wire it up as it says....then that's it...