Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Aftermarket sub and amp addition to stock BOSE

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 09:17 AM

Aftermarket sub and amp addition to stock BOSE

Hey guys, I need help over here i am ripping my hair out!!!

I bought a brand new rockford fostage dual voice coil 2ohm 12" sub and a brand new JL audio 500.1 J2 amp.

I used a 50 dollar best buy bought Line Out Converter to obtain a signal off my two rear speakers to feed to the amp. I Spliced the +/- off left rear and +/- off the rear right speaker to hook up the LOC and ran the RCA cables to the amp WITH NO SUCCESS.

The amp is on, the gains are maxed out, on the amp and the LOC and the sub does not hit. I tested the sub, and tested the amp, both work its just something in the RCA signal that is not right. My amp is rated to accept 1-4volts as RCA line level input and im reading 2.5 volts off the rear speakers. Problem is when i hook up my LOC my voltage drops to 0 or .1V which is not enough to feed the amp. At first i thought it was my LOC so i got another one, same problem. Please help, what am i doing wrong?
Old 10-25-2010, 03:04 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

You likely have the + and - reversed on one side of the LOC, just try to swap that on one side see if anything changes. If not check and see if the sub is wired properly.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:15 PM

I tried the line out converter and it worked fine for a while... But i finally just bought an after market deck and got it done right and it made a HUGE difference... The LOC just doesnt seperate the left, right signals very well and it holds to much of the trebel from the speakers. If you run the aftermarket radio with the jacks in the back, you can adjust the settings to 80mhz so the door speakers only have the treble and the subs are pushing 98% of the bass giving you the best quality of sound,,,,
Old 10-26-2010, 02:22 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

^ IF you tapped the rear speakrs in a bose car those speakers are crossed over by the bose amp, hence the lack of full signal.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:41 AM

I used a line out converter way back in the day, had terrible results with it. Ended up getting rid of it and puting in the PAC AOEM-NIS2 and it worked great. Have one in my current Maxima as well, and again works great.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:04 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

All that is, is a glorified LOC, you can do the same thing tapping wires behind the HU. I do agree that it is a cleaner way of doing it though.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

80Mhz? wow. I'm surprised you heard anything. j/k :-)
Originally Posted by maxima 21
I tried the line out converter and it worked fine for a while... But i finally just bought an after market deck and got it done right and it made a HUGE difference... The LOC just doesnt seperate the left, right signals very well and it holds to much of the trebel from the speakers. If you run the aftermarket radio with the jacks in the back, you can adjust the settings to 80mhz so the door speakers only have the treble and the subs are pushing 98% of the bass giving you the best quality of sound,,,,
Old 02-09-2011, 08:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just purchased an 05 Maxima w/ Bose, looking to wire in a 15" rockford P2 for more bass, and less wear/tear on the stock Bose speakers.

It looks like there have been a few problems using a Line-Out Converter directly connected to the rear right/left Bose speakers.

I've heard if you wire the Line-Out Converter BETWEEN the stock head-unit output and the stock Bose amp, it works properly? rather than wiring it AFTER the amp to the speakers?

I hope that makes sense...

any ideas? Just wondering the easiest way to wire an aftermarket sub/amp to the STOCK bose unit, any input would be great! thanks!
Old 02-09-2011, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Surrey
Just purchased an 05 Maxima w/ Bose, looking to wire in a 15" rockford P2 for more bass, and less wear/tear on the stock Bose speakers.

It looks like there have been a few problems using a Line-Out Converter directly connected to the rear right/left Bose speakers.

I've heard if you wire the Line-Out Converter BETWEEN the stock head-unit output and the stock Bose amp, it works properly? rather than wiring it AFTER the amp to the speakers?

I hope that makes sense...

any ideas? Just wondering the easiest way to wire an aftermarket sub/amp to the STOCK bose unit, any input would be great! thanks!
Should probably start a new thread, but this will do.

This is just my 2 cents i don't know if anyone has had any different experience. Using a Bose head unit, it automatically has a line output which goes to the Bose amplifier, instead of a speaker output which would go directly to the speakers themselves. You should be able to just tap the wires of the right +/- and left +/- and hook them up to your amp via RCA wires. It should have the right voltage for your amp. I'm saying this because whenever you upgrade the head unit on a car with Bose, you the adapter usually just plugs into the RCA jacks, not the speaker level outputs. Also, you still might want to considering upgrading the head unit just for the full level of control and better sound. Hope this is any help.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:12 AM

Since it's just a sub, all you need to do is get the line out of one of the sub speakers. You don't need to get them both. It's a mono signal anyway.

That's all I've done, LOC off one factory sub speaker, to a JL 500/1 and it's plenty of signal. I have the output up about 3/4 on the LOC, and still had to turn down the amp a bit to achieve the right sound...