Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Easy place to put amp control wire?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 10:39 AM

Easy place to put amp control wire?

I found a good audio thread awhile back, I'm sure it had everything I need to know. I searched and everything, couldnt find it. I thought it might be in the 4th gen. section, because the person was using a 4th gen. Maxima.

What I need is, I need to know where the blue control wire goes. The amp kit that I got didnt come with anything, except the wires and things. It didnt tell me where to put all the wires and such. I work with electronics and such, but an amp I just dont understand fully. I was told that I can temporary put it on the positive side of the battery, and when I turn my car off to unplug the positive and control wires from the amp.

Please, do not get all madd because I cant find the thread. I really did look! I searched "How to install an amp", "Amp wiring", and "Installing an amp", nothing. I was really trying to find the thread I was looking for, but I still was trying to find where the blue control wire goes. I got the negative and the postive wire connected, but the amp will not work, unless the blue control wire is connected to the positive lead.

Thanks alot, if you helped.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:03 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Check the FSM for amp remote turn on wire, then tap that wire with the blue wire for remote on the amp.

I may be wrong but it could be a purple wire behind the head unit. Just confirm it with someone.

DO NOT hook this up directly to the battery.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:47 PM
Suspension Yoda

Or,

If you have an aftermarket head unit, hook it up to the remote turn on lead, which will also be a solid blue wire. Not a blue/white wire.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:38 PM

I know theres a plug in for the control turn on I guess for the amp, the thing is, its like a headphone style plug in, I've got plenty of those plugs, I just dont want to mess up the stereo, so much money to just throw away. I would really like to hear a real audio guys openion before I actually do it(if you guys/girls are audio pros, sorry, just let me know if you are).
Old 01-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Suspension Yoda

Sorry, WHAT?

A headphone plug is your remote turn on?

Or are you talking about the remote bass gain ****?
Old 01-10-2009, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by snowboi1289
I know theres a plug in for the control turn on I guess for the amp, the thing is, its like a headphone style plug in, I've got plenty of those plugs, I just dont want to mess up the stereo, so much money to just throw away. I would really like to hear a real audio guys openion before I actually do it(if you guys/girls are audio pros, sorry, just let me know if you are).
Your remote turn on wire should be coming out of the back of the HU along with the other wires. Just figure out which one it is, tap it, and run the wire along the side of the car with your amp power.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:04 AM

I checked with the people from where I got the stereo, and I would have to buy a special connector, I would have bought it. But I thought it would be much better to make my own switch, well I didnt make a switch, I bought it from parts express. I will be buying more switches to use for some other things. I put the switch where the change go, like quatersand dimes go in the center c.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Suspension Yoda

Now you're talking about switches? I'd like to help, but haven't the faintest clue what your issue exactly is. Pictures, descriptions, SOMETHING would help.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:42 PM

I'll try to take some pictures tomarrow. Its just a basic switch.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:05 PM

find the fuse that is turning on the stereo. and tap into the fuse itself with the remote wire. simple and easy. now your amp will turn on with the radio
Old 01-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by .aNiMaL
find the fuse that is turning on the stereo. and tap into the fuse itself with the remote wire. simple and easy. now your amp will turn on with the radio
the problem with doing that is if you turn off the radio while driving (for the times when you just want to listen to the car and the road) the amp will still be powered on. Not sure if this is a big deal for you but I constantly drive without any music, just listening to the engine, the car and the road. It would definitly bother me if my amp was constantly powered on at that time, shortening its life. Especially if you have a more expensive amp that you wouldn't want to die prematurely.

Do you have a radio harness adapter, it usually comes with a remote wire thats blue.

hope this helps abit.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:56 AM
Suspension Yoda

Not to mention if you power it with the constant +12v it will be on when the car is OFF, which will drain your battery very quickly. You'd have to make sure you're tapping the accessory wire, not the +12v, for this to even be a feasible option.

Do it once, do it right. But I still have no clue what the OP is trying to talk about. Whether it's the amp remote turn on wire, or if it's the bass gain ****/control wire.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by .aNiMaL
exactly what i would do, and ahve done in the past. simple and easy.

Originally Posted by nsnrider
the problem with doing that is if you turn off the radio while driving (for the times when you just want to listen to the car and the road) the amp will still be powered on. Not sure if this is a big deal for you but I constantly drive without any music, just listening to the engine, the car and the road. It would definitly bother me if my amp was constantly powered on at that time, shortening its life. Especially if you have a more expensive amp that you wouldn't want to die prematurely.
no. the fuse only has 12v when the radio is on...
Old 01-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Suspension Yoda

Is there an echo in here?
Old 01-13-2009, 11:42 AM

I hop everybody knows that I dont need to know this anymore. The switch looks professional (in my openion) and is very easy to use. When ever I dont feel like listening to the loud bass, I just turn it off, that means I'll have to turn off the stereo too, because with the Bose speakers and speaker amps, there pretty good with the bass.

From my point of view, its badass, but I've seen/been in plenty of cars that have way better subs and amps then me. I've been in a friends car, the system was so loud, it broke the rear view mirror off the windsheild, ruind both window regulators (some how), and scared the hell outta every car around him.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:01 PM

Heres some pictures

Here is the video (its not 100% done yet, I'll still be adding on to it over the days, weeks) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKfRD0KMhjc
Old 01-13-2009, 02:07 PM
Banned

reroute the wires so they don't look like such crap. you can lift off the back leather part of the arm rest and route the wires underneath. i did the exact same thing as you did when i got my 1st setup in my 4th gen when i was 16.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:15 PM

I said I wasnt 100% done
(its not 100% done yet, I'll still be adding on to it over the days, weeks)
I will fix everything at another time. The audio wires are short, as you can see in one picture, they came apart. I got them from an old T.V. connection thing from a game system. I need to buy a brand new one, once I have some money.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Which Wire

Hey Guys, i have a lot of different wires coming out of the back of my head unit, how do i know which wire to connect my system control wire to??
cheers
Old 10-14-2011, 11:37 PM

just match up the colors, all the wires are color/pattern coded.

are you trying to connect an aftermarket head unit to your car's harness?
Old 10-15-2011, 10:02 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by moir
Hey Guys, i have a lot of different wires coming out of the back of my head unit, how do i know which wire to connect my system control wire to??
cheers
Read the install manual.

The remote turn on is blue with a white stripe. Don't get it confused with the all blue wire, which is your power antenna wire.