Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

A few questions for the guru's

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 03:07 PM
2003 Nisan Maxima

A few questions for the guru's

What's up org? I am beginning to build my stereo for my max. The equipment I will be using will not be top notch, like some of you guys have here. Basically, cause I'm broke . Most of the equipment will be Alpine, MTX, and Audiobahn.

Ok so onto my questions. Please keep in mind I don't need the top of the line products. I am willing to spend the extra cash on a worthy product but not something that will break me. I need recommedations on two pieces for my stereo build.

1. I will be adding a back-up camera in my trunk. Since new electronics come out daily. I'd like some input on a good camera, something for use during the day and night. I've heard people having troubles with their back-up cameras breaking after a year or so. I want to purchase a camera that will not break on me within a year. Any suggestions here would help? Links?

2. What is everyone using for sound proofing these days? There are so many products on the market right now, I don't know what's good or bad any more. I'd like to sound proof my trunk, all 4 doors, and the rear deck. Again, any input would be great.

Thanks all!
John
Old 10-29-2009, 06:00 AM
Suspension Yoda

For what you're willing to spend on Alpine, MTX, Audiobahn - if you spend just a little bit more you can get MUCH higher quality products.

1. Need more info. What head unit/screen are you putting in?
2. There's a deadening thread with a lot of good info - check it out first.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:13 AM
Sold

I used "hushmat" to deaden the rear deck and "Cascade" to do the front doors. Other than how difficult the Cascade product was to work with, I personally can't really hear any difference between the two.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:06 PM

I used Dynamat Xtreme. I got a good price on a pack on Ebay.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:12 PM
2003 Nisan Maxima

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
For what you're willing to spend on Alpine, MTX, Audiobahn - if you spend just a little bit more you can get MUCH higher quality products.

1. Need more info. What head unit/screen are you putting in?
2. There's a deadening thread with a lot of good info - check it out first.
I hear ya, but 3/4's of the equipment is already purchased. I've had most of the pieces for a few years and I just haven't had the time to install it. This was intended to be put into my 4th Gen before it was totaled. Regardless, I can always update my selection in the future. Sad thing is my pocket doesn't justify me to be buying all new stuff right now.

I currently have an alpine type x component system. I intend to buy a 2nd component system and I was planning on getting another Alpine set since I like the quality and price. I am open to suggestions on any other component systems that may match Alpine's price and perhaps beat their sound quality. Since I will be dropping about $200 on a 2nd component set anyways perhaps it may be wise to invest in something a step up from Alpine.

1. Headunit will be an Alpine Iva-d900
2. I've read through most of it. However, I wanted more of a general insight from people who have installed various types of deadening products. Still feel like I need a variety of input here.

Originally Posted by JSMax
I used "hushmat" to deaden the rear deck and "Cascade" to do the front doors. Other than how difficult the Cascade product was to work with, I personally can't really hear any difference between the two.
thanks for the input. I def. want something that will be easy to work with. What did you sepnd on the 2 products combined?

Originally Posted by 1hawaii50
I used Dynamat Xtreme. I got a good price on a pack on Ebay.
thanks for the input as well. I will check out ebay but I am still open to other suggestions

Last edited by Teaner; 10-29-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:59 AM
Suspension Yoda

2 component sets is not recommended. Keep a component set up front and a coaxial set in the rear. Many of us don't even run rear speakers.

And if you're willing to spend $200 on 'another set' of components, sell your first set and put the $300 towards a REALLY nice front set only.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:39 AM
2003 Nisan Maxima

2 component sets is not recommended. Keep a component set up front and a coaxial set in the rear. Many of us don't even run rear speakers.

And if you're willing to spend $200 on 'another set' of components, sell your first set and put the $300 towards a REALLY nice front set only.
I should have given more detail to my build. The 2nd component set will just be used for the woofers. I will be keeping the tweeters as backup purposes only.

Any suggestions on a higher end component set?

Last edited by Teaner; 10-30-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:04 AM
Suspension Yoda

Well, that's...overkill, but ok.

Rainbow SLC kickbass can be had for $300 or less. I think Germaniums are in the 350-450 range.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:41 AM
2003 Nisan Maxima

Well, that's...overkill, but ok.
more **** than anything.

Rainbow SLC kickbass can be had for $300 or less. I think Germaniums are in the 350-450 range.
Thanks, Ill check them out.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:15 PM

Def. look into the Rainbows. I had soundlines in my 3rd gen and they sounded great. I beleive I paid ~220 through a group buy a few years back. They sound amazing and can be had for somewhat cheap until you get into the really high end. I would put my soundlines up against many focals and morels anyday when I had them.

The alpine type X comps aren't too shabby though. I actually perfer their sound over the type Rs in a good build (not as loud though). When I worked at BestBuy I was amazed at how nice they sounded in some of the builds those guys did(the 07 and 08 versions that is) not to bad for a budget build especially if you already have them.

But remember the build can be just as important as the products used. I completely sealed my doors with plexi glass and Fatmat (very similar to dynamat and hushmat and often cheaper). When working with those products a blowdryer/heat gun or some kind of way to heat them up during install will make them much easier to work with. They can be very stiff when cold but heat makes them extremely plyable and will make positioning and getting them on perfect 10x easier. In the trunk a liquid sound deadener (that you kind of paint on) will work well and be the cheaper option. I feel that most of the big brand deadening products are very similar and if you going for a "budget build" just look out for the best deal.

Just my $.02
Old 10-31-2009, 04:13 PM
Sold

I got the cascade off e-bay and I think it was around 50 bucks shipped. It was a few years back.

The hushmat I picked up from a local store and got 2 sheets (enough to do the rear deck) for ten bucks.
I think I pretty much stole that from them but hey... whatevar.

Here's a link to the seller that I got the cascade from. It's for a trunk kit though.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/CAE-TK-1-Cascade-...item20a111b9b4