Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

sub randomly stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 07:56 PM

sub randomly stopped working

So just a few days ago I re-installed my sub into my maxima, it had been working fine until one day I flipped my amp up into the back seat armrest, (my college is in a ghetto area) but i came out afterwards turned down the armrest and turned on my car, it worked for about a second and then shut off. Its a bazooka amp and the light went from blue to red. After I had gotten home I turned off my car then turned it back on like maybe it'll just work again, when I turned my car back on it was like I had my sub all the way up and it was just continuous, so i thought maybe I needed new rca wires because they were causing a humming sound and thats why it was like that. I got new rcas hooked them up prayed it would work, well it did but only for about two seconds, it went red again, not only that, but now my amp was on when my car was off, i checked the remote and all wires, which seemed to be fine then checked the power to the amp and it was perfectly fine. I'm lost, somebody help me. I also pulled open my amp and vaguely looked over it and nothing was blown and the coil was fine.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:20 PM

Weird, something along those lines recently happened to me on sunday. I recently just switched cars, back to the maxima i was driving when i was 15. I decided to sell my subaru legacy and settle with the maxima. So i moved my system over, wired everything. Ended up blowing my 100amp fuse, after replacing it, my amp wasn't working. I Thought i blew my amp, or was thinking my remote wire was a little faulty (bad connection). I left all the wires plugged in, while on my drive back to philly, 15 minutes into it, my subs decided to kick in (big smile on my face). Still not sure what happened, since then, it occasionally cuts off (a minute or so every few hours of driving).

Anyways, back to OT. My guesses are:
1.)RCA and power wires are ran together, supposedly, it's suppose to create some power radiation to your RCA's, distorting sound? i never had the problem
2.)your remote wire is not making a good connection.
3.)bad grounding?

I'm not an experienced car audio installer... I'm just throwing in my .02
Old 09-09-2009, 07:33 PM

it turned out to be all the way up at the back of the stereo itself the wiring harness was made cheap and made a bad connection with the remote wire
Old 09-10-2009, 12:10 AM

glad it was a simple fix! that's why i tend to solder every connection behind the headunit...or at the very least make sure the crimps on the butt connectors are good.